Events/Trails Big Bend Ranch State Park Trip Report - Heaven on earth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spent the Presidents' Day Weekend on a 5 day trip in Big Bend Ranch State Park. I've been to the National Park on numerous occasions, but this was my first to the State Park. It will NOT be my last. IMO, the State Park is significantly better than the adjacent National Park.

For starters, ALL campsites (primitive and otherwise) are available for ONLINE reservations. The National Park limits online reservations to just the 2WD accessible campsites. That means you could make the LONG drive (8.5 hours in my case from Austin) only to find that your preferred primitive spot is already taken as they are available on a first come/first serve basis. In past years, we'd leave at 11pm on Thursday night in order to arrive by 8am the following morning at the Ranger Station and be the first in line to get our preferred site. To say that was a PITA would be an understatement. For the State Park, however, I reserved my spot 30 days prior and we were able to leave at a more "convenient" time and not feel rushed to arrive before everyone else.

The 2nd reason I feel the State Park is better is that it's WAAAAAAAY more remote. You start by driving 35 miles of desolate, but scenic, gravel to get to the Sauceda Ranger Station. From there, your campsite might be another 10-12 miles of desolate gravel away. For us, we stayed at the Fresno Vista site. That is the absolute BEST site in the entire park aside from Guale1. Both of those sites absolutely require high clearance 4WD and more than 1 spare. There is cactus, ocotillo and sharp rocks EVERYWHERE.

3rd reason I feel the State Park is better is that there is a far greater variety of off-road 4WD trails (even more miles of them than the National Park), way more mountain biking and hiking trails as well.

4th reason I feel the State Park is better is that every single campsite has an excellent fire ring (National Park does NOT allow fires) and an associated pavilion with park bench/table. The National Park has bear boxes which the State Park doesn't, but that's not a big deal.

Weather the entire time was incredible. Highs in the low 70's (zero humidity) and lows in the mid-40's with slight variable winds and no cloud cover overnight. To say the stars were amazing every night would be an understatement. Even with a campfire blazing, we could see the Milky Way spanning from horizon to horizon. There were so many stars, that constellations became hard to decipher. I've seen only a few places in my life that were similar (Central Australia, Canyonlands Utah and the central high plains around Hartsel, CO).

Anyway, here come the pics.

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

More pics :)

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

Ruins of an old Hacienda that was an operational cattle ranch up until 1946. This was about 12 miles down a rocky canyon and along a sandy creek bottom.

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

More views of the Fresno Vista campsite, the stunning canyon views and the incredible West Texas sunsets

IMG_4924.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

@ga12r1 this one is for YOU! We found a super secret "bar" that was WAAAY off-grid. A Ranger keyed us in to it's location....it's about 5 miles down a rocky, rutted trail. We broke out the sat phone and contacted the owner who was super cool and told us to head out and enjoy ourselves. I "donated" one of my Emergency Drinking Beers and a crisp $20 to the owner. We spent a few hours there hanging out, knocking back several Emergency Drinking Beers and a bottle of Bulleit bourbon around a roaring campfire. We grilled a few ribeyes with Tabasco butter and mashed potatoes.

BTW, if you're ever in the Atlanta area, you have GOT to get your hands on the Emergency Drinking Beer. Despite it being an "All Purpose Blend", it is actually an incredibly smooth and solid quality beer. Easily one of my favorites. Might have to make a special trip to Atlanta to get several more 6 packs :)

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

More Solitario Bar pics

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

Next time I head to Texas I can bring some emergency drinking beer and trade it for Beaver Nuggets . I am getting a Buccees in 2021 south of me about 2 hours

Yup, it's got electrical hookups and a wood-fired Cowboy hot tub! And, incredible sunsets.

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4985.JPG

Looked like a fun trip! I haven't been out there but will take your advice into consideration.

Best part is, since the parks are adjacent to one another, you could make a week of it by spending a few days exploring the State Park and then another few days in the National Park. The drive along the Rio Grande from the State Park entrance to Lajitas and then to the National Park is one of the most scenic highway drives in the US. Typically ranked in the top-10.

We have been 3 times in the last 2 years. Remember when I invited yall at HIH :)? Glad you finally made the road trip. Looks like a heck of a trip. Last time we stayed at Las Burras 2.

We have been 3 times in the last 2 years. Remember when I invited yall at HIH :)? Glad you finally made the road trip. Looks like a heck of a trip. Last time we stayed at Las Burras 2.

I did. That's what inspired me to change my annual Presidents' Day Weekend trip to BBNP to BBRSP. I am planning another trip out there this year. We should definitely coordinate. I'll bring the beer :)

Las Burras 2 looks like it would be pretty cool. Yedra2 and Guale2 look like they'd be incredible as well. Pila Montoya3 is real nice because it has a drop-toilet facility nearby that is actually really clean (cleaner than any filling station I've ever been in).

Let me know when, I am always down for a Big Bend trip. I was thinking heading out there the 7th of March but will probably hit Moab instead. I usually go the week before Thanksgiving because the kids are out of school.

This pic cracks me up.

IMG_4914.JPG

Let me know when, I am always down for a Big Bend trip. I was thinking heading out there the 7th of March but will probably hit Moab instead. I usually go the week before Thanksgiving because the kids are out of school.

Yeah, Feb-Mar and Oct-Nov seem like the best times to go. Can't imagine going out there anytime from May-Sept....would be HOT as heck. I have Moab on my list for this year, but looks like that won't be until April. Still trying to work out the logistics of that one.

By the way, for anyone who has ever been frustrated with tent pegs, I found the absolute BEST solution! They are "screw in" type tent pegs. Got them off Amazon. They come with a socket for your drill and glow in the dark tops. No more pounding in tent stakes with a hammer for me and bending them. I don't think they would work well on a sandy beach. But, even in the rocky terrain of Big Bend, they screwed in the ground easily and never budged.

1582314744672.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom