Big Bend in Late January or Early Feb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@MrBaconjr , so reservation is set for Tres Papalotes arriving 2/8 with a 2/10 departure. You mention your friends in terlingua for camp, etc. how many nights there? what are the fees to camp at your friend's place at TR? shall we reserve any other spot(s) after this?
Just picking this up- have reached out to friends and will keep you posted.

Just picking this up- have reached out to friends and will keep you posted.
@MrBaconjr , thanks for checking. If your friend's place doesn't work out, no worries. we can book a spot in TR or close by. Also, shall we meet up with you in Marfa on Monday or do you want to meet at Tres Papalotes camp?

@bobcatag2006, if you decide to leave Monday, you are welcome to convoy with us.

@PearlLX470 & @The Phoenician, you all are leaving wednesday. We will keep you posted on location along with @patride71

@MrBaconjr , thanks for checking. If your friend's place doesn't work out, no worries. we can book a spot in TR or close by. Also, shall we meet up with you in Marfa on Monday or do you want to meet at Tres Papalotes camp?

@bobcatag2006, if you decide to leave Monday, you are welcome to convoy with us.

@PearlLX470 & @The Phoenician, you all are leaving wednesday. We will keep you posted on location along with @patride71
Thank you @meatloaf. Looking forward to the trip!

@meatloaf - my friends are booked unfortunately. LMK if I can help scout other locations.

I'll meet you at Tres Papalotes. I'm now tentative on attending due to USPS. Have to get rear 3rd member rebuilt- I bought a used one from a guy in Arkansas and a rebuild kit from Valley Hybrids to go to LCS for rebuild. Kit was missing crush sleeve, Valley Hybrids sent one that is apparently lost in mail. I was in ATX last week to pick up the completed rebuild to install this coming weekend.

TLDNR- USPS hosed me.

I'll ride motor out Tuesday if 60 is still down.

@meatloaf - my friends are booked unfortunately. LMK if I can help scout other locations.

I'll meet you at Tres Papalotes. I'm now tentative on attending due to USPS. Have to get rear 3rd member rebuilt- I bought a used one from a guy in Arkansas and a rebuild kit from Valley Hybrids to go to LCS for rebuild. Kit was missing crush sleeve, Valley Hybrids sent one that is apparently lost in mail. I was in ATX last week to pick up the completed rebuild to install this coming weekend.

TLDNR- USPS hosed me.

I'll ride motor out Tuesday if 60 is still down.
@MrBaconjr , sorry to hear about your troubles... no worries on TR, we’ll get another campsite.

if you the get parts in, I’ll be happy to pick up the third from Edwin and take it to you.

@meatloaf - What are you thinking? Anything I can do to help?

@MrBaconjr , sorry to hear about your troubles... no worries on TR, we’ll get another campsite.

if you the get parts in, I’ll be happy to pick up the third from Edwin and take it to you.
Thank you very much! Chasing the USPS status tomorrow, ordering yet another (the 3rd for this project) tomorrow if no progress.

I know weather can change but at this point, 15 day forecast shows good weather for 2/8-2/12

1611719263032.jpg

Couple of questions for everyone going:

1. I've always done state park camping or places where you can cook by camp fire and have a cooler not a fridge. I've had a gas grill so will be bringing that but what are y'all bringing for food? Should I go for the MREs (Mountain house pouches) or a cooler and ice (got my Yeti)? Just seeing what range of options/ideas every does
2. I'm thinking I'll be able to convoy with everyone on the 8th, so where are we meeting to drive out there?
3. BIGGEST question though....What is the trail/road condition where we are? I want to do my inner/outer tie rods due to some vibration im feeling but the parts won't be here in time, im afraid. Would you more experienced travelers suggest I not even attempt this trip based on the terrain we will be on? I really want to do this trip with others since I've never been out to BB before but I also don't want to do something stupid that can leave me stranded/a strain on others if this is a replacement I should definitely do beforehand.

Couple of questions for everyone going:

1. I've always done state park camping or places where you can cook by camp fire and have a cooler not a fridge. I've had a gas grill so will be bringing that but what are y'all bringing for food? Should I go for the MREs (Mountain house pouches) or a cooler and ice (got my Yeti)? Just seeing what range of options/ideas every does

We are taking simple things, sandwiches, cereal, easy prep stuff for most meals. Probably take something to grille at least one night. Being Mexican, I don't eat MRE's ;). This will be the first time I take a fridge. In the past we've taken ice chests, both parks have stores where you can get ice at a premium. I am also bringing an ice chest.

2. I'm thinking I'll be able to convoy with everyone on the 8th, so where are we meeting to drive out there?

Great! Driving through San Marcos, we can meet you somewhere...

3. BIGGEST question though....What is the trail/road condition where we are? I want to do my inner/outer tie rods due to some vibration im feeling but the parts won't be here in time, im afraid. Would you more experienced travelers suggest I not even attempt this trip based on the terrain we will be on? I really want to do this trip with others since I've never been out to BB before but I also don't want to do something stupid that can leave me stranded/a strain on others if this is a replacement I should definitely do beforehand.

Roads are unmaintained and a little rough at times but we will not be going too fast on these. I also thought of doing my timing belt this week since truck just passed 200K but will wait until after the trip. I will let others with more experience chime in regarding your question but I would think you would be ok.

So here's what my plans look like if anyone wants to convoy meet up or tag along.

We're headed out Tuesday afternoon and camping in San Angelo for the night. Wednesday we're going to the Tres Papalotes campsite for two nights then on to the Javalin campsite for another two nights and then back to San Angelo before heading home.

We're taking our trailer with us. Let us know if you're nearby or would like to meet up.

Mike.

We are taking simple things, sandwiches, cereal, easy prep stuff for most meals. Probably take something to grille at least one night. Being Mexican, I don't eat MRE's ;). This will be the first time I take a fridge. In the past we've taken ice chests, both parks have stores where you can get ice at a premium. I am also bringing an ice chest.

Great! Driving through San Marcos, we can meet you somewhere...

Roads are unmaintained and a little rough at times but we will not be going too fast on these. I also thought of doing my timing belt this week since truck just passed 200K but will wait until after the trip. I will let others with more experience chime in regarding your question but I would think you would be ok.

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I'll plan on a cooler and sandwiches, snack things, etc. that keep in a cooler. Never really gone on a longer trip than a day or two so I was a bit concerned since I don't have a fridge. Simple and easy is great.

I can meet anywhere along 35 in SMTX. Just let me know the time y'all are leaving and when you expect to be coming through here. There are some McDonald's/drive through breakfast places to join up.

I drive a pretty rough road every morning and its vibrating/bumpy but not progressively worse or anything. Unless someone with more experience than me says TREs are a definite thing to do before this trip, I'll be coming along and taking it as easy as I can.

I drive a pretty rough road every morning and its vibrating/bumpy but not progressively worse or anything. Unless someone with more experience than me says TREs are a definite thing to do before this trip, I'll be coming along and taking it as easy as I can.
In my experience, worn tie rod ends create wandering steering but aren’t of high risk to leave you stranded.

In my experience, worn tie rod ends create wandering steering but aren’t of high risk to leave you stranded.
It's a long trip. I know my rig gets exhausting when it wanders.

So here's what my plans look like if anyone wants to convoy meet up or tag along.

We're headed out Tuesday afternoon and camping in San Angelo for the night. Wednesday we're going to the Tres Papalotes campsite for two nights then on to the Javalin campsite for another two nights and then back to San Angelo before heading home.

We're taking our trailer with us. Let us know if you're nearby or would like to meet up.

Mike.

Mike, do you know what your ETA is on Wednesday? @MrBaconjr suggestions for Pinto Canyon Road and Crawford Smith Ranch seem to be pretty cool excursions. Probably do Crawford Smith Tuesday and we can wait up for you on Wednesday for Pinto Canyon or maybe Terlingua Wednesday and Pinto Canyon Thursday

Mike, do you know what your ETA is on Wednesday? @MrBaconjr suggestions for Pinto Canyon Road and Crawford Smith Ranch seem to be pretty cool excursions. Probably do Crawford Smith Tuesday and we can wait up for you on Wednesday for Pinto Canyon or maybe Terlingua Wednesday and Pinto Canyon Thursday
I'll double check myself once I'm back on my laptop. But Tuesday I'll be in San Angelo and it's like a 7 hour drive to Tres Papalotes. So Wednesday is pretty much shot. But we're game for anything Thursday and on.

Last edited:
DIff won't be done until tomorrow, I'll pick up in ATX and head back to Marfa Friday. Probably will not get it done over weekend, so I am out for camping.

Am happy to lead crew down Pinto Canyon; I'll probably be on a motorcycle. Did that ride about 6 weeks ago, and roads were good. May see if a couple other motors want to come along if that's OK. Just LMK day- meet in Marfa, head south, it's about 2 1/2-3 hours to River Road.

DIff won't be done until tomorrow, I'll pick up in ATX and head back to Marfa Friday. Probably will not get it done over weekend, so I am out for camping.

Am happy to lead crew down Pinto Canyon; I'll probably be on a motorcycle. Did that ride about 6 weeks ago, and roads were good. May see if a couple other motors want to come along if that's OK. Just LMK day- meet in Marfa, head south, it's about 2 1/2-3 hours to River Road.

It would be cool if you could lead us on Thursday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom