best year for the 100 series?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am begining to think that the 98-99 100's are built better than the later ones. I've heard of many more problems from 00 or newer...

i just have had my frist real issue in my 98 - the starter - at 125k. I also just replaced the original battery 2 weeks ago - it was still going strong, but i thought it was a good idea....weird

It also seems as though the earlier 100's were more prone to come with lockers...

wadda think?

One reason the rear locker was more prone on the earlier trucks - it was an actual factory option. After the advent of traction control in 2000, the rear locker was no longer offered to the U.S. market.

dclee said:
One reason the rear locker was more prone on the earlier trucks - it was an actual factory option. After the advent of traction control in 2000, the rear locker was no longer offered to the U.S. market.
so based on that is the traction contol better than the locker option??

I'm partial to my '99 ;)

I think you'll hear varying replies. Traction control is probably safer in everyday driving. But, if you really need lockers for offroading, it's very easy to add ARBs front and rear, and then you have the best of both worlds. IMHO, I'd take the traction control and then decide if I needed lockers later. Depending on the type of wheeling you do, you might find that traction control is really a better fit for you.

But if you're doing stuff like the Rubicon, then lockers are a must, either way. Better yet, just get a locked 80, it's a more capable truck, cheaper to repair, easier to fix on the trail, and body panel damage won't be as painful... :flipoff2:

There are some desirable options on later trucks. If it were me (which it isn't!) I would want the 5 speed tranny, the nav system and the 4 pinion front. I would also want one built at Araco. So 2003-2005 would be the mac daddy. The later trucks can also use regular gas I believe. I would wait on a 2006 since the production was moved away from Arakawa I believe.

If you're really going to off-road there are other better trucks to consider as dclee points out.

For technical trails like ones with some lateral slope and loose talus plus a steep dropoff, it's hard to beat something narrow w/ a short wheelbase, like a LC70 2-door. The long wheelbase LC's are more suitable for national forest roads and that short.

Jim_Chow said:
For technical trails like ones with some lateral slope and loose talus plus a steep dropoff, it's hard to beat something narrow w/ a short wheelbase, like a LC70 2-door. The long wheelbase LC's are more suitable for national forest roads and that short.
that doenst really answer the question.......which year 100 series

reliablity?
equiptment?
etc...

Noah said:
that doenst really answer the question.......which year 100 series

reliablity?
equiptment?
etc...

Get something assembled by Araco. The later toyotas (somewhere in 05-06) seem to have more initial QC problems like moonroof squeaking/rattling, rattles here and there, maybe a power mirror didn't work, etc. The new 4runners have similar problems plus many others, which was one reason I bought a used 100 over the new 4runner.

Other than that, since many of us bought used vehicles, abuse by PO can be a factor that appears years later. Still, problems are few and far between other than the cracked manifolds and starter contacts. Could be worse. At least the head gaskets/cooling system on the V8 seem to be solid.

Last edited:
Cruiserdrew said:
There are some desirable options on later trucks. If it were me (which it isn't!) I would want the 5 speed tranny, the nav system and the 4 pinion front. I would also want one built at Araco. So 2003-2005 would be the mac daddy. The later trucks can also use regular gas I believe. I would wait on a 2006 since the production was moved away from Arakawa I believe.

If you're really going to off-road there are other better trucks to consider as dclee points out.

Cruiserdrew is correct on all of these assessments. However, on the gas, while it does run fine with no hiccups on regular, I have found that the engine is less efficient (less power, though not noticeable by the seat-of-the-pants gauge) and causes you to lose up to two mpg, which on a vehicle with already very low fuel economy, is significant. The percentage savings in running premium and getting increased fuel economy outweighs the increased cost of premium fuel, resulting in a net savings in money, and is probably better for the engine anyway. Of course, what this also says is that the engine can take crappy fuel (to a point) and "run what's available" if you are not anywhere near your nearest U.S. suburban fuel stop of choice...

Hmm, after reading Jim's comments above, and other threads on this board, I'm really not feeling anymore like I missed the boat by not waiting for the `06 with VVT-i... :grinpimp: (...happy about the all those Araco stickers on the insides of my body panels...)

Jim_Chow said:
Get something assembled by Araco. The later toyotas (somewhere in 05-06) seem to have more initial QC problems like moonroof squeaking/rattling, rattles here and there, maybe a power mirror didn't work, etc. The new 4runners have similar problems plus many others, which was one reason I bought a used 100 over the new 4runner.

Other than that, since many of us bought used vehicles, abuse by PO can be a factor that appears years later. Still, problems are few and far between other than the cracked manifolds and starter contacts. Could be worse. At least the head gaskets/cooling system on the V8 seem to be solid.

cracked Manafold eh??? My next door neighbor has a "tick tick tick", which sounds like an exhaust leak - it goes away when it warms up. My straight off guess was the manifold gaskets, but maybe it is a cracked manafold. Where should i look??

thanks

2004! Late enough to have the nav, traction, 5-speed and regular gas but old enough not to have the quality issues, AHC standard, and premium fuel engine

It is possible to retrofit a Toyota NAV system (not necessarily LC NAV) in there. Cool to be OEM but IMO, you can get a better aftermarket set-up for less scrilla.

hoser said:
It is possible to retrofit a Toyota NAV system (not necessarily LC NAV) in there. Cool to be OEM but IMO, you can get a better aftermarket set-up for less scrilla.
so it is not prewired....no plug and play possilbe - like a fj80 center diff lock button??

It may be pre-wired (not sure when Toyota or Lexus started offering these in the 100 Series), but I agree with Hoser, just go aftermarket. Probably cheaper and better in the long run, just may not look as neat and tidy.

AFAIK, not plug and play. Navi option was available in '01.

After seeing a '99 destroy a front diff at a moderate obstacle 2 weeks ago I'd never take one on the dirt until it had an ARB or a 2000+ 4-pin swap-out. Look at the obstacle. A 2000 with TRAC would have clawed right up.

90015873-M.jpg

90016008-M.jpg

Is the obstacle on the other side of the vehicle???? I don't see it...

That diff had to be on the way out before that little ledge. No way I would've been concerned by that in my '99. Either that or I'm just not seeing what I need to be seeing in the pic.

tabraha said:
Is the obstacle on the other side of the vehicle???? I don't see it...

That diff had to be on the way out before that little ledge. No way I would've been concerned by that in my '99. Either that or I'm just not seeing what I need to be seeing in the pic.

Yeah, where's the obstacle! :D

That pic looks no worse than most of the cracked pavement around here... :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom