Battery drain problem... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't figure this one out....i can drive around all day fine but once i turn the car off the truck won't start. Every morning it has to be jumped. The cables around the battery are a lil' corroded but i wouldn't think it would drain the battery. Could this be Alternator related?

It could be alternator, it could be just a dead battery and it could be those cables. I would first clean the terminals up and then have the battery charged and tested. If the battery is ok, have the alternator checked. The biggest mistake you can make is just buying components, I have seen this happen way too much.

test the alt with a multi meter to see if it is sending voltage out, an alt @&@&@&@&s out a little more than 12 volts, see what voltage you have in the battery, then start it up and test it while running... test it right on the battery, take the battery to a battery store or parts store to see if it tests out there

Sounds like it could be a ground problem. When you jump the battery, the circuit has a good ground, and provides power. Without the ground... zip. Take ALL the cables off, clean all the contact points, refasten cables. Try starting it. If it works, you fixed it at no cost. If not, you have eliminated the most probable cause, and can suspect the battery or alternator.

M

I would check the main cable that goes to the starter. That would cause what you are describing.

When you turn the key to turn it on in the morning. What does the voltage read on the guage in the cab? If it reads voltage, then your battery is fine and the the starter is not getting enough energy to turn it over. If the starter tries to turn over but just sounds weak then that is a weak battery or poor connections somewhere.

Next time it does not start if there is voltage on the guage wiggle the big cable on the battery connection going down to the starter and try again. Replace the starter cable if it looks coroded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom