best year for the 100 series?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Why in the world for a few bucks would you not want this? Exactly.

If ya already have a 98-99...GREAT! Live with it and enjoy it. If your buddy asks which year to get...you owe it to him or her to provide all the facts.
Last time, what you believe (prefer) and what I believe (prefer) aren't the same thing. Doesn't make you right and me wrong or vice-versa. You should have learned this kind of thing around 1st or 2nd grade...

Also, if I haven't been clear enough, I have both a 98 (rear locked) and a 2000 (TRAC equipped) 100 series. Clean out your ears here, but to me, I'd rather wheel the 98 - that's me, not you...

So, to your point, my buddy (in his / her quest to find a comfortable, able and reliable wheeling wagon) can figure it all out here without me having to do him / her a disservice. :D

There comes a point where passion oversteps the bounds of objectivity, reason and rational thought. Your passion in the many arguments I've followed here is commendable, just make sure your blinders aren't having a negative impact on your mental health. :cheers:

cruiser4life said:
Last time, what you believe (prefer) and what I believe (prefer) aren't the same thing. Doesn't make you right and me wrong or vice-versa. You should have learned this kind of thing around 1st or 2nd grade...

Also, if I haven't been clear enough, I have both a 98 (rear locked) and a 2000 (TRAC equipped) 100 series. Clean out your ears here, but to me, I'd rather wheel the 98 - that's me, not you...

So, to your point, my buddy (in his / her quest to find a comfortable, able and reliable wheeling wagon) can figure it all out here without me having to do him / her a disservice. :D

There comes a point where passion oversteps the bounds of objectivity, reason and rational thought. Your passion in the many arguments I've followed here is commendable, just make sure your blinders aren't having a negative impact on your mental health. :cheers:

It's not about preference. :) To each their own.

I've never bragged about mental health. :D I do know though I owe it to my friends to inform them of TRAC's merits and why it can help them over plain-old lockers. The bottom line...having BOTH is best. No way to dispute that unless one cannot afford both. Pretty simple, huh? :beer:

John I agree with you that you CAN add a locker (or two) to a TRAC equipped vehicle, but how many people have really done that with the 100 series? You have gone a lot further down that path than most, who will just add some sliders and slightly larger, more aggressive tires. For these people the rear locker might be a better option that just TRAC.

The newer systems are infinitely better than the traction control of a few years ago, but like Nolen I still prefer full manual control. If the vehicle is slipping or crabbing I usually try to turn off the locker and/or modulate the brake and throttle.

Back to the original question, it would seem that the 2003+ would be the "best" since they have the 5 speed tranny, but the prices are the newer ones are considerably more than the 98-99. Plus Slee does not list a turbo application for the 2003+. :(

DirtyHarry said:
John I agree with you that you CAN add a locker (or two) to a TRAC equipped vehicle, but how many people have really done that with the 100 series? You have gone a lot further down that path than most, who will just add some sliders and slightly larger, more aggressive tires. For these people the rear locker might be a better option that just TRAC.

The newer systems are infinitely better than the traction control of a few years ago, but like Nolen I still prefer full manual control. If the vehicle is slipping or crabbing I usually try to turn off the locker and/or modulate the brake and throttle.

Back to the original question, it would seem that the 2003+ would be the "best" since they have the 5 speed tranny, but the prices are the newer ones are considerably more than the 98-99. Plus Slee does not list a turbo application for the 2003+. :(

To answer question #1...For the lighter wheelers....I'd take TRAC over a rear locker-only and 24/7. Too many situations off-road where TRAC has the advantage...like Rod's situation above where he was stuck. I've been with so many 80's that would lock the rear and struggle and my 100 would climb. I am glad now though I have my locks. It's at another level though not everyone will want to go there.
Add in snow....slick....ice....I played last winter....lockers wouldn't move me. I'd slide sideways and not climb. TRAC moved me controlled and even climbed an icy slope until me Slee rear bumper scraped. I cou;dn't do the same with one or both lockers on. I'd just slide. FOR ANY WHEELING....I could give up my lockers but not my TRAC.

Question #2...the TRAC is dialed in extremely well in the 100. That's why it works. Newer systems aren't necessarily better...it just depends on the software they flash into the CPU based on what they want the rig to do. The Sequoia TRAC still sucks...it's programed more for safety. The 100 TRAC is still excellent in 2006. The FJ TRAC was programmed even a bit tighter.

My favorite year? A brand new 2006 would suit me just fine! :)

I have had 4 vehicles with TRAC. The LC and LX act the same. The 03 4Runner and the 04 Sienna AWD were different, though effective for their purposes. The Sienna was the most "invasive" of the TRAC/VSC offerings. The 4Runner much less invasive; but the 100 has the best by far. It is very effective in rain, mud, snow, and gravel with almost no invasiveness to it. I sure missed it when I sold the LC and was a primary reason I started looking another 100.

I was aware there was an "off roading" allowance for the TRAC/VSC programming in the 100, but was not aware that it only worked with a soft, steady accelerator.

Shotts: do you mean to say that a heavy foot on the accelerator in the 100 will prevent TRAC from activating? Is VSC still at work with heavy acceleration?

Darn, I hate when you guys delete your posts before I can read them...I am sure that most would provide hours of enjoyment and laughter ;)

But.. This whole TRAC vs NO TRAC thing is boring me to no end ! The ONLY way to solve this is to have a series of side-by-side tests with a TRAC -equipped and non equipped 100 ( stock rigs ) attempt the same obstacles and see what is more effective.... The only problem I see is that the DRIVERS ability and experience could heavily affect the outcome of such a test, and add even more meaningless posts to an already hopeless argument .

Never frickin mind....

I guess I will have to continue to "think" my rig is better than pre-2000 models :D

BTW... I would STILL rather have a 5 speed trans !!

How about the best year to have.........is the one you've got!:D

John

SINCITY100 said:
But.. This whole TRAC vs NO TRAC thing is boring me to no end !

I'm sure that we could change the subject to L shocks if you would prefer! :flipoff2:

I am considering getting a 100 series and think that I will hold out for a 2003+ with the 5 speed. You have a lower first gear for the trail, plus a slightly taller overdrive so you could run low gears (not sure why Toyota used higher diff gears- mileage perhaps?) and still cruise down the freeway at a reasonable RPM.

Personally I would think that a Cruiser would be better than a Lexus too, I would rather have normal coils than the AHC just to keep it simple. Not sure on the price differences between the two for used though. On the 80s it seems like you can find a LX450 with less miles for less money than an FZJ80.

Last edited:
99 - By far is the best year.

uzj100

For most owners, I believe the best ones are 2000-2003. My personal preference would be 2001 or 2003 without NAV (hard to find in 03). If money was not an object, then 2006. Consumer Reports did not recommend the non-TRAC models of 98-99, but did recommend the years before and after.

For the owners who want to do some off roading, the 98-99 will give a sense of more control with less computer controlled, automated functions. While driving a TRAC 100 gives more automated control on gravel, wet, or icy roads, sometimes that hinder's the "feel" of driving the vehicle. I have been frustrated with the antics of some ABS vehicles in such conditions (LC is least invasive that I have driven). I have driven pickups (2 wd and 4wd) in such conditions just fine. The 98/99 LC 100 is great in comparison. And when you get to the highway, the 100 gives a great ride.

Any year 100 is better than no 100.

uzj100 said:
99 - By far is the best year.

uzj100

cruiser99 said:
Hands down -- 99 the best year!

You couldn't give me anyother year, especially 2000

And for the record - we like our exploding diffs, thank you very much :D

Yes. I have exploded a 99 front diff. Toyota paid for the replacement under the powertrain warranty.

I have my money set a side for a arb front locker.

uzj100

LXPearl said:
I was aware there was an "off roading" allowance for the TRAC/VSC programming in the 100, but was not aware that it only worked with a soft, steady accelerator.

Shotts: do you mean to say that a heavy foot on the accelerator in the 100 will prevent TRAC from activating? Is VSC still at work with heavy acceleration?

It's all about the programming of the CPU. In many SUV's, the TRAC is biased for safety. You get into an Escalade or a Sequioa (etc) and when you start spinning, even if you hit the gas they'll cut the gas and sink you in the mud and/or sand.

In a 100...programmed for off-road capability...if you hit the gas, TRAC will not operate and the throttle won't get cut so you can maintain progress in those situations. I've been in deep mud, 4L, and near full throttle slinging mud everywhere....which is the control we want! IF...I go through the same mud very slowly, TRAC will activate though being mud you might get stuck. If that's the case....you step on it. IT's great to have the control we do in the 100, and Runner, GX, LX, and FJ. We DON'T need no friggin' TRAC OFF switch!

I took my fearless '99 up to Mount Mitchell last weekend -- the hard way: up the 1920s "motor road" from Montreat, which has been pretty-much hikers only since the Blue Ridge Parkway opened in 1939.

No problems, and no worries around front diffs. I like my 99 because it's not so new that I worry about a few more scratch 'n sniffs. A 2000 or newer would be nice, but I might be a little less likely to take it into more interesting places. You know?

LT
:cool:

ELLTEE said:
I took my fearless '99 up to Mount Mitchell last weekend -- the hard way: up the 1920s "motor road" from Montreat, which has been pretty-much hikers only since the Blue Ridge Parkway opened in 1939.

No problems, and no worries around front diffs. I like my 99 because it's not so new that I worry about a few more scratch 'n sniffs. A 2000 or newer would be nice, but I might be a little less likely to take it into more interesting places. You know?

LT
:cool:

Well....there have been some idiots who take their new 100 out and hweel them from the get-go. I won't name names. Dummies. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom