best engine to import debate update. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been looking to import a left hand drive 73/74 series style rig and waited for the 1HZ; however, on some forums I have been hearing to wait for the KJ-T. They were made in the 93-96 timeframe, so they should be legal to import starting very soon. @SammyT96LX450

Basically, we are talking about engines that were not in the US, so all I know is what I have read on other forums about the reliability of the engines.

Here is the normal engines I hear about....

13BT 120 @ 3400 210 @ 2000
2H 103 @ 3500 177 @ 2200
12HT 135 @ 3500 231 @ 2000
1HZ 4.2L 135 @ 4000 187 @ 2200
1KZ-T 3.0L 125 @ 3600 218 @ 2000

So, @beno stated that the 1HZ is the engine to get based on 26 year run, parts available, etc.

With the KZ coming on the market in the US, does that change?

Here is a thread from a couple years ago on this topic
70 series. What is the best engine to import?

Here is information from Pirate.

let's do some diesel tech: 1HZ vs 12HT vs H vs 2H vs...... what's best?! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

The models the 1KZ T came in are light duty 7* series. Nothing wrong with them, but the 1HZ powered heavy duty MWB are a cut above the rest.
Those power figures are a bit misleading. The 1HZ beats a 13BT in a drag race and is not far behind a 1KZ T. In fact ,if you put a load of passengers into a 1KZ T Prado, you really feel the lack of power(especially in soft dirt) ,while the 1HZ is less perturbed fully loaded.
I drove a freshly rebuilt 2H a few years back, it was exactly like a 1HZ driving around the suburbs and wasn't until you stepped up the pace that it showed its slower side.
The 1KZ T often came with plastic and aluminium radiators (I'm not sure about the 7* series because my experience is with them in 90 series) and these radiators are crap and are behind many head failures.
Anyway, I hope you can test drive a few engines because I just don't think the figures on paper do them justice.

The models the 1KZ T came in are light duty 7* series. Nothing wrong with them, but the 1HZ powered heavy duty MWB are a cut above the rest.
Those power figures are a bit misleading. The 1HZ beats a 13BT in a drag race and is not far behind a 1KZ T. In fact ,if you put a load of passengers into a 1KZ T Prado, you really feel the lack of power(especially in soft dirt) ,while the 1HZ is less perturbed fully loaded.
I drove a freshly rebuilt 2H a few years back, it was exactly like a 1HZ driving around the suburbs and wasn't until you stepped up the pace that it showed its slower side.
The 1KZ T often came with plastic and aluminium radiators (I'm not sure about the 7* series because my experience is with them in 90 series) and these radiators are crap and are behind many head failures.
Anyway, I hope you can test drive a few engines because I just don't think the figures on paper do them justice.

This is exactly the kind of information that I was hoping for. As I mentioned, I don't know of a single one of these within a 5 hour drive from my house, so not much chance of driving one.

Not to put words in your mouth, but it appears that the 1HZ is your pick if you were looking for a 73/74?

The KZJ73’s are very hard to find in good condition with reasonable miles on it. As a daily driver the KZJ73 is one of my favorite 7x models but it has become really hard to find a good used one and these do not stand up to abuse or neglecting like the overbuild HZJ73’s. I am actively searching and looking for a nice KZJ73VX for 2 years now all over Europe and still have not found one that I want at a reasonable price ( max 20k in Europe)​

If you do buy a KZJ73 be prepared to swap out the head because these all crack at one point, you can either have a machine shop modify a oem head and replace the valve seats with a different material or install a aftermarket head.

Hzj73 is still your best bet if you want to buy a Cruiser for the long term,1HZ H55 is a hard to beat combination.

My vote is for the direct injection turbo motors: 12HT, 13BT, 1HDT, 1HDTFT, 1HDFTE, 1KD-FTV, 1VD-FTV, etc. Not all available in 70 series though. The indirect injection motors are ALL great until they have a turbo on them. Then you have power, and head (or piston) problems.

My vote is for the direct injection turbo motors: 12HT, 13BT, 1HDT, 1HDTFT, 1HDFTE, 1KD-FTV, 1VD-FTV, etc. Not all available in 70 series though. The indirect injection motors are ALL great until they have a turbo on them. Then you have power, and head (or piston) problems.

That’s what so great about the 1HZ, it doesn’t need a turbo!

Not to put words in your mouth, but it appears that the 1HZ is your pick if you were looking for a 73/74?

I converted my old FJ73 into a HZJ73 with a fully rebuilt 1HZ and all new OEM external parts except for the fuel pump which was rebuilt. It cost me over $10k and that's what I sold it for 6-7 years later.
I regret it every time I think of it.
The 200kg lighter MWB really made the 1HZ feel snappier than the 1HZ in the LWB models.
Possibly the best all round landcruiser ever made, certainly the best leaf sprung model.
It was comfortable, fast enough on the highway, and super great offroad with just a 2 inch lift and 32 or 33 in tyres. The Australian models had the rear seat moved further back and I have had half a under 16 yo basketball team in there a few times with no complaints.

One more thing I liked about the 1HZ was when you were offroad at low speeds on tight trails. The fuel consumption was so low you would think the gauge is broken. The 3F was getting 350klms to the tank and it jumped to 600 with the 1HZ on road.

As I mentioned, I don't know of a single one of these within a 5 hour drive from my house, so not much chance of driving one.

FYI... @SteveJackson has a plethora of cruisers <3 hours from you. 12ht, 13bt, 1hz and 1hdt equipped cruisers. Looking at the website, it looks like he may not have a 13bt in stock but maybe en route: Land Cruisers Direct - Vehicle Inventory

Drive down and go for several drives!

Good luck

FYI... @SteveJackson has a plethora of cruisers <3 hours from you. 12ht, 13bt, 1hz and 1hdt equipped cruisers. Looking at the website, it looks like he may not have a 13bt in stock but maybe en route: Land Cruisers Direct - Vehicle Inventory

Drive down and go for several drives!

Good luck

I talked to Steve and unfortunately he's moved out to Utah. I have seen several of his rogs, but actually now that you say it, never driven one. Doh, Bart!

I talked to Steve and unfortunately he's moved out to Utah. I have seen several of his rogs, but actually now that you say it, never driven one. Doh, Bart!

My shop is still in Ozark. I've got trucks with all of those motors in stock except the 13BT, a BJ71 and BJ74 left today actually. But more on the way. You're welcome to stop by and check them out.

Hzj73 is still your best bet if you want to buy a Cruiser for the long term,1HZ H55 is a hard to beat combination.

I think I'd agree with that. So many great options, but 1HZ/H55 is pretty dang good for a lot of different reasons. Power, upgrade possibilities and parts lifetime for example.

Are 1HZ engines generally available? I'm thinking of what I might want to replace my little 3B with if it ever croaks...not that I expect it to.

I have 4 of them in inventory now so yes I would say they are not that hard to get, be careful not to buy an ex mine engine or one that comes out a latin american Coaster bus, those are usually toast!

I have 4 of them in inventory now so yes I would say they are not that hard to get, be careful not to buy an ex mine engine or one that comes out a latin american Coaster bus, those are usually toast!

Awesome. So you're saying 4000 rpms, 24 hours a day, for 5 years isn't good for an engine? I'll keep that in mind.

I converted my old FJ73 into a HZJ73 with a fully rebuilt 1HZ and all new OEM external parts except for the fuel pump which was rebuilt. It cost me over $10k and that's what I sold it for 6-7 years later.

A 1HZ swap is probably the best thing you can do to a FJ73. The carb 3F is a gas hog for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom