Best Poly Bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok - started to post this in the regular section thinking not many here still run springs.

Time to replace a few and wondering if anyone has any input on the Energy Suspension ($21.50 for 12), the new CCOT bushings, or anything else. I typically run the SOR graphite/poly variety - they're ok, but I usually have to swap out a handful each season.

So - only need 12 or so, since I'm linked in the rear. Front is SOA, SR, long travel shocks, on well worn in 4" Alcans - it's pretty flexy for what it is....more so since I linked the rear. Price isn't the issue as much as finding out if they're all the same, or if one or the other is better (granted I've got a lengthy maintenance list and limited budget this year).

Amazon product ASIN B000CNB3FQ $21.50 and look like you get what you pay for?

Greasable Polyurethane Bushings - stupid expensive @ $54.71 for 12?

Page 289 Land Cruiser Polyurethane Bushings $2.00 each ($24) but recollect they have $$$ shipping costs.

Thanks. Bill.

I have used CCOT bushings. They didn't last. Maybe the newer ones are better? I think I would trust the Energy Suspension ones more.
How about rubber? Although it might be more difficult to find rubber ones in metric sizes.

I've had good luck with the energy suspension bushings. Has been about 5 years of hard use and I'm due for a replacement.

For the most part, the formula for poly bushings is the same across the industry - so "better" and "worse" are usually attributed to design criteria more then product quality. With that said, I'm not a fan of poly bushings where the joint needs to move more then one direction (putting aside the Ford design for a moment). A-arm bushings only move one way, any kind of long arm moves at least 2 if not 3 (vertical, rotational, compression). The problem is traditional poly does not allow for twist - so the twist comes a bit from the play in the bushing but mostly in the metal of the arm.

There are different kinds of poly, though, but the typical usage ones have a hardness score that really is just a long-term-metal-fatigue problem. On the other hand, there are poly formulations that are as soft as rubber - with the same problems of rubber.

If price is no object, the johnny joint design is your friend. With that said, you'll have no vibration dampening with the solid joints - so the question becomes almost as much as what you're building vs. what product to use.

For your traditional, leaf springs - the spring does the twisting, so a harder durameter score would last the longest. As for grease? don't pressure wash it out of the bolt and save the bucks.

Another vote for Energy Suspension bushings. Good quality and very dependable.

Another vote here for Energy suspension bushing ..

A friend of mine imported a 2003 HZJ77 from Japan. It came with an aftermarket suspension with "Dune" branded shackles and bushes. These are polyurethane bushings as well but are not designed to be lubricated/greased. Which made me doubt about it's durability. 12 years on with no greasing and the bushes are still doing great with no signs of squeaks and heavy deterioration.

This made me buy a set for my BJ42 as well. It costs a lot more than the likes of OME but my friend's set outlasted my OME bushes by 5 years. I know these are different vehicles but the HZJ77's higher GVW was the deciding factor for me.

Photo for reference.

Another vote here for Energy suspension bushing ..

Ordered the Energy bushings off of Amazon last week - sitting on the workbench, installing Saturday.

@Tapage - do you still have those 40" MTRs??? Been several years - fairly certain we shipped them down to you with rims.

@SuperBuickGuy - this is a very old SOA SR setup with Alcan's and extended shock towers (not a new build). While less than optimal, it's got a ton of articulationfor what it is and has worked damn well for over a dozen years - with so much flex, the bushes just simply have a really hard life. The rear is linked on 16" ORI's - there's just too many other priorities to just keep it running, much less other upgrades on my list, to justify going 3-link up front.....just yet.

@Rankle40 - those Dune bushings look fairly hard, will definitely look into them next time, but suspect they only come in the later larger spring eye variation (still I'll check later tonight).

Thanks. Bill.

@Tapage - do you still have those 40" MTRs??? Been several years - fairly certain we shipped them down to you with rims.

yes !

they are actually still in Tencha .. ( awaiting for replacement ) I've been " out " of the hardcore off road since my boy was born ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom