best spring setup for heavy loaded gen1 sequoia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking for advice for a 2-3 inch spring set up. planning on beefy bumpers and sliders, plus I always have a few hundred pounds of tools, and with the possibility of a ton of tile. I would like to avoid a harsh ride but also wish to be stable...is it even possible?
any advice?

looking for advice for a 2-3 inch spring set up. planning on beefy bumpers and sliders, plus I always have a few hundred pounds of tools, and with the possibility of a ton of tile. I would like to avoid a harsh ride but also wish to be stable...is it even possible?
any advice?

OME 2862 Springs are definitely the route to take! Super smooth ride and no more boat sway!

My Setup:
Front: Bilsteins 24-261425 (Top Notch)
Rear: Bilsteins 33-187174
OME 2862 Rear Springs
1.5" Synergy Performance Wheel Spacers
285/70/17 - Federal Couragia MT Mud Terrain Tire

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

thanks. I must admit hoping to avoid spacers. but you truck looks great

thanks. I must admit hoping to avoid spacers. but you truck looks great

Thanks. Totally understand on the spacers, I went back and forth and had to do it if I wanted 285’s with no rubbing on full lock. It was strictly either SpiderTraxx or Synergy. Both same price, but Synergy was cheaper on Amazon than buying direct, so it won out.

You mentioned the occasional heavy load, the Bilstien/OME combo is the way to go. You still have control under a load and eats bumps all day long.

my thoughts are towards 255/85R16. to minimize weight and drag from "larger" tires.

Thanks. Totally understand on the spacers, I went back and forth and had to do it if I wanted 285’s with no rubbing on full lock. It was strictly either SpiderTraxx or Synergy. Both same price, but Synergy was cheaper on Amazon than buying direct, so it won out.

You mentioned the occasional heavy load, the Bilstien/OME combo is the way to go. You still have control under a load and eats bumps all day long.
Curious. I noticed you have the exact same suspension setup I have (brands, part numbers, etc.). Do you find your shocks to have little / no rebound setting in them? Bump is good, pleasant, and controlled, while rebound is, virtually, non-existent! I can go over a particular bump in a highway near me, and the rear shocks extend so quickly / uncontrolled the rear tires leave the ground! That's true in neither of my other lifted trucks (200 Land Cruiser or 2004 GX470). The tires coming off the ground also leads me to believe the rear shocks aren't long enough.

I like the look and stance, but I'm not at all pleased with the driving characteristics. Anyone want to buy a used suspension at a discount? :grinpimp:

Sequoia 1.JPG

Curious. I noticed you have the exact same suspension setup I have (brands, part numbers, etc.). Do you find your shocks to have little / no rebound setting in them? Bump is good, pleasant, and controlled, while rebound is, virtually, non-existent! I can go over a particular bump in a highway near me, and the rear shocks extend so quickly / uncontrolled the rear tires leave the ground! That's true in neither of my other lifted trucks (200 Land Cruiser or 2004 GX470). The tires coming off the ground also leads me to believe the rear shocks aren't long enough.

I like the look and stance, but I'm not at all pleased with the driving characteristics. Anyone want to buy a used suspension at a discount? :grinpimp:

View attachment 1642934

I personally love the ride but never experienced (or haven't paid attention) the rear tires in this way. I can see your theory though.. I will pay attention more closely and check back if I run into it.

OME 2862 Springs are definitely the route to take! Super smooth ride and no more boat sway!

My Setup:
Front: Bilsteins 24-261425 (Top Notch)
Rear: Bilsteins 33-187174
OME 2862 Rear Springs
1.5" Synergy Performance Wheel Spacers
285/70/17 - Federal Couragia MT Mud Terrain Tire

View attachment 1639568

View attachment 1639569

View attachment 1639570
I'm about to pull the trigger on this set up, I wonder if it's the same for an 04 limited? And then have mixed feelings on the ome shocks vs bilsteins? I have had ome set up on a cruiser and the ride was great! Didnt like the ass end sitting higher because of the heavy duty rear springs but? I really like the stance of your rig! So no rubbing? Cutting? Nasty setbacks on installation? Rear springs were a fit?

You actually might be correct. If you go onto expo portal or sequoia-forums and find Sal R's truck build he found out that the rear shock was too short and instead decided to go with a Dobinson. I believe he has since changed it because he carries a lot of weight in the back but the FJ rear shock is too short for it.

Correct, the 5100's sold for the rear are actually for an FJ and they are too short for a Sequoia, even one at stock height.

I am very please with the Rancho rs9000. I have ahc so the adjustment is nice to have. They have a large variety of lengths on their website to choose from. I got them very cheap with a coupon and 20% off from advanced. Dobinsons I'm sure are great as well.

Depends on how much you’re lifting, tire size, etc. I have factory UCA’s on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom