BFG KO2 vs KO2 "DT" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

So I was planning on getting new tires and have been researching a long time on it. After settling up in Montana and seeing how bad some of the forest service roads are for hunting, camping etc... I decided on upgrading to some 285/75/16 Bfgoodrich KO2s. The thing is, and it can be difficult to catch, is that there is a new version of the KO2 called the "DT" for different tread and sometimes they don't put the DT and you can only distinguish between them by looking at the MSPN number. Anyway, it looks good because you get 50k warranty and better tread life. However, on some of the tire websites it says the "DT" version is not 3 peak mountain snow flake (3pmsf) rated. On Bfgoodrich's site it shows that it does have a 3pmsf rating, so I had to deal with their online chat. It took about 20 minutes of back and forth and pulling teeth but they said that the tire is NOT 3pmnsf rated and they were not sure why it was indicated that it is rated on their website.

So has anyone had any experience with these new DT tires? I'm not sure if they are phasing out the older version but they are getting harder to get. Most places only have the DT's in stock. Should I stay away from them or is it worth the better tread life? We have already been getting a lot of snow and ice and it's just getting started up here.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Yeah I saw tire rack that's why I contacted Bfgoodrich. They unfortunately don't have any authorized dealers in my area so I have to buy through the local tire shops. I had initially bought/ordered KO2's at discount tire and specified non DT KO2's but after getting home I saw on receipt that it was the KO2 DT. After arguing with the guy that they were a different tire I ended up canceling the order for them. So I have to find another place that carries them.

In my experience, the Tire Rack reps are pretty good. Some shops around me will install customer supplied tires, perhaps the same for you?

There is another tire place I am going to talk to tomorrow that should have the correct tires and the same price as tire rack. Part of the issue too is that tire rack won't ship them to any of the local places because they are not authorized but even if I had them sent to me it's a problem because I only have a PO box right now and they won't ship to it. I might be able to get around it but it doesn't matter because they are back ordered until January, 11 2019 on tire rack fml lol.

Bit off your original topic, but have you checked out the Good Year DuraTrac. I've had both the KO2 and DuraTrac in 285/75/16 on my 100. Both are great tires, but the DuraTrac is better in the snow. Has winter tire sips.

I've been really happy with them going over the winter passes in CO.

Bit off your original topic, but have you checked out the Good Year DuraTrac. I've had both the KO2 and DuraTrac in 285/75/16 on my 100. Both are great tires, but the DuraTrac is better in the snow. Has winter tire sips.

I've been really happy with them going over the winter passes in CO.
Yeah, I had considered them and really thought about getting them but they seem to have weaker sidewalls and are more prone to puncture. If they had the same sidewall strength as the KO2's I would have gotten them. The forest service roads here have some gnarly rocks on them. After calling around different tire shops they said it looks like they are discontinuing the old style KO2, which sucks. Might have to start from square one.

I just put some DTs on this week. Really it came down to whether or not I need the snowflake symbol.

I was finally was able to get a set of the non DT. I still have to wait a few days for them to get them to their local warehouse. If I still lived in the dryer and warmer areas I would have just gotten the DT's but up here they usually recommend dedicated snow tires and/or studs. I know this isn't a true snow tire but it will give me the all around capability I need year round. Ski slopes open next week!

Thanks for the input everyone

So I finally drove the DTs in a light snow in Chicago yesterday. Not as good as the original KO2s. Considering I am in Chicago I might have preferred the original KO2s if I knew what I was buying beforehand. On the other hand the original KO2's lasted me 65k but I ran them an extra 15k than I should have and destroyed a complete set of TRD brake pads/rotors f+r due to funny tire wear. I had a shimmy in the wheel that would happen when I would brake esp at higher speeds and wasn't sure why it was happening.

I don't know if its all in my mind but the DTs feel a bit smoother than the original KO2s on the highway at higher speeds. I feel like I am going a bit faster because of how impeccably smooth the ride is. But that could just because tires are so new.

I hope they don't completely discontinue the original version. I can see where the DT would be ideal in more mild climates where people offroad a lot and don't need the snow rating. But being in the snowy areas it seems like a bad compromise to give up the snow rating for extra tread life. I'd like to see how the DT's actually do long term as well.

So I finally drove the DTs in a light snow in Chicago yesterday. Not as good as the original KO2s. Considering I am in Chicago I might have preferred the original KO2s if I knew what I was buying beforehand. On the other hand the original KO2's lasted me 65k but I ran them an extra 15k than I should have and destroyed a complete set of TRD brake pads/rotors f+r due to funny tire wear. I had a shimmy in the wheel that would happen when I would brake esp at higher speeds and wasn't sure why it was happening.

I don't know if its all in my mind but the DTs feel a bit smoother than the original KO2s on the highway at higher speeds. I feel like I am going a bit faster because of how impeccably smooth the ride is. But that could just because tires are so new.

Nice to see another local on Mud.

I remember seeing somewhere the DTs were designed for high-torque/heavy diesel trucks. Wish I could remember where now.

I remember seeing somewhere the DTs were designed for high-torque/heavy diesel trucks. Wish I could remember where now.
[/QUOTE
dt tires are for heavier trucks. bc these tires have a harder compound than regular ones, they last longer (for those heavier trucks). Hence no snowflake symbol on DTs

This was on tirerack's page:

Note: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires labeled "DT" utilize a different tread compound designed to improve wear in high-torque applications and improved chip and tear resistance in gravel. Tires featuring this compound carry a 50,000-Mile Treadwear Warranty and are NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol. They can be identified by the "DT" branding on the sidewall immediately following the service description, and are labeled on the Specs page and in search results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom