Basic tools to carry while on the trail! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could you please describe what tools are required to fix a repair on the trail. "Birfield replacement" or any other frequent repair that might happen on the trail. Thanks

If you don't know what tools to take with you on the trail, then its unlikely you will know how to use them for a "birfield replacement". Socket set, leatherman and duct tape for me. Anything beyond that I pray that someone who knows what they are doing is willing to help!! Then again, I ain't so mechanical!

Man... how long is a piece of string? You could ask 30 people and get 30 different answers. So... rather than suggest what you SHOULD carry, I'll simply tell you what I do carry and let you decide for yourself. This is an abbreviated list... you really DON'T want to carry all the crap I do. :)

-Metric socket set with at least 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm sockets
-Combination wrenches in the same sizes plus a couple of screwdrivers, pliers, cutters
-Hub socket, 24mm socket
-snap ring pliers
-super glue and tire patch kit
-electrical tape
-a few feet of 5/16' fuel line, vacuum line, and some clamps
-a few feet of electrical wire and a few asstd connectors/crimper
-spare belt or two depending on your setup (put on new ones, keep old ones for spares)
-a little bailing wire
-good flashlight, or better yet, a headworn lamp
-make sure whatever jack you carry is capable of getting a tire off of the ground on the trail. Bottle jacks are, IMHO, more trustworthy than a Hi-Lift and so I carry a couple of short pieces of 2x6 to use under the bottle jack when necessary.

I've probably left some stuff out, but others can fill in... that's the basics... you really don't want to know what's in the back of the Whale... hell, I'm not sure I KNOW what's in the back of the Whale! :)

JJJ

I carry two different sets of tools, all the time tools and off-road tools.

I would suggest if you are planning on breaking stuff to OVER prepare your supplies, stuff like:

Pry/Cheater Bars
Tarp to lay on (in the mud or snow)
Extra Fluids
Gasket making goo
Wire and Electical connections
A good sized hammer
Good manuals

Swap out a birfeild in your driveway and make a list of everything you used, that ought to get you really close to what you need.

Drew <><

Just weld a spare truck to your roof so that if something breaks, you can just flip it over, fill with fluids, and go. . . .

Wasn't there a HUGE thread on this about six months ago? Is it still around?

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=8709;start=msg74915#msg74915 date=1071246447]
Just weld a spare truck to your roof so that if something breaks, you can just flip it over, fill with fluids, and go. . . .
[/quote]

:D An EXCELLENT idea!! Kinda like those little remote control cars my nephews had that would run upside down... you could bash them into anything...

JJJ

The first rule is to only carry quality tools.
When I think of quality tools, the name, "Klein Tools" comes to mind.
Everyone should be aware of the quality of Klein Tools.

IMHO, this is the one Klein tool you should not be without when out on the trail......

http://www.discussnascar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63

Home Despot has them this year..... grabbed a few for stocking stuffers....

John Sherwood '79 FJ40
Charlotte, NC...... TLCA12495, Upstate Cruisers

"-Hub socket, 24mm socket"

i thought they were 54 mm.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=8709;start=msg75790#msg75790 date=1071471648]
"-Hub socket, 24mm socket"

i thought they were 54 mm.
[/quote]

I meant both... hub (54mm) AND 24mm (misc drain/fill plugs). I just couldn't remember the 54mm value as you did. :)

JJJ

My tool bag is pretty light, but extensive in what's in there....I believe I carry every tool to replace everything on my rig, from u-bolts to PS pumps to birfs to rear pinions...

.....and the BEST way to know what tools are required is to take something apart in the shop and track what you used...then make sure ALL of that is included.

I also carry quite a few things for at camp...pitman puller and spare arm, torque wrench, and other things that I've needed in the past...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom