Big Synthetic or Down Sleeping Bag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I volunteered at a Veterans assistance fair. As a veteran, I was told to pick an item (one for myself and one for the wife who also volunteered). I picked up two -30 deg GI Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag systemss=patrol bag, inner bag, bivvy bag and gore-tex cover. Great and BIG! Stuff down to a reasonable size. Seen them on Amazon for less than $100 (used)=they have gone up recently!!!!! ($$$$$$$$).:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Last edited:
Exped also makes a duo Megamat 77.6 x 52 - EXPED best money ever spent for camping and Im super cheap.
No sleeping bag for me normal bedding and a heated blanky. 158° blanky is a game changer.

View attachment 1929604
Wonder how long a Jackery would run an electric blanket?

Wonder how long a Jackery would run an electric blanket?
You have to know consumption, if you can find it, and your stored energy.

The few I've looked at in the store seem to draw about 3 amps, so very roughly 12 V x 3 A = 36 watts.

A Jackery 300 stores 293 watt-hours. So to calculate how long to zero you do 293 W-hr / 36 watts = 8.14 hours.

Many of them have timers, so they may not actually stay on more than 30 minutes or an hour.

Also, it's important when doing capacity calculations to know just how deeply you can discharge your battery. Generally speaking a lead-acid can't deliver 100% of it's rating without rapidly accelerating its aging. So it's best to assume really only about 50% of the A-hr or W-hr number if you want a battery to last over many cycles of charge/discharge.

However, a Jackery 300 uses lithium batteries that aren't harmed with deeper than 50% and the device will have protection circuits to prevent actual damage so you would be safe to go deeper than 50%. I doubt Jackery includes all that much margin in their quoted capacity beyond what's necessary though, so using all 293 W-hr routinely will probably wear it out faster than stopping sooner.

Last edited:
OP. Check out Kelly Tuck 40/20/0 I’m looking at getting one as soon as supply catches up
for the back of the cruiser. I sleep exclusively on a cot in the back. Big foot box that unzips.

For car camping, I am looking for a big synthetic or down sleeping bag. Big because I (hypothetically) don't like to feel constricted by a mummy style bag when I'm car camping. Synthetic or down because I don't want the sleeping bag to take up half the volume of the 80 behind the 2nd row seats when it's packed. Have a family of 4 so we have enough bulky stuff as it is.

Something like this but that will pack down small: Amazon product ASIN B001FSJAQG
I know it will take more body heat to keep the bag warm, but that's the case with these big bags too, so...

Am having trouble finding. Should I be considering a different approach? Bag should be good to 20F, down to 0F would be a plus but not necessary.
down is lighter, warmer per ounce and packs smaller than synthetic fibers, that’s why lightweight hikers and mountaineers prefer it (every little ounce matters at altitude) when in dry areas.

the disadvantage of down is expense and down quickly loses its insulation properties when wet or damp. Synthetic fibers insulate well even when wet.

For car camping where the weight of a sleeping bag doesn’t matter I would say synthetic 100%.

down is lighter, warmer per ounce and packs smaller than synthetic fibers, that’s why lightweight hikers and mountaineers prefer it (every little ounce matters at altitude) when in dry areas.

the disadvantage of down is expense and down quickly loses its insulation properties when wet or damp. Synthetic fibers insulate well even when wet.

For car camping where the weight of a sleeping bag doesn’t matter I would say synthetic 100%.
Yeah, understand the difference between synthetic and down.

I was trying to distinguish between a quilted-style sleeping bag, which is huge when packed, and either a synthetic or down sleeping bag, which are much smaller. Down would be the smallest, but synthetic is not that much bigger, all things considered when car camping.

From the Mountain Warehouse website:

" There are three types for down jackets, Sewn Through, Box Baffle or Heat Seamed Baffle.

Sewn Through

This is the most common type of down jacket, most Mountain Warehouse down items are made using this method. Sewn through is just as the name suggests, chambers are created between stitches as the outer fabric is sewn through to the inner fabric lining. No extra fabric is added so the item is usually more lightweight than something using the box baffle technique.

Box Baffle
The box baffle items have small chambers of down, separated by a wall of fabric. Imagine a line of squares next to each other, touching, that is what box baffle looks like. Extra fabric is added, meaning it can be heavier than a jacket using the sewn through method, and because extra fabric is used and the technique is more complex, box baffle items are often more expensive.

Heat Seamed
Heat seamed baffle (sometimes called welded or bonded) is when the outer fabric is bonded together with the inner fabric using heat. Like the sewn through technique, chambers are created between the bonded baffle. However, as there is no stitching, warmth can’t escape from the seams. This can also make this type of down jacket more wind and water resistant."

However, sewn through can be colder because the seams lack insulation.

1642108013335.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom