Battery problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having intermittent problems starting the LC. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and sometimes when it won't start, if I take the key out of the ignition and try again, it starts. From what I remember reading, I don't think this is consistent with starter contacts. Battery has been tested and it's fine.

So I'm thinking I may just need to clean the battery terminals (unless somebody has a better idea), but can't remember if the LC radio requires a code once the battery has been disconnected. This would be problematic, because I do not have such a code if one exists. Feedback? TIA.

How are your ground connections?

I had the issues you are mentioning and I thought for sure, this was a starter contact issue. So much so, that I replaced the contacts and plunger this past weekend. The contacts and plunger were very worn. This was on a 99 with 104k miles.

FYI - My 99 says it has a code for the radio however I have disconnected the battery a number of times and had the stereo completely removed and never needed a code.

uzj100

Jim_Chow said:
How are your ground connections?

I have no idea - I'm assuming it grounds to the frame or engine block somewhere??? Where do I look (I'm sure I could follow the cable - well maybe)?

I found it very hard to find the main ground on mine. It disappears into some wiring loom and goes towards the back of the engine. I'd clean the terminals first.
Does it make any noise when turning the key. Mine didn't start once, but you could hear the solenoid trying to engage the starter. Mine issue was contacts Im sure. I just kept bumping the key repeatedly and it started. Hasn't been a problem since. Could also be the key security issue. I've read some things can interfere with the chip in the key being read sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom