Bellhousing Adapters - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks - New to the forum so please be gentle with me

I have recently purchased myself a FJ45 circa 1980. It was imported from South Africa to my home in Edinburgh Scotland.

My knowledge of Land Cruisers is relatively sparse. I was looking for a project vehicle that can be adapted and enjoyed like the vehicles of my youth!

I am planning on making a few modifications, and one I am considering is conversion to Diesel. Ideally a modern diesel for economy and reliability.
The price of fuel in the UK is such that this make my new toy a little less painful on the pocket to use regularly.

I am considering the Hilux Engine (1KD-FTV) as these are readily available. However, I would ideally like to keep the existing running gear. I have a 5 speed transmission (H55F) although I'm not as I don't know how to identify it exact yet.

Does anyone know if there is a bellhousing adapter on the market that will allow this swap?

Thanks
Mike

The H55F
Stephens 1.jpg
Stephens 14.jpg

The H55F gearbox looks similar to the 4 speed except for the top cover and the back of that box that houses the 5th gear. The 5th gear shift rail is inside that boot that actuates the 5th gear shifting fork. As far as I know the H55F was the only 5 speed available for FJ40s, they were not available in the US FJ40s.

I just had this H55F and transfer case built to install on my 1978. I am going to go with a Cummins R2.8 using an Overland Cruisers 2F bell housing adapter in Montana. Any Toyota diesel used in Land Cruisers that will bolt up to a 2F or 3F bell housing will work you will need motor mounts. But the B series Toyota has a needs a longer input shaft. Other Toyota diesels used in other lines I don't know about.

There are also two versions of the aluminum top plate. All new ones sold by Toyota are fir the 60 and 70 series. The H55F was only offered an option 10/82 on in the short and mid wheel base 40 series. For the long wheel base Toyota kept the hand brake on the back of the transfer case. On the short and mid wheel base hand brake moved to the rear axle. Hand brake on the transfer there isn't enough clearance to the frame torque tube in
front of the fuel tank without some mods.

Here is the top cover used on the H55F in the 40 series.
IMG_20200219_141030884.jpg
IMG_20200219_134954638.jpg

Ok final managed to get some time and take a look underneath. It looks like I have the rubber boot that contains the 5th gear shift rail, on that basis look like the H55f is installed.

So back to my other question, does anyone know if there are bellhouse adapters to allow this transmission to mate to a 1KD-FTV?
I would love to fit something like the Cummins R2.8 but a lottery win is preventing me do so :)

The 1KD-FTV seem readily available from the breaks yards so seems like the obvious cost effective choice - assuming there is an adapter

I found this for you. It is a bell housing that will work with the 1KD-FTV and the H55F transmission.

FJCO 1FZ-H55F Bell Housing​

The FJ Company Brand Store

Regular price$1,250.00
Add to Cart
*Made on demand. Ships 3-4 weeks from order.
The FJCO 1FZ to 5-speed Manual Transmission Bell Housing is the solution for enthusiasts who have dreamed of a manual transmission behind their 1FZ engine!
Users can mate our bell housing to the readily-available, and proven, Toyota H55F 5-speed manual transmission.
  • Dimensions: 42.1 cm (L) x 45.3 cm (W) x 18.6 cm (H)
  • Weight: 16.5 lbs
  • Made of Aluminum
  • Fits Toyota 1FZ engines 1993-2006
  • Mates to Toyota H55F 5-speed manual transmission
  • Includes bolt kit
  • Offered without technical support or manuals. Order only if you’re an experienced technician and have previously determined that it fits your application!
  • Cannot be returned
OEM Parts needed to complete Clutch Kit (parts not included):
  • Flywheel (FZJ70) - 13405-66020
  • Clutch Disc - 31250-36343
  • Clutch Cover (PP) - 31210-36330
  • Slave Cylinder - 31470-60171
  • Pilot Bearing - 90363-15017
  • Release Fork - 31204-36110
  • T/O Bearing - 31230-60130

1KD might be a little light for the 45.

If you want to get an engine that will still have parts available in 2050 then look at a 1HZ. About the same size and weight as what you have in there now. Bell housing and related parts to mate to your H55F available from a vast array of dealers. Including me.

Or you could swap up to a newer R151F or H15#F transmission. You know, something that was designed after 1955.

The yen has never been cheaper, fill your boots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom