Best Tires for GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ill try to get some photos, I had a local shop do all of the work for me (Apex Overland in NC), so I haven't even looked at the spare yet.

**Update** attached are some photos.View attachment 2096930

How difficult was it to squeeze the spare in? Did you have to deflate the tire at all to get it to fit in the spare location?

Based on this, I should be able to get a 275/70-R17 KO2 to fit in the spare location. The tire size calculator is telling me that it is 0.1" larger in diameter. Anybody else have any luck fitting that size spare?

I haven't messed with the spare tire at all, as I had Apex Overland do it, but they said it wasn't an issue.

The big question is, can you get the spare back out? My spare should be a touch smaller than your's (265/70 r17) and I can't get it to fit.

What part of the vehicle interferes with the fitment of the spare? I imagine some components have looser manufacturing and assembly tolerances than others. That may explain why some of you can fit a spare and others can't.

What part of the vehicle interferes with the fitment of the spare? I imagine some components have looser manufacturing and assembly tolerances than others. That may explain why some of you can fit a spare and others can't.
It hits both the inside edge of the hitch receiver and the sway bar. But not a big deal as I have ordered a spare tire carrier and I am planning to put an auxiliary fuel tank in the spare location.

I have Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 255/70 R18 on 2010 GX460, no lift. Had minimal rub, easily fixed in 15 minutes with heat gun. I have been happy with the tires. Only photo of the tires on my phone currently.

79D80636-7B98-46CF-98F7-37A29958135D.jpeg

Love the custom dirt job! Looks like you're actually out on trails and not at the mall!
Good on ya!

I installed 255 70R18 Goodyear Duratracs this weekend on newly acquired 2013 GX. I've had good experience with this tire on snow and it is the right combination of attributes for my driving in the PNW. (Have been driving Toyo AT2 Extremes 295 75R16 on a 100 Series for past couple years).

From the shop, the space did not fit under the truck. I'll carry a compressor, so I might wrestle with it a bit more.

I'm also noodling with the idea of a 3rd row delete and create some low, hide away storage with the spare inside (perhaps fresh water storage) and then a flat platform above. Has anyone tried anything like this?

1571634287519.png

Here are some pictures of the stock spare tire underneath my vehicle. The stock size is already contacting the tow hitch frame, so I'm not too hopeful that I can fit a 275/70-R17 under there. I may try to adjust the tow hitch to see if there is any way I can slide it backwards a bit. I wonder if I can slide the spare tire forward as well?

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

I had ordered the KO2's but then cancelled when I started reading that the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's are much better on ice due to a softer rubber. Getting them put on next week, went with 265/65/18's. From what I read, the KO2's are too hard and slip really easily on ice. The other thing that changed my mind is that it sounds like the A/T3W's are a bit quieter on pavement. Will primarily be using this vehicle for snowboard trips (Mammoth, Utah, etc), so wanted something that could work well on ice/snow and be fine for general all around use where I live (SoCal) -- don't want to have to use winter tires. Basically I was looking for the best all terrain that could work really well on snow and ice.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to fit 265/65 18 in the spare location? I am reading mixed results on different threads.

From what I've read in several posts, the O.D. of a 265/65R18 (or whatever size) may depend upon the manufacturer.
I'd suggest finding a tire you're interested in, look up the actual O.D. of the tire and then I believe you should be able to crawl under the rear your vehicle and you may be able to measure the available space between the tire and the rear bumper bracket. Then just add that to the diameter of your current spare and that should give you a rough idea of what you can fit under there.
Another option is that you can just take the spare off and leave it in your garage, drive to the tire shop of choice and ask them if you can try an unmounted (not on a rim) tire of the type and size you want, up in the spare tire space. Wear something you don't mind getting dirty, get the tire, get on your back, and just bench press it up into the spare tire space. If it fits unmounted, it will probably fit mounted.

From what I've read in several posts, the O.D. of a 265/65R18 (or whatever size) may depend upon the manufacturer.
I'd suggest finding a tire you're interested in, look up the actual O.D. of the tire and then I believe you should be able to crawl under the rear your vehicle and you may be able to measure the available space between the tire and the rear bumper bracket. Then just add that to the diameter of your current spare and that should give you a rough idea of what you can fit under there.
Another option is that you can just take the spare off and leave it in your garage, drive to the tire shop of choice and ask them if you can try an unmounted (not on a rim) tire of the type and size you want, up in the spare tire space. Wear something you don't mind getting dirty, get the tire, get on your back, and just bench press it up into the spare tire space. If it fits unmounted, it will probably fit mounted.
Thanks! These sound like logical solutions to resolving my concern.

Yep. 👍
And you won't have to worry about bad info (including from myself sometimes...) from any of our fine forum members!

I had ordered the KO2's but then cancelled when I started reading that the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's are much better on ice due to a softer rubber. Getting them put on next week, went with 265/65/18's. From what I read, the KO2's are too hard and slip really easily on ice. The other thing that changed my mind is that it sounds like the A/T3W's are a bit quieter on pavement. Will primarily be using this vehicle for snowboard trips (Mammoth, Utah, etc), so wanted something that could work well on ice/snow and be fine for general all around use where I live (SoCal) -- don't want to have to use winter tires. Basically I was looking for the best all terrain that could work really well on snow and ice.
I have told many people that I like the Falken better in every way except one than the KO2. I have run both of these on my F150. The Falken better in rain, snow, dry and also they wear great, way better than KO2. The only win I give the KO2 is I feel they look better. Also Falken are priced much better so go with Falken.

I'm in the process of trading my '12 T4R SR5 for an '11 GX460. What are the best (and largest) tires I can run on the stock setup? I have a 60 for actual off road adventures, this will be my dd. I prefer to have AT2's, but am open to better options. Thanks.

MJ

I went with 17's

LT 265-70x17's

No did not fit in spare carrier underneath

cO0T8bC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom