Big Country Drawers installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed my Rugged Bound drawers today. Very impressed with the system and the order process. Theo from @RuggedBound was great to work with; he kept me in the loop with the shipping and even had time for a couple of goofy questions. After taking the third row out, I put down a layer of Canopus sound deadening mat, then put a layer of Noico Red sound insulation over that. I didn't take a picture of the sound mat. Probably a bit of overkill there.

Thanks to @giovanni for the idea of these drawers. They're perfect for our needs.

Next is continuous 12V power to the back for the fridge.

67597360824__FC808C73-9A04-4D92-9655-5C6530F19606.JPEG

IMG_4107.JPEG

IMG_4100.JPEG

GX 460 window.jpeg

That looks fantastic! I wasn't aware that if one removed the third row that a drawer system would sit flush with the middle row folded down.
Or almost flush, since the middle row looks to tip up a wee bit.

Make sure you check out @THEOZMAN’s options for third row power tap. I wish I stumbled on his thread before I routed cables from my engine bay for the fridge….nice looking setup!

Installed my Rugged Bound drawers today. Very impressed with the system and the order process. Theo from @RuggedBound was great to work with; he kept me in the loop with the shipping and even had time for a couple of goofy questions. After taking the third row out, I put down a layer of Canopus sound deadening mat, then put a layer of Noico Red sound insulation over that. I didn't take a picture of the sound mat. Probably a bit of overkill there.

Thanks to @giovanni for the idea of these drawers. They're perfect for our needs.

Next is continuous 12V power to the back for the fridge.

View attachment 3024450

View attachment 3024459

View attachment 3024460

View attachment 3024470
Beautiful install! I have the same drawer system sitting in my garage awaiting install. How did you negotiate the thick wire that runs parallel to the door? I'm trying to determine where the lip of the drawer system falls relative to that wire. Any insight would be much appreciated!

20221209_203758.jpg

20221209_203805.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Just completed my Big Country 4x4 drawer (purchased from awesome supplier Rugged Bound). Here are my observations now that the job is complete:
  • The product is great -- well made, lots of storage, sturdy, looks like it belongs in the vehicle
  • Big Country's instructions are awful -- so much room for improvement (e.g., detail out the steps, show bigger/better quality photos, make an instructional video, explain how best to place the carpet pieces, how to navigate the wires, etc.). For me, this was a two banana job that should have been one with proper instructions.
  • The holes didn't line up on the two metal side trim panels -- had to ream them out a bit with a drill, no big deal
  • The nut cages that hold on the top are very fragile (I lost two despite being very gentle). Big Country should include a few extras to replace the ones that will inevitably break during install
  • The drawer tray was mounted to the right drawer, but it doesn't open the whole way because it hits the top of the tailgate on the GX 460 (I realize I can change it, but would have been better to place on the left/non-conflicting drawer by default)
  • Theo from Rugged Bound (where I purchased it) provided lots of great info and was incredibly helpful throughout the process
This is part of a larger build-out of my 'new to me' '15 460 Lux.

20221210_185334.jpg

20221210_185359.jpg

20221210_185504.jpg

20221210_185528.jpg

67597360824__FC808C73-9A04-4D92-9655-5C6530F19606.JPEG

Do the middle seats still recline?

I didn't try it, but I'm guessing maybe only a half or whole inch at most. I've never reclined the back seats, nor do I intend to, so that wasn't even a consideration. What was important to me was having a somewhat level surface between the top of the drawer system and the 2nd row seats when folded (for sleeping). It's a bit of a flatter surface than compared to when the 3rd row seats where in it.

Yeah, I wouldn't ever expect "you" to ever need to recline the mid seats. (ha-ha-ha!)
But seriously, I was thinking more along the lines of someone that road trips with their kids who may want to recline a wee bit after hours on end stuck in that seat.
But then on the other end of the spectrum are those who even tear out the middle row to allow a complete sleep system.
I guess that's one of the features great about the GX, they're so customizable.

Beautiful install! I have the same drawer system sitting in my garage awaiting install. How did you negotiate the thick wire that runs parallel to the door? I'm trying to determine where the lip of the drawer system falls relative to that wire. Any insight would be much appreciated!

View attachment 3189592

View attachment 3189593
Sorry to be so late, but I just saw this. We moved from Nebraska to Tennessee in December, so I didn't log on. I saw you got your drawers installed. Nice!

The middle seats do recline, about as much as you'd want them to. There's a bit of space between the front of the drawer system and the middle row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom