Big idiot checking in - OME Springs / Torsion Reindex (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed the longer spring (10mm longer I believe) of my OME 2860 pair on the wrong side :doh:

Some context: This install was a big deal for me. I have never done anything outside of an oil change and here I am trying to be a big boy. It's a piece of cake job for most here but I assure you, I was way outside of my comfort zone. I'm also a perfectionist so I took my time (about 4 hours total :eek:).

Post install I felt good. The truck drove SO much better. Braking felt night and day. It was just driving right and I attribute it to having a proper droop. In the past, I cranked the torsion bars to level me out a bit and the ride felt noticeably worse. Now that I have the 2"+ lift in the rear, I think it brought the truck back to "spec."

The stink bug stance didn't look too bad but I went ahead and reindexed my torsion bars anyway. What a pain that was. Post reindex, the ride felt bad again. Sluggish and poor braking.

Here is what I measure from center of the hub to fender lip with a full tank of gas.

Driver Front - 53mm
Driver Rear - 55mm

Passenger Front - 53mm
Passenger Rear - 58mm (due to the spring install) :doh:

Couple questions. Do I have a proper droop here? Should I leave the springs as is or switch them out? How big of a deal is it?

Thanks guys!

I would swap the rear coils to the correct side then make sure you have at least a 1" rake. These trucks don't like to be leveled evenly. Hopefully that will help the handling/ride characteristics your experiencing. Your sitting about a 2" lift up front so you hold have the proper amount of droop.

Did you install new shocks?

get some UCA's, rake is over rated :clap:

I would swap the rear coils to the correct side then make sure you have at least a 1" rake. These trucks don't like to be leveled evenly. Hopefully that will help the handling/ride characteristics your experiencing. Your sitting about a 2" lift up front so you hold have the proper amount of droop.

Did you install new shocks?

Sounds good and no I didn't install new shocks. I might just knock that out since I'll be in there again :hmm:

get some UCA's, rake is over rated :clap:

Can you clarify? Would I get the ride quality back while be leveled out?

Sounds good and no I didn't install new shocks. I might just knock that out since I'll be in there again :hmm:
Are you running OEM? If so you shouldn't be experiencing too harsh of a ride.

Alignment? Toe will likely change if you raise the front. That would lead to numb or unresponsive steering when going straight.

Can you be more descriptive in your concerns about ride quality?

Are you running OEM? If so you shouldn't be experiencing too harsh of a ride.

Yup - I'm at 117,000 miles on my 2002 and they haven't been replaced yet.

Alignment? Toe will likely change if you raise the front. That would lead to numb or unresponsive steering when going straight.

Can you be more descriptive in your concerns about ride quality?

Braking always feels way more labored when I bring up the front end. In fact, everything feels more labored from handling to acceleration, but mostly braking. When I had the stink bug stance, it drove the way it did when I first bought it which was fantastic.

To answer your question your front droop is at the bottom end of usable range (50mm) so 60mm or even 70mm would be better if you are running OEM UCAs.

braking shouldn't be affected by raising the car slightly. Hmmm. Is the front end diving down too much? New springs and stock shocks?

Are the stock shocks perhaps worn out? I use Bilstein HDs and they are firm and controlled compared to the stock shocks. But I'm still at stock ride height.

To answer your question your front droop is at the bottom end of usable range (50mm) so 60mm or even 70mm would be better if you are running OEM UCAs.

Wait so you are saying go higher?

braking shouldn't be affected by raising the car slightly. Hmmm. Is the front end diving down too much? New springs and stock shocks?

Are the stock shocks perhaps worn out? I use Bilstein HDs and they are firm and controlled compared to the stock shocks. But I'm still at stock ride height.

The shocks could be worn out (not sure how to physically check that) but that wouldn't explain why braking feels much better when the front end is lower. I'm at 117,000 miles on the stock shocks. I'm not sure I notice the front end diving much but I'll pay a little more attention to it next time I'm out.

If it's not the front end height that is causing the more labored feeling braking, then I'm very curious as to what is causing it :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom