Best AC shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What did you have them do?
Did they just evac and leak test? Or did they do real diagnosis?
If you got out for around $100, all they did was evac, leaktest and charge.
What are your symptoms? A/C is usually fairly simple to troubleshoot.

They put a vacuum in it after evac, somehow made sure there were no blockages, noticed no leaking, and then recharged. I should note, I ONLY wanted them to evac and I was going to do the recharge, but they didn't listen; of course they were a super cheap shop and the quality showed unfortunately.

The scoop is that the AC is barely just slightly cooler than the outside air. At load (high RPM, highway driving with the fan on high, recirc on) she'll get cooler but at idle or city driving it performs poorly, very poorly. This is nothing new of course this happens to all vehicles, but it is very pronounced.

The biggest symptom is that the AC clutch NEVER disengages which to me sounds as if the pressure never gets high enough to switch it off. My cheapo guage says there's enough 134 in there, and so did this shop, but can't figure out why the clutch never disengages causing of course the mileage to go even further down.

Thoughts?

Roll down your windows!

That works until about the end of June :) and then I swear it's actually cooler to have one's windows up.

Problem is my wife and my 6 month old son don't see saving $ the same way I do...and that's `their' vehicle.

Years ago for my bachelor's party, my brother and I drove to Vegas from Denver in a non-AC'd Honda with leather seats. OUCH! It was record temps in Vegas and as we were driving sweating nearly to death in those dark leather seats and dark green vehicle we were absolutely delerious, but I do remember thinking how it was actually cooler to have the windows up.

My 80's AC kicks serious tail. I'm quite impressed with it... :beer:

Not that they are any more capable of filling freon than any other shop but I took mine to Intech Automotive on Central & Hatcher. It's a small little shop but very honest and very nice guys... also came highly recommended by numerous people in my club. They have my future business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom