Best way to plug a hole in a tool or storage box so it's water/weather proof and looks and works out OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
It's happened a couple of times now, so I gotta ask.

First time was a plastic (ABS?) large storage box. It had a couple of big holes for electric outlets. I plugged them with a piece of plastic sheet, some sealant and a few small bolts at the corners. Basically what I had on hand. It's probably weatherproof now. But not very happy with the results honestly. It looks bad, the patch and bolts/nuts stick out and catch on things. Works, but not great. No pride of accomplishment on that one, sorry to say.

Now, I just got a carry metal tool box. It also as a largish (3/8 x 1.5") slot in the top as well as a few holes. I want to fix that so I can leave it outside if need be. The small holes I can probably fix reasonably well with a rubber washer and small bolts, or a plastic plug. The slot is harder. Of course, I could weld it shut with a patch and repaint it all, but can't do that now. So have to improvise something else. But I'd rather not have it be another half-@ssed job like the earlier one.

Thoughts on the better way to do something like that? So it looks OK and does not create issues catching on stuff. A thin metal patch with some super duper glue in the back? Epoxy with a backing of sorts? Plastic or metal insert? (and yes, I know, everything is better with duct tape but I'm gonna go for a bit more of a permanent solution this time...)

Any suggestions? TIA

like that
20210316_175444_Burst01.jpg

I was going to say to make the rectangle into a round hole then use a rubber grommet/plug, but you probably don't want to cut out that much of your toolbox lid.

Mcmaster has various sizes of these. They are plastic, not rubber, but maybe they will seal OK with a good amount of silicone caulk. Some cutting/enlarging may be needed, though.

1616095495722.png

another idea would be to get an adhesive "plate" and stick it on. IDK, but maybe @ToyotaMatt has something. His metal VIN plates may be too expensive for this application, but maybe something like this

1616095906393.png

aah, some good ideas there. In my antique set ways, I did not think about making this an esthetic enhancement rather than a mere less-sucky-if-at-all-possible approach. And, of course, making fun of Snap-on addicts, say, is always a plus... :)
Dang, I also did not really think about enlarging the hole to make it easier to patch, rather than just patching what's already there. That's creative thinking, all right.
Glad I asked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom