Best hard shell roof tent?

Hi guys

I got a 2019 LC200. It’s myself, wife and two kids ages 2+5, just looking for a roof tent. I was thinking for now a James Baroud XXL would be the best out there? And be ok for us?

Are they the best or look at other options?

Does anyone also use their tents in freezing temps and manage ok with the winter liner kits?

Anyone leave them on ‘permanently’? Is that ok with extreme heat summer and extreme lows in winter like we get in New England, or should they be removed?

If they need to be removed then is this a multiple person job? I don’t have much help, just me and the wife

Also, if this can install to go on the roof rails, is there a point then in me buying a roof rack? As it would cover it completely

Lastly, anyone install this on their own? Is there much to it?

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions

arnott1t

SILVER Star

I have a James Baroud and really don't like it and wouldn't buy it again...
1. Most fabric is held by velcro on the bottoms of doors and windows. I've worken up with an arm or head out of the tent
2. My discovery leaves your head exposed to rain unless buttoned up tight... then its a hotbox....
3. Bug netting is sufficiently large to let no see ums in... it does keep birds out
4. Mine is 5 years old and the glass top is getting a bit saggy... I haven't treated it well though.
5. I'm not a big dude but its still a little small for two people. an XXL would solve that I expect.

I love:
1. how easy it tears down
2. how easy it tears down.

pappy

photosynthesizing

Look at the iKamper 2.0. I believe it's a family tent.

pappy

photosynthesizing

Does anyone also use their tents in freezing temps and manage ok with the winter liner kits?
I just use one, and sometimes two sleeping bags.

Anyone leave them on ‘permanently’? Is that ok with extreme heat summer and extreme lows in winter like we get in New England, or should they be removed?
My Autohome lives on my 4R. It never comes off. I use it too much. I'm in the southwest. I can't speak for the northeast.

If they need to be removed then is this a multiple person job? I don’t have much help, just me and the wife
It is a multi-person job unless you have a forklift, or some kind of hoist system in the garage.

Also, if this can install to go on the roof rails, is there a point then in me buying a roof rack? As it would cover it completely
You don't need a rack. Several of us use Yakima, Thule, or Rhinorack load bars. For a 200, you are probably looking at a rack. A fella in the club has an iKamper 2X on a Front Runner rack.

Lastly, anyone install this on their own? Is there much to it?
I would not even try to install without some brew and buddies … or some way to mechanically lift it. It's not hard to install, just big and heavy.

I think AutoHome RTT's are among the best RTT's on the market.
Everyone seems to favor the aluminum clam shells thinking they are better and stronger, I don't buy into that, they absorb tons of heat from the sun, something Fiberglass will not do. Most, if not all aluminum RTT's weigh considerably more too.
AutoHome is the only manufacturer (that I know of) that builds a hand laid glass shell using heavy fiberglass matt, all the other brands are sprayed with a chopper gun using fiberglass strands. The difference in strength is tremendous!
90% of the new RTT's out there are copies of what AutoHome has been building for decades.

As always, your mileage will vary.

I think AutoHome RTT's are among the best RTT's on the market.
Everyone seems to favor the aluminum clam shells thinking they are better and stronger, I don't buy into that, they absorb tons of heat from the sun, something Fiberglass will not do. Most, if not all aluminum RTT's weigh considerably more too.
AutoHome is the only manufacturer (that I know of) that builds a hand laid glass shell using heavy fiberglass matt, all the other brands are sprayed with a chopper gun using fiberglass strands. The difference in strength is tremendous!
90% of the new RTT's out there are copies of what AutoHome has been building for decades.

As always, your mileage will vary.
Will check them out

Top Bottom