Bender HAMOM Investigation Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.davidmichelle.org
There has been a lot of talk about doing a bender HAMOM lately. If we still have the bender, which I think we do, I'd be willing to work on setting up the event, but would need to get some ideas on some details before we can get started.

I'm thinking it could be a late winter event, but we'd need a garage/shop to do it in, preferably large enough for a few trucks to fit in, access to air and a welder or two.

Here's a list of things that I think we need to make this happen that the club doesn't have that we would need to provide.

A good welder. MIG is probably best, but a good stick would work.
A good quality tubing notcher - makes joining tube so much easier.
At least 2 good angle grinders with different discs for cleaning up welds
Portaband or band-saw
Welding magnets, clamps, etc.

We also need to find a good place to get our tubing. I do NOT have a metal guy that can cut me a deal, so if you do, speak up. If no one does, we may need to see if we can make inroads with someone. Part of my thinking of doing some investigation groundwork is that we could get an idea of how much tube we need and order in bulk, thus saving everybody more.

Which brings me to the next point. In order for this to work, you would need to build a prototype and bring it with you. Hand sketches won't work. If we get 5-10 people wanting to build bumpers, sliders, cages, etc. people will be very unhappy if you spend all day getting the right bends for your stinger. I suggest that in the time between now and the event we all take measurements, pics, etc., make drawings, and even build prototypes out of PVC. That way, if you have a PVC model, you can use it to make your bending more efficient. Do the groundwork ahead of time, so you can actually get your stuff built in a day/weekend.

In essence, all that I have at this time is the knowledge that a lot of people want a bender HAMOM, I know that the club has a bender, and I have a plan to make it work.

If you're interested, please respond with the following info

What you are wanting to build:
How much tube you think you need:
Best month for you (Oct - Mar):
What tools you can bring from the list above:
Any leads that you can look into to help make this happen:

If this thread gets enough feedback, and we can start putting the big things together, then we might actually be able to do this thing. I've got some things I'm looking into as well.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

I don't need any bending but I'll be there to help.

We should also pick up some plate for gussets.

Best time for me is Jan - Mar. The holiday season is too busy for me to sneak away.

I'm in.

I want a rear bumper, front bumper
Jan or Feb
Welding Magnets, HF Angle grinder, Welding helmet
No leads at the moment.

sweet.

I'm in. Don't know if i'll try to build anything this go around, but i wouldnt mind looking at trying to make some mini sliders. If not, i'm always in to help.

Yes I'm in. Sliders and rear bumper for the pickup. If there is a round 2 and I still haven't found an ARB for the 80 then I'll do it then.

I have a cheap grinder and a bunch of cheap grinding wheels.

Prob wouldn't hurt if Marshall could/ would be willing bring out the plasma of his to aid in making gussets, etc ;)

Also we need to find out more about what size dies we have and size tubing we need for our projects. Also agree with steve on getting plate for gussets and winch plates.

We have a 2" die and a 1" die. I have the bender and the fixture I made to mount it to any 2" bumper receiver.

I'm not healthy enough to really have a HAMON or even help. About all I'm capable of doing at the moment would be to sit and taunt you from my chair.

I was hoping to talk to IPOR, ACC, TrailGear, or MetalTech about a group buy on some gussets and some recovery points for the bumpers. Quick and cheap enough would allow more time to be spent on the tubing parts.

Hopefully we can at least borrow the plasma, if Marshall can't come.

We have a 2" die and a 1" die. I have the bender and the fixture I made to mount it to any 2" bumper receiver.

I'm not healthy enough to really have a HAMON or even help. About all I'm capable of doing at the moment would be to sit and taunt you from my chair.

I'll bring the chair and the beer for you!

We might want to look at buying a 1 3/4" die, since that is typical slider/bumper tubing size. Thoughts?

would be interested in a rear bumper pending $$$. If nothing else come out just to help and learn something.

depending ont the time and location, i can throw the bender and marshall in the back of thet truck and bring it where ever.

I was hoping to talk to IPOR, ACC, TrailGear, or MetalTech about a group buy on some gussets and some recovery points for the bumpers. Quick and cheap enough would allow more time to be spent on the tubing parts.

Don't forget I'm an IPOR, Metal-tech and very soon to be TrailGear dealer. :D If we can get a list together of how many of each product people need I can then go shopping and see what kind of deal we can get. We can also combine shipping all to one address (my commercial address is OK) to save more $.

I definitely suggest buying the Do-it-Yourself parts like spindles, recovery points, etc. Gussets and tubing can be bent and cut on site.

My 2 cents is we need to focus this HAMOM on showing people HOW to use the bender on 1 or 2 (max) projects. There is no way we will be able to make everyone's projects in one day.

Don't forget I'm an IPOR, Metal-tech and very soon to be TrailGear dealer. :D If we can get a list together of how many of each product people need I can then go shopping and see what kind of deal we can get. We can also combine shipping all to one address (my commercial address is OK) to save more $.

I definitely suggest buying the Do-it-Yourself parts like spindles, recovery points, etc. Gussets and tubing can be bent and cut on site.

Definitely will work with you once we get further along. I like being connected :D

My 2 cents is we need to focus this HAMOM on showing people HOW to use the bender on 1 or 2 (max) projects. There is no way we will be able to make everyone's projects in one day.

My hope was that this would be like a SHAMOM (2-3 day event) and I was hoping to do the "training" on Friday night and let people get busy on Sat and possibly Sunday. Need to see what we can work on location first, though.

I have heard good things about Metal Express from various people, I will inquire with my "in" at another about group pricing.

Here is my problem with the plasma cutter. I wouldn't mind cutting some stuff for people. But it will have to be at my house with me doing it or at least supervising. I didn't go out and buy a 2k plasma cutter it only cost me 500 or so. That being said I only trust the air coming out of my compressor at home. I'd be pissed if it broke. Considering I use it to make all the brackets for the carbs I sell. Also I've carted and loaned out my welder for the past 5 years or so and it's shows it. I decided last year that it's staying put from now on.

Anyone is more than welcome to borrow anything I have as long as they plan on doing it at my house. Plasma, Welder, Bead blaster, bandsaw etc...

Trollhole said:
Here is my problem with the plasma cutter. I wouldn't mind cutting some stuff for people. But it will have to be at my house with me doing it or at least supervising. I didn't go out and buy a 2k plasma cutter it only cost me 500 or so. That being said I only trust the air coming out of my compressor at home. I'd be pissed if it broke. Considering I use it to make all the brackets for the carbs I sell. Also I've carted and loaned out my welder for the past 5 years or so and it's shows it. I decided last year that it's staying put from now on.

Anyone is more than welcome to borrow anything I have as long as they plan on doing it at my house. Plasma, Welder, Bead blaster, bandsaw etc...

So your saying that this shamom is going to be at your house ;)

J/k we all appreciate what you have done and continue to do for the club.

If i have not bought a set before then, i need a set of sliders for the fjc. Also looking into bumpers. But those are big projects and will tackle them later more than likely.

I have a mig with a big tank of gas, and a few grinders, welding accessories and such...
No hook up on metal, but can check around asheville....

Dave

Edit i also have a 25 x 45 shop but live probably the farthest away.

Just throwing some ideas out for consideration.

For planning purposes, I'd recommend setting up multiple assembly lines: cutting, notching and welding. With only 1 or 2 welders/notchers available, everybody will be fighting for arc-time.

No one person is going to be able to build his project from start to finish by himself - you would need multiple saws, welders, notchers and grinders in order for everyone to be working simultaneously. He will have to rely on others to help, which means dividing the tasks efficiently.

The most important task being the part about having your prototype finalized and measuring everything 2-3 times before cutting begins.

It might also be good to decide on a basic design like the Trail Gear design, so that most of the bends are the same angle (the outer tube). Then everything else about the design could be modular such as adding expanded/sheet metal plates on top and the frame rail stems. The biggest variable would be overall length and distance to the frame rails. This would save you time from having to reset the stops on the bender and setting up the notcher for different angles.

I'd like to be there, if the timing works out. I've been thinking of adding small kick-outs to the back end of my sliders.

I do a good amount of tube work in my business. I can tell you that prototype work eats up a HUGE amount of time. A good amount of time is spent figuring out multiple bends on one piece of tube. There are quite a few variables involved in this.

The radius of the bend is a factor, the die determines this.
The wall thickness of the material has an effect as well. There is a stretch factor as the material is bent.
Keeping the tube straight in the bender so multiple bends wind up on the same plane is also important.

Example:

Lets say you are making a bumper for the rear of a 60. You want a simple main tube that is bent 90 degrees on each end with the outside legs being 75” apart. To do this you need to figure out how long the first side leg will be in relation to the rear leg. Then you need to know where to start the bend to do this. I generally leave a couple extra inches on the side leg.

The hard part is getting the bend start distance from the first to the second bend correct. It is not a straight measurement because you have to figure in material stretch and bend radius.

I generally buy cheaper welded seam tube with thinner wall to use for prototyping.

I would suggest that this event be more than one day, do as much or all the bending in one day and the assembly another day. Building something like a bumper from scratch, and doing it well, in one day without a design that is already figured out is very ambitious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom