Belt tensioner, idler pulley & belt OEM manufacturer. Dayco or Gates? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW I just got an OEM belt tensioner from the dealer in the Toyota parts box. It's a dayco (cast in the housing).
You got a part made for Tundra Or could the parts guy took the AISIN tensioner and throw in a dayco in the box?

I pay OEM prices if it is made by a subsidiary of Toyota such as AISIN, DENSO etc.,
I bought my OEM belt tensioner from (not sure partsouq or Toyota of Decator) and it is AISIN.

PO had an A/M tensioner. The belt was riding at the front edge of the pulley but the OEM toyota pulley made the belt to contact the center of the pulley.

Last edited:
You got a part made for Tundra Or could the parts guy took the AISIN tensioner and throw in a dayco in the box?

I pay OEM prices if it is made by a subsidiary of Toyota such as AISIN, DENSO etc.,
I bought my OEM belt tensioner from (not sure partsouq or Toyota of Decator) and it is AISIN.

PO had an A/M tensioner. The belt was riding at the front edge of the pulley but the OEM toyota pulley made the belt to contact the center of the pulley.
As long as it works - I'm probably indifferent. But if they all share the same part number, I'm not sure how you'd get one vs the other. Dealership only has one part number that covers all models. In my case it's 16620-0S012 for the 5.7. Given the option I would choose an Aisin over a Dayco if I could. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid OEM price for something half as expensive in a different box.

I'm not sure I even have a bad tensioner. All I know is that I have a squeal at low temps and a squirt of water on the belt ribs silences it. That tells me it's likely the belt making noise rather than a bearing. So my first step is new belt and tensioner. Haven't installed yet. Could also be any of the accessories that is not spinning as freely as it should causing some slip. Whatever the case - it's only at 90k miles, so it seems early to be wearing out a tensioner. I've never had one go bad on any other Toyotas I've owned. Many going out well past 200k miles on the original.

As long as it works - I'm probably indifferent. But if they all share the same part number, I'm not sure how you'd get one vs the other. Dealership only has one part number that covers all models. In my case it's 16620-0S012 for the 5.7. Given the option I would choose an Aisin over a Dayco if I could. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid OEM price for something half as expensive in a different box.

I'm not sure I even have a bad tensioner. All I know is that I have a squeal at low temps and a squirt of water on the belt ribs silences it. That tells me it's likely the belt making noise rather than a bearing. So my first step is new belt and tensioner. Haven't installed yet. Could also be any of the accessories that is not spinning as freely as it should causing some slip. Whatever the case - it's only at 90k miles, so it seems early to be wearing out a tensioner. I've never had one go bad on any other Toyotas I've owned. Many going out well past 200k miles on the original.
I checked it at PARTSOUQ.COM and it says Made in USA, so may be Dayco. You got a 200, the OP has a 100 and the tensioner is made in Japan.
IF IT GETS SILENT, THEN IT IS THE BELT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom