Belt tensioner, idler pulley & belt OEM manufacturer. Dayco or Gates? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just curious if anyone knows off hand who the OEM manufacturers are for Toyota in regards to the belt tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt? Is it Gates or Dayco? I know on the 200 series, Dayco is the manufacturer for these parts. I'm going to be replacing the a/c compressor on my LX470 in a few weeks and decided I'm going to swap these parts out as well. On rock auto it's says Gates is premium/OE. I also found a Gates belt kit on Amazon for a fairly decent price and was wondering if anyone has used these parts with good results. If I was to purchase these parts from Toyota, I'd be looking at well over $200.

Screenshot_20210829-120333_Chrome Beta.jpg

If I remember correctly there are a good number of counterfeit belt kits on Amazon/eBay. To be safe I’d purchase directly from Toyota/Lexus or a reputable vendor to be sure I’m getting the real thing. Not much difference between $100 and $200 over the course of 9 years/90k miles.

If I remember correctly there are a good number of counterfeit belt kits on Amazon/eBay. To be safe I’d purchase directly from Toyota/Lexus or a reputable vendor to be sure I’m getting the real thing. Not much difference between $100 and $200 over the course of 9 years/90k miles.
That is a good point you brought up with Amazon/ eBay, I appreciate the reminder. Rock Auto is a reputable company, and that is where I will more than likely purchase the parts from once I findwho the OEM manufacturer is. I just really don't see the point in purchasing an OEM part from Toyota, just to pay an extra $100 dollars for it to come in a Toyota/ Lexus box, when OEM warranty is the same, if not better when purchased from a place like Rock Auto. Perfect example, is like I originally mentioned. Dayco is OEM for the parts on my 200. The tensioner, idler, and belt all have a 3yr warranty when purchased in the store.Those exact parts purchased from Toyota have a12,000 mile, 12 month warranty.

Dayco or Gates? Can we have more choices? What makes you think Dayco is OE on the 200? That doesn't sound right. Maybe for Tundra engines made in Alabama?

Dayco is OEM for the parts on my 200. The tensioner, idler, and belt all have a 3yr warranty when purchased in the store.Those exact parts purchased from Toyota have a12,000 mile, 12 month warranty.
Well, yes and no. The top part number is from a US manufacturer (maybe Dayco, I don't know) and likely OE on the Tundra. The bottom is OE on a 200 and made in Japan. US Toyota dealerships might just carry the top one nowadays. It's cheaper. They are interchangeable but OE 200 is still available.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.31.23 AM.png

Dayco or Gates? Can we have more choices? What makes you think Dayco is OE on the 200? That doesn't sound right. Maybe for Tundra engines made in Alabama?
Because the OEM parts I pulled off my 200 have Dayco engraved on them. The OEM belt doesn't say Dayco, but the package the new belt came in says on it "Toyota 5.L" and has the belt routing layout on it.

Because the OEM parts I pulled off my 200 have Dayco engraved on them. The OEM belt doesn't say Dayco, but the package the new belt came in says on it "Toyota 5.L" and has the belt routing layout on it.

And you're the original owner? What new belt package? I'm still suspicious. I would never put on a timing belt that wasn't Mitsuboshi or OE Genuine.

And you're the original owner? What new belt package? I'm still suspicious. I would never put on a timing belt that wasn't Mitsuboshi or OE Genuine.
I'm not asking about a timing belt. I'm asking about a serpentine belt.

What's the price difference compared to going straight to Toyota?

I'm not asking about a timing belt. I'm asking about a serpentine belt.

Ah, my fault, saw tensioner and idler pulley and went to timing belt. Even on serp belt I'd be wary of a Dayco or Gates kit. If it was me I'd get Mitsuboshi or OE belt and keep the original tensioner and pulley before I'd put on Dayco or Gates kit stuff. Rock Auto is great but 1) they don't always have the right stuff, and 2) you can't pay too much attention to claims of OE or OEM. The serp belt stuff is easy to get at later.

Last edited:
I'm curious where you got a mitsubishi serp belt from. I've only ever seen mitsuboshi. do share.
6PK2240.jpg

Interesting, apparently I need glasses.

FWIW I just got an OEM belt tensioner from the dealer in the Toyota parts box. It's a dayco (cast in the housing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom