beat these for cabin air filters (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before replacing new filters, how did you get the dirt out of the bottom.

All this dirt would be on the fan side of the evap, thus there should be little or no dirt in the evap.

However:the best way to clean it well is to remove the evap cover, and get in there with compressed air, lots of water and a thin brush. Check all the time that the drain is flowing freely. I take full credit for being the OP that pioneered this mod, BTW. One of the proudest moments of my life.... :grinpimp:

Here's my contribution..change mine today. I think you still win. I was noticing a smell on damp days. I hope this cures it.

20180325_091949.jpg

Funny, I just changed mine this morning. They weren't too bad, but I did the retro fit last year so they haven't been in there very long. I was expecting them to be worse after driving through a dust storm in Death Valley.

Replaced ours yesterday. Didn't get a pic - they were about 1/4 as bad as the original.

I pulled the blower motor as well - there was quite a bit of debris left behind.

But I wonder if anyone can beat my oddity - one of the parking light vent caps was inside the blower motor, rattling around....

Much quieter now! hahahaha

Mine had the evap cover for the filters, but none there. There was, literally, black wet earth in the bottom of the evap core box from years of leaves and detritus collection and rotting.

Here's what kills me about these filters - I have a 2000LC. When I dropped the glovebox, there was nothing to "retrofit". The slot and cover were both already there, just no filters. Got to LX filters from Amazon and slipped them right in.

So, there was NO reason for them not to include the filters on the LC's EXCEPT for the marketing advantage of selling the Lexus with "cabin air filtration" to differentiate it from the LC (among the other Soccer Mom luxuries included in the LX).

I ordered the kit from cruiserparts.net. Hasn’t shipped yet, but after seeing this I’m afraid to see what it looks like behind that cover in my 2003 LC. It currently has the “no-door” cover, so I’m sure there are no filters back there.

Any tips on how to get in there and clean it out before in out the filters in?

I ordered the kit from cruiserparts.net. Hasn’t shipped yet, but after seeing this I’m afraid to see what it looks like behind that cover in my 2003 LC. It currently has the “no-door” cover, so I’m sure there are no filters back there.

Any tips on how to get in there and clean it out before in out the filters in?
Mine wasn't too bad - I used a brush made for cleaning out clothes dryer lint passages / vent, and a vacuum. Worked pretty well.

There’s a specific brush for cleaning the dryer lint trap? I need one!

Mine wasn't too bad - I used a brush made for cleaning out clothes dryer lint passages / vent, and a vacuum. Worked pretty well.

I ordered the cruiserparts.net kit to add the “correct” cover to a 2003 LC. After I replaced the cover, I opened the filter box from cruiserparts.net and one filter comes out. What? It takes two filters...

I called cruiserparts.net, and they informed me this kit only comes with one filter, and most people buy the kit and then go to Walmart and buy a pair of better filters anyway.

I sadly just ordered the filters linked by @92LXAZ. I’m sad I will have to pull the the glove box out again so soon. I just have the one filter in there for now.

My air conditioning doesn’t smell funny anymore though. I guess it helps I pulled all of this stuff out of it... it was damp, too.

4DC8AED5-5208-4B15-A510-FE5F8097EF1E.jpeg
326B0075-DF4E-45B8-AD2A-0B512E203628.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom