Bay Area shop recs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

I have had my cruiser now for over a decade and have kept it on the road myself but would love to take it to an expert shop for some big items that need to be done.

I am on the peninsula but would not mind going up to mudraks. Is there any other place to consider?

Thanks,

Zhenya

Check out this thread for some more recent feedback on Mudrak.

Even since my post, I’ve had even more issues with the work they did. Both front calipers failed within a year, one to the point of leaking all brake fluid out. Thankfully I didn’t make it past my driveway before realizing my brakes were gone.

I’ve heard great things about Cruiser Brothers in Stockton. It’s a drive, but depending on the level of work you’re needing done, may be worth it.

I also know Mike, the founder of Overland Bound (not sure of his handle on here) has a shop he really likes over in the East Bay. They just swapped his engine for him.

Best of luck. I’ve resorted to just doing the work myself, even though I don’t have the time, as it feels like there’s no convenient, reliable alternative.

Last edited:
Ruggerdly - thank you for the feedback! Anyone that will be willing to give me the names of the shops you mentioned

Here is a high level bullet point of what I want done:
  • Leaking transmission/transfer car ( needs new gaskets)
  • Knuckles
  • General assessment and to see what I have missed
I am also open to mudshop, if someone wants to keep an eye on me while I do the knuckles that has experience, I would enjoy that.
Zhenya

find a good local toyota shop, these cars are great, but other than AHC, most good mechanics know how to wrench on these.

find a good local toyota shop, these cars are great, but other than AHC, most good mechanics know how to wrench on these.

It’s funny you say that, because for some reason our best local Toyota shops don’t want to touch my cruiser. Maybe it is an anomaly to Petaluma, but I had the two most reputable shops in town turn down what I thought was a simple front brake job.

Getting the hubs off can either be straight forward or the biggest PIA, maybe why?

I've been happy with yodaluma, they did a great job on my timing belt/wp/belts, and have heard good things about yodaman in santa rosa

Getting the hubs off can either be straight forward or the biggest PIA, maybe why?

I've been happy with yodaluma, they did a great job on my timing belt/wp/belts, and have heard good things about yodaman in santa rosa

Yeah Ryan at Yotaluma is awesome. He's also my neighbor. He's actually one of the guys who turned down the work though. The other one is Out West Garage, where Ryan used to work. I've heard good things about Yodaman as well, but thought their focus was mini trucks and Tacomas. Do they do Cruiser work as well?

Yeah Ryan at Yotaluma is awesome. He's also my neighbor. He's actually one of the guys who turned down the work though. The other one is Out West Garage, where Ryan used to work. I've heard good things about Yodaman as well, but thought their focus was mini trucks and Tacomas. Do they do Cruiser work as well?
yes, I was going to have them do my lx470 timing belt, but just decided to try Ryan because he is closer to me, just notice your in Petaluma as well

yes, I was going to have them do my lx470 timing belt, but just decided to try Ryan because he is closer to me, just notice your in Petaluma as well

That's great to know. I'll keep that in mind. Yep! Live and work here.

Hey guys first full disclosure. I am not a PMC member....yet. I did pull one who I thought was one of your members out of the RR in Geyserville last summer with my LC, if that counts for anything. (Have a 2013- 200 series) Life has got in the way and have missed your meetings and even the Xmas party.
So with that said, I’m from Santa Rosa and had a friend who was doing some work on my 200 and his buddy was also a long time Lexus/Toyota mechanic who opened up his own shop years ago. John Bonnano Bonanno Automotive | Lexus Repair Santa Rosa CA | Toyota Repair 95403 | Honda Repair Santa Rosa CA | Acura Repair 95403 | Auto Repair Santa Rosa CA
He is great!! He’s done a few things and I have been extremely happy with him. He put my TD suspension on last summer. I now also take my wife’s Sienna there as well and have continually recommended him to others with Toyota’s. From what I heard from a friend that Yotaman doesn’t like to touch LC’s because they are a pain and sends people to Bonnano. While there I have seen other LC’s. 100’s and a nice 60. If you do end up going there, please tell him I sent you. I really like supporting him. Need my starter done soon. 😉

That's great to know. I'll keep that in mind. Yep! Live and work here.

There's a tire shop in St Helena called OK Tire. The owner is a LC collector and enthusiast and works on and restores a wide array of vintage vehicles, any kind of work. His name is Sean. If you call, only ask for Sean. His front lot usually has 5 or 6 LCs parked there waiting to be worked on, and he's a good guy.

Hey guys first full disclosure. I am not a PMC member....yet. I did pull one who I thought was one of your members out of the RR in Geyserville last summer with my LC, if that counts for anything. (Have a 2013- 200 series) Life has got in the way and have missed your meetings and even the Xmas party.
So with that said, I’m from Santa Rosa and had a friend who was doing some work on my 200 and his buddy was also a long time Lexus/Toyota mechanic who opened up his own shop years ago. John Bonnano Bonanno Automotive | Lexus Repair Santa Rosa CA | Toyota Repair 95403 | Honda Repair Santa Rosa CA | Acura Repair 95403 | Auto Repair Santa Rosa CA
He is great!! He’s done a few things and I have been extremely happy with him. He put my TD suspension on last summer. I now also take my wife’s Sienna there as well and have continually recommended him to others with Toyota’s. From what I heard from a friend that Yotaman doesn’t like to touch LC’s because they are a pain and sends people to Bonnano. While there I have seen other LC’s. 100’s and a nice 60. If you do end up going there, please tell him I sent you. I really like supporting him. Need my starter done soon. 😉

I’ll second the Bonanno Automotive recommendation! John’s done a significant amount of work on my 100 and 80 and I’ve have had nothing but great experiences with them. Shout out to Adrian at the front desk as well!

my son lives in Los Altos Hills and needs a shop for basic service on his '96 FJC.
i've been going thru the shops recommended in this thread and most are on the other side of the Bay and north.
i live in San Diego and don't know the area well, so posting up here for any recommendations in the San Jose area.
thanks, Mark

my son lives in Los Altos Hills and needs a shop for basic service on his '96 FJC.
i've been going thru the shops recommended in this thread and most are on the other side of the Bay and north.
i live in San Diego and don't know the area well, so posting up here for any recommendations in the San Jose area.
thanks, Mark

I've heard very good reviews of Shaffer's Offroad in Union City (e.g. from folks at Ladies Offroad Network), but I have no personal experience with their services (since I'm in the North Bay).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom