Bench Test FZJ80 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to bench test a rebuild of 1997 engine. I have wiring harness, ecu, ignition, and basic understanding of systems from FSM. Has anyone done this? Appreciate any suggestions.

Have you checked youtube engine test stands? There are a couple diy videos that I have watched. I will be doing this one day also as I have been rebuilding motors and wanna test them before I sell them. It’s not overly complicated you would need to wire up oil pressure gauge, fuel pump, fuel cell, starter, some type of rigged exhaust and possibly a radiator if you wanted to run it for very long. The hardest part would be finding a stand that would hold that 800lbs of motor and keeping it stable. There are companies that sell them from cheep to expensive. If you can weld you could build one mounting with your motor mounts.

Thanks for the info, I will check those out. I have a heavy duty engine stand which I will stabilize with a cross beam attached to the motor mounts and blocked to prevent roll. As far as I can tell, the oil pressure sender only sends signals to the combination meter, but if you know of any other critical signals the ecu needs, please advise. Thanks

Success. Using a heavy duty engine stand from Harbor Freight, with the engine braced using the motor mounts, I installed the engine wiring harness, front harness and a good used cowl wiring harness, Osias fuel pump and regulator, mounted an inexpensive radiator, and connected all sensors and ecu. Fired it up a couple of days ago, and have about 3 hours on it. Used a cutoff Y pipe, mounted a bullet muffler and mounted the O2 sensors before and aft, and every now and the it throws a O2 sensor DTC and a transmission temp DTC, but otherwise runs well for an amateur shop rebuild by an old geezer. The oil pressure gauge does not interface with the ECU, checked pressure with an analog gauge, but do have the gauge connected in the enormous wiring cludge. Will continue to break it in and eventually install it in my 97 Land Cruiser if the current engine becomes questionable.

IMG_20230630_205100815.jpg

IMG_20230630_205128515_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230630_205151215.jpg

IMG_20230630_205204833.jpg

Success. Using a heavy duty engine stand from Harbor Freight, with the engine braced using the motor mounts, I installed the engine wiring harness, front harness and a good used cowl wiring harness, Osias fuel pump and regulator, mounted an inexpensive radiator, and connected all sensors and ecu. Fired it up a couple of days ago, and have about 3 hours on it. Used a cutoff Y pipe, mounted a bullet muffler and mounted the O2 sensors before and aft, and every now and the it throws a O2 sensor DTC and a transmission temp DTC, but otherwise runs well for an amateur shop rebuild by an old geezer. The oil pressure gauge does not interface with the ECU, checked pressure with an analog gauge, but do have the gauge connected in the enormous wiring cludge. Will continue to break it in and eventually install it in my 97 Land Cruiser if the current engine becomes questionable.

View attachment 3362488

View attachment 3362489

View attachment 3362490

View attachment 3362491
Nice work keeping it cheep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom