Battle BornLithium 100 AH (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Seriously thinking bout shelling out a grand for a lithium 27lb 100 AH battery for under the truck instead of or in addition to my 170 AH of odyessy extreme clocking aweight of 140 lbs combined, Im not execting anyone in the states to have much time with one, but what about you aussie boys, any input.

Last edited:
I have one. Ran it in the engine bay, wrapped in gold foil to avoid heat induced shutdown. I had no issues in that reguard with intake temps nearing 140F at one point. I haven't run it in the winter yet. The cold might be an issue. It'll discharge but won't take charge below 25F but it'll discharge (or so I'm told). It won't do either above 135F. I'd look into a heated battery blanket if you're considering using it in the winter.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Battle-Born-Manual-2.pdf

That said, holds a charge very well, charges VERY fast, has built in thermal protection and charge protection. Twice the capacity for an AGM of the same size and nearly 1/3rd the weight. Significantly more charging cycles vs a regular AGM, so in the long run it'll be cheaper to use. It won't start a rig (from my experience) but for a house battery it's killer. I ran it with a Redarc 1225 but from what I understand that's not needed as it's a drop-in replacement for an AGM. I still wanted proper charging profiles and the 200 series I was using had that stupid variable voltage alternator which the Redarc unit compensates for. I plan to keep it and build a system around it for the Troopy. Perhaps even buy another if I end up doing long term traveling with it.

Apparently you can get Lithium batteries like these on Alibaba for 1/2 the price but it's a shady situation and you're probably getting garbage cells, no warranty, and a weird lookng battery arriving in a tattered box that smells like durian fruit. Or just pay the price and have a USA assembled Lithium with a warranty.

Last edited:
I have one. Ran it in the engine bay, wrapped in gold foil to avoid heat induced shutdown. I had no issues in that reguard with intake temps nearing 140F at one point. I haven't run it in the winter yet. The cold might be an issue. It'll discharge but won't take charge below 25F but it'll discharge (or so I'm told). It won't do either above 135F. I'd look into a heated battery blanket if you're considering using it in the winter.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Battle-Born-Manual-2.pdf

That said, holds a charge very well, charges VERY fast, has built in thermal protection and charge protection. Twice the capacity for an AGM of the same size and nearly 1/3rd the weight. Significantly more charging cycles vs a regular AGM, so in the long run it'll be cheaper to use. It won't start a rig (from my experience) but for a house battery it's killer. I ran it with a Redarc 1225 but from what I understand that's not needed as it's a drop-in replacement for an AGM. I still wanted proper charging profiles and the 200 series I was using had that stupid variable voltage alternator which the Redarc unit compensates for. I plan to keep it and build a system around it for the Troopy. Perhaps even buy another if I end up doing long term traveling with it.

Apparently you can get Lithium batteries like these on Alibaba for 1/2 the price but it's a shady situation and you're probably getting garbage cells, no warranty, and a weird lookng battery arriving in a tattered box that smells like durian fruit. Or just pay the price and have a USA assembled Lithium with a warranty.
If I take that plunge it will be located in rear of truck so underhood wont be an issue nor should overwhelming cold.

I have been curious about these batteries too. Only very few reviews so far. In my 18wheeler I have been considering buying 3 or 4 and setting up a charger inverter that will accept solar.. and maybe if I like em I would stick one in my 80. It sounds like it is almost a magic bullet, lighter, more usable AH, and more charge cycles, with faster charging!

On the 100AH batt what kind of usege results are people getting off grid?

I did a bit of reading recently about lithium batteries. There are various types of course. What I noted is that it seems like the Iron Phosphate types are taking over, apparently. More cycles, much safer etc than the basic cobalt ones. Maybe lower energy density, though. But overall seems more desirable. Anyway, seems like those in particular have quite different voltage specs than some of the other lithium types. Might be a good idea to figure out a bit about what types are available and how well they would match the typical vehicle alternator output if connected to that, or what kind of charger / controller might be best if used for a house battery. Or in other words: At those prices, better be a bit careful about such things since the field appears to be quite in flux...

^ Also important, based upon what I've read and experienced with my own LiFePO4 battery: Battery Management System ("BMS") and the perimeters it has been designed to perform within.

I do vaguely remember reading that the LFP are very forgiving of overvoltage unlike the regular lithium ones, so that you can in a pinch use a charger intended for the latter for the former. But still would be better to have the proper charger I imagine. I would not put an LFP battery on a car alternator or regular (esp lead acid) charger without checking that very carefully first.

As long as your charging at 14.4v, bulk you should be ok. Float is around 13.6v for the BB batteries.

That said, I recommend a Redarc 1225 to get a proper charge. Especially if your alternator is variable voltage like many are now-a-days. The Redarc unit is nice, compact and has a built in MPPT charger.

On the 100AH batt what kind of usege results are people getting off grid?

With the 100aH I got about two days/nights, running a 2000W inverter the entire time, charging drone/phone/ect batteries, powering a Whynter 65Q fridge, not trying to conserve power at all, some other power usage stuff I'm probably forgetting, no solar.

If I had solar, I could stay there indefinitely. That's the big plus of a lithium, it chargest up to 5x faster than a conventional AGM.

As long as your charging at 14.4v, bulk you should be ok. Float is around 13.6v for the BB batteries.

That said, I recommend a Redarc 1225 to get a proper charge. Especially if your alternator is variable voltage like many are now-a-days. The Redarc unit is nice, compact and has a built in MPPT charger.

With the 100aH I got about two days/nights, running a 2000W inverter the entire time, charging drone/phone/ect batteries, powering a Whynter 65Q fridge, not trying to conserve power at all, some other power usage stuff I'm probably forgetting, no solar.

If I had solar, I could stay there indefinitely. That's the big plus of a lithium, it chargest up to 5x faster than a conventional AGM.
2 days and nights off a 100 ah using the redarc to make sure its actually carged up full right?

How will it charge faster?
With solar you have a set amount of electricity coming in from your panels. It shouldn't matter what type of battery you are charging.

Should it?

Suuuuppooosedly they can accept or do charge faster, but I have no first hand experience. Sounds like witchcraft. But if it is true, I am interested!

Reactions: RFB
How will it charge faster?
With solar you have a set amount of electricity coming in from your panels. It shouldn't matter what type of battery you are charging.

Should it?

I'm not an EE so I don't know how it'll charge faster, only that it will and does while using a proper charger for the application. :D I'm sure Battle Born might be able to answer it though. I had full charge on the BB 100ah using the Redarc 1225 and my alternator after a little bit of driving. With my old lead acid, it wouldn't be anywhere near fully charged during that time.

Lithium is taking over the boating world as we speak, also been in the RC hobby for a while. I know that heat and discharge are issues which are manageable, but from what I recall proper charging and balancing depending on how many cells you have is super critical.

at least some of the LFP battery packs do have built-in circuitry for balancing, overdischarge prevention etc, so no need to worry about those (hopefully)

I found the heat low temp charging solution, I bought a reLIon 100AH LT low temp battery its in bound and Ill post up the entre thing when I have all of it figured out
Ill be using redarc bcdc charger w/MPPT
140watt merlin solar panel on top of alu cab
150 amp yota sequoia alt(already installed) or the 270amp SBS alternator I bought
lithium will power fridge,inverotr, ARB twin
not sure how Im going to deal with my existing dual odeyssey extrems running off a nat luna dual battery.
will update.

Purchased a small 30ah LFE battery to run the fridge overnight. Bought a relay thermostat to disable charging below freezing. I hear some of the larger starter LFEs have heater elements in them... Not 100% sure on that though.

Im planning on charging it directly off the alternator with an isolation manager designed not to float the LFE. Should have that up and running in a week or two.

Also in my research I found this vid, thought it worth sharing:

Reactions: RFB
Purchased a small 30ah LFE battery to run the fridge overnight.

Do you have enough experience with this set-up to know how well it's working? I have an Engel MT45 and am wondering is this is enough? I would think so for 12-14 hours in camp - especially overnight. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom