Berens Hone Overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I picked up a 71 FJ40 with a berens hone overdrive unit this weekend and was wondering how to operate the o-drive? Can I shift into overdrive on the fly? Or does the cruiser have to be stopped? Thanks

Damian

Best solution is to sell it to me :G
Most O/d's are shift on the fly synchronized. At least the fairey O/d in old Rovers is, and so its the new Ranger O/d that AA sells. I would say make sure it operates fine stopped, then try it at 5 mph, then at 10, and so on to be sure its fully synchro'ed. Make sure you got the clutch in when you try it. If its not synchroed it will let you know! ;) As long as you don't put any force into it when trying it out you can't hurt nothin, just like trying to shift a non synchroed tranny that hasn't been double clutched properly. :D
Let me know how fast it goes with the o/d on, and what size tires you got, an O/D is one thing that I've been contemplating but not too seriously.

CruisinGA,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them this weekend. I am not sure what the tire size is on the cruiser, but I do know that last weekend, I engaged the overdrive while at a stand still, and was able to go 65mph comfortably in the 71 with a stock F engine and three on the tree trans. I was very happy with the performance. I should point out that everything on the cruiser is completely rebuilt. I have it in the shop right now getting some things looked at. I will report back to you on the tire size when I get it back.

Damian

Sounds good. You shouldn't need the o/d to do 65 though. I hit 80 on a loooong downhill in N. GA with just the three/F combo :eek: 65 is about what I stick too on the highway, the more you drive it and get used to it, the better it will go, I wouldn't not be suprised if you can do 75 all day in 6 months or so. (With the O/d and at least 31" tires) Let us know how it turns out, and if you ever need some extra cash and can spare an o/d..... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom