Bantam T3-C (Gambles?) build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brother landed this trailer from an estate for cheap and traded it to me for one of my pickup bed trailers. I have carefully looked it over, and it's a late-model Bantam T3-C, apparently re-sold by Gambles (dept. store). The data plate was intact and is a trimmed and reversed Bantam plate with a different number stamped on the back side. See here: Sears Hiawatha Bantam Trailer - http://bantamt3c.com/hiawatha.htm. I will excavate the tailgate paint to see if I can come up with a Hiawatha name....

The trailer seems to be very complete - 1 7/8 Fulton coupler, correct tailgate, correct landing leg casting, correct safety chains, etc. Needs PM and tires. I do like the Montgomery Wards Air Cushion spare tire. Taillights are all wrong, and I may install Model A Ford lights that are similar to the Arrow lights it would have had.

Like any red-blooded American, I have always wanted a military trailer, and this is close enough. I will likely keep it very close to stock, since it's a bit of a rarity.

DSCN6505.JPG

DSCN6509.JPG

DSCN6510.JPG

DSCN6512.JPG

DSCN6515.JPG

Man nice score there. Those hitches are almost never still on the trailer and crazy hard to find to replace them. I have a '46 T3-C that someone put a newer hitch on and got rid of the original landing leg casting. If you decide to go a different route with the hitch setup, keep me in mind. Would love that landing leg/casting on mine. Great find here. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

@Gretsch - thanks! I'm going to try a sympathetic resto/conservation on this. I don't need a gonzo offroad trailer, and my '77 Ford Courier pickup bed trailer is frankly larger and a lot more practical. I doubt I will change out that hitch affair, since a 1 7/8" ball is not a big inconvenience. I will keep my eye out for any other trailers or parts. eBay has some goodies, if you want to check there.

I will remove the 2nd set of safety chains - you have to wonder why 2 sets were installed. Shockingly, they left the correct originals on there.

A Gambles ad showing that they sold Bantam trailers. Feb '47, right after the war.

Attachments

• Waukesha_Daily_Freeman_Wed__Feb_26__1947_.pdf
    561.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Bantam_Trailer___Waukesha__WI_Daily_Freeman__Feb__26__1947.pdf
    360.5 KB · Views: 45
A Gambles ad showing that they sold Bantam trailers. Feb '47, right after the war.
I know $180 was a lot of money back then but damn....

Finally got back to this trailer after rehabbing a Datsun pickup bed trailer and a boned out Subaru (that's redundant, actually).

I mounted a 215-85-16 tire (think tall and skinny) in place of the rotted Chinese-made 16-6.0 tire that was on it. I saw these tires (set of 3 - perfect) at a junkyard and I got the set for $110. 2 are nicer and one is more worn and will make an excellent spare tire. I only mounted 1 at first to be sure it will fit, and will now do the other 2. Finding a tire store that is 'inner-tube-savvy' is tough. 30-something tire guys generally have never seen an inner tube rim and tire.

Since I had them on hand, I also tried to bolt up a military rim and 16-7.5 tire, and center hole in the military rim is too small.

I removed all the taillights and wiring on the trailer and am starting over with new stuff (not authentic, but US-made at least). I also removed a small piece of pipe welded (and caulked!) to the trailer tongue (probably to hold the title).

DSCN7125.JPG

DSCN7126.JPG

DSCN7128.JPG

DSCN7132.JPG

DSCN7130.JPG

I did the wiring and lights later today. Turned out nicely and I used quick-disconnects so I can easily swap out the lights when I paint the trailer. Everything that matters has a loom to prevent UV decay of the wiring. Soldered, with heat-shrink tubing.

DSCN7155.JPG

DSCN7150.JPG

DSCN7148.JPG

DSCN7151.JPG

Re-bent the tailgate against a phone pole with a jack, and welded up the broken welds on the gate. It's now mostly flat.

DSCN7177.JPG

DSCN7184.JPG

DSCN7187.JPG

Nice trailer. Restored one into an overland trailer too.

You do know there’s a Bantam Trailer website and registry, right?

Go over to Expedition Portal and search Bantam trailer for more ideas.

Here’s my T3-C trailer that I sold a few years back:

Funny thing is 3 years later I find myself back with another trailer (this time a larger Xventure XV1) as I miss having the trailer 100% packed and ready to go camping at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom