Bilstein 5100 shock question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried bumping an old thread but got no response. I'm trying to order new shocks pretty quick and having trouble figuring out which Bilsteins to order. I don't feel like the part numbers they are suggesting are going to work for me.

FJ40 Bilstein 5100 and 5150 shock part numbers

I have not flexed my truck out, but on flat ground my front shock mounts measure 17" from top post to axle post. Spring under, stock leaf springs with SORs inch and half shackles (4 1/2") center to center. The Bilstein 5125 claims to work for 0-2" lifted trucks but only advertises an extended length of 18.5" for the fronts. I don't need to go flex my axle to know that I'm going to have more than 1.5" of drop so I can't see that working. The rear model of the 5125 advertises an extended length of 22.58" and 14.13" collapsed. So should I just order 4 rears? My rear shock posts are 17.5" apart sitting on flat ground.

I don't have a clue about suspension geometry, but this guy seems to make sense. I'm going to use this method to order mine. There is one video for the front and one for the back measurement. For the gurus, Is this correct?

I'll Georgle it then. I was supposed to call @orangefj45 today anyway to order power steering parts. I'll just add shocks to my list of topics I need to discuss with him.

Jason

I read your previous post as I'm also interested but didn't reply because...I have no answers. I was also interested in the 4600 series (I think those are the numbers) which apparently is a bit softer but if I understand correctly they only work for stock height trucks. Good luck.

Thanks for the referrals guys, I really appreciate it.
Imho, the only way to ensure you're getting the right shocks is to unbolt the current shocks ( if there are any ), then articulate the suspension and measure for full compression and extension.
Yes, we're a Billstein dealer and would be happy to help.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

^^^^
x2 on that the only way to confirm what compressed/extended lengths you need is to cycle the suspension to measure it anything else is just guessing and running the risk of shocks that bottoming out or cant extend fully and that results in limiting travel and usually damaging the shocks

I recently put Bilstein 5125 (062518) on the front of my stock 1970 FJ40 (0 lift) and they fit great. In an earlier post someone had recommended running the 062518 on the rear as well. I'm about to buy the rear shocks and was looking for feedback from anyone who is running these on the rear of their rig.

I tried bumping an old thread but got no response. I'm trying to order new shocks pretty quick and having trouble figuring out which Bilsteins to order. I don't feel like the part numbers they are suggesting are going to work for me.

FJ40 Bilstein 5100 and 5150 shock part numbers

I have not flexed my truck out, but on flat ground my front shock mounts measure 17" from top post to axle post. Spring under, stock leaf springs with SORs inch and half shackles (4 1/2") center to center. The Bilstein 5125 claims to work for 0-2" lifted trucks but only advertises an extended length of 18.5" for the fronts. I don't need to go flex my axle to know that I'm going to have more than 1.5" of drop so I can't see that working. The rear model of the 5125 advertises an extended length of 22.58" and 14.13" collapsed. So should I just order 4 rears? My rear shock posts are 17.5" apart sitting on flat ground.

Which Bilstein rear shock did you go with?
"I recently put Bilstein 5125 (062518) on the front of my stock 1970 FJ40 (0 lift) and they fit great. In an earlier post someone had recommended running the 062518 on the rear as well. I'm about to buy the rear shocks and was looking for feedback from anyone who is running these on the rear of their rig. "

My 40 is a stock 1972... I read the same thing you did... and not sure which REARS to pick up... Pretty sure that anything will be better than the 44 year old shocks on it now... How did it go... do you recommend the billsteins? Did you put them on yourself? I have a buddy with a lift... It looks pretty simple. remove the old ones and put the new one on... Did you need additional parts?

HE finally went with the 185606 on the rear. They were a couple of inches longer than I needed, but they fit and I've been driving with them for a couple of months. Pretty pleased with them. I installed them myself by jacking the frame up as high as possible without lifting the wheels. I compressed them by hand and tied them in the compressed position with a rope and put them in place. No other parts required. Fairly simple replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom