Beginnings of Another 80 Expedition Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, I see where this is going. Alright, so back to the weather stripping. Once that is installed, you may end up trapping water in there so it might be wise to put a drain on the bottom edge of the seal with a marine sump pump to pull it out. Good idea to integrate these drains together in a manifold. Oh, and a vent on the top of the seal for minor moisture, which of course should be routed and integrated to the elevated axle vents.......

DougM

Photoman said:
As usual my terminology is not the best. They are really called speed control exhaust mufflers that work with an adjusting screw. Hmmm.

Bill

Ummmmm, thats exactly what I was thinking they were called :D

Nice work, always like reading about your mods

:cheers:

Walking Eagle,

One caution. I don’t know what your project is, but this valve setup always has air to the close side. If air is lost or bleeds down, whatever is held up will go down with it. I wanted my project this way to keep pressure on the rubber bumpers to stop rattling when the covers are closed. It matters little if my covers flop down if the cruiser sits for long periods. You may be better served with a 3 position valve with closed center. Might be best to discuss what you are going to do with an expert (that’s not me). You don’t want to get anything pinched.
I too have another air project in mind. Now Dan has gone and put the pressure on me again. One year. :eek:

Doug, what about those small headlight wipers?

Thanks Montana Cruiser.

Bill

IdahoDoug said:
OK, I see where this is going. Alright, so back to the weather stripping. Once that is installed, you may end up trapping water in there so it might be wise to put a drain on the bottom edge of the seal with a marine sump pump to pull it out. Good idea to integrate these drains together in a manifold. Oh, and a vent on the top of the seal for minor moisture, which of course should be routed and integrated to the elevated axle vents.......

DougM

Don't forget that as long as the air line is there, there should be a high presure nossel to spray the front of the lights so there isn't any water on them. In fact, hook it up to a washer fluid source, so you can clean the mud off them has you go. 150 psi headlight washers, ya, that's the ticket, high pressure wash, then hit it with high pressure air, clean and dry......

Last edited:
Photoman said:
Walking Eagle,

One caution. I don’t know what your project is,

I didn't want to show my hand, or distract your thread, but.... my project is sliders. Got goated into making them rotate, and was going to do a simple pin to lock up, and let the weight keep them down, but coming across some air cylinders, I just gotta power them. The ideal of course would be to have them drop when the door is opened, but I'd like to be able to override that, so it may be simpler to put manual controls inside the cab. Cause what I don't want to have happen is be on a rock, open the door to check where to go, and have the sliders rotate down, giving that last little push the truck needs to tip on it's side, doh!

I was hesitant to post my intentions until I was sure I could and would do it. I prototyped one outrigger with a pivot, and it worked good, and put the step where I wanted it, and then I proceeded to ruin it by getting it caught on a ledge and bending it cause it was not 100% bolted on, and didn't have bracing ect. Now I have all 3 outriggers done, and 1/2 way on the slider/step, just need to cut the outriggers to make the pivot. So I'm a little more confident in sharing. Hopefully I can negotiate enough garage time this weekend to get the drivers side done to the point I can piviot it up and down and have the slider skinned.
slider swing action.jpg

Last edited:
Pure genious or rather genouis in this case.

Walking Eagle said:
I didn't want to show my hand, or distract your thread, but.... my project is sliders. Got goated into making them rotate ...

Might be wrong but I believe Bill's sliders already pivot (rotate.) Last I heard it was a manual pin but he may have them air operated with a hydraulic backup and spring assist by now.

1 year Bill and not 1 day longer. :D

-B-

Beowulf said:
Might be wrong but I believe Bill's sliders already pivot (rotate.)

Yep, Bill's sliders rotate. I'm not claiming the idea to be origonal. I've seen Jeep ones that are spring loaded and when you step on them they come down and when your off them they spring back up (hopefully slowly). At least I thought I saw them in a magazine, maybe I drempt it. The how they pivot is different and His are tube, were as mine will have the shape above. I certainly can't say that his didn't help inspire me. Mostly I said I didn't want to tip my hand cause I didn't want to profess to doing pivot sliders, and then not deliver.

I'll start my own thread once I have the driver's side done. I'm avoiding the cat side. I have an exhaust leak from banging the exhaust on rocks, and I want to replace the cats before I tackel making the outrigger for there. Hate to set it for stock cats, then put in a high flow round one and have it not fit anymore. Anyway, I'll stop highjacking this thread, just saw someone using air cylinders, and wanted to try and pick their brain a little on how to use them as my experience with them is limited, as in non-existant.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain Bill.

Last edited:
Walking Eagle,

I did not mean to force your hand. I just didn’t want to see you buy some components and find they were wrong for your project. Good luck with what you are doing and let me know if I can help.

Originally posted by Beowulf
1 year Bill and not 1 day longer. :D

I hope you have a short memory. :D

Bill

Photoman said:
Walking Eagle,

I did not mean to force your hand. I just didn’t want to see you buy some components and find they were wrong for your project. Good luck with what you are doing and let me know if I can help.
[/FONT]

No, I'm glad you forced my hand. I hope to have something good to show by Monday night. Really apreciate the help.

I don't think this will be able to stay open at speed, but that may be what you want.

Photoman said:
I hope you have a short memory. :D

Bill

You are in luck Bill.

The Wulf's memory is the longest thing he owns.......;)

Bill, do you have photos or a writeup about how your brought power up to your rack. I need some inspiration for a waterproof, multi-wire connector to come through the roof. I don't want the rack on full time, and want a tidy, waterproof connection for driving lights and work lights.

Thanks, -Steve

Steve, did you ever find a good waterproof multi-wire connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom