Baja 1,000 - Pitting for MasterCraft / Rock Star (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool pics.
I was there pitting for the DA at El Crucero and chasing to La Paz. Saw this Toyota 2UZ-FE powered class 1 buggy. 4WD mid engine A-arms all the way around. Pretty cool. Baja 1000 2010 019.jpg
Baja 1000 2010 023.jpg

And a motel where I'm not so sure I'd want to stay
Baja 1000 2010 025.jpg
Baja 1000 2010 019.jpg
Baja 1000 2010 023.jpg
Baja 1000 2010 025.jpg

I was just reading through the race reports....Very cool

another interesting fact, the only vehicle to complete the stock Full Class was a Lexus 570

Turns out my informations was incorrect. The Lexus did finish the race and only dropped out for a little while at my location.

From the 200 series forum:
Williams of Cruiser Outfitters fix the rear track bar when they pulled into the pits. The rig was shut off because Joe Bacal thought the rig would need welding to repair the track bar.

After the track bar was repaired, Joe and his co-driver tried to fire the rig again, and nada. Something electrical with the security system was not talking to another part of the security system and the only known fix was to let the rig "sit".

so after a few hours, we left and went a little further south and camped. Later that morning (we stayed up most of the night goofing around at the pits) we were pumped to see the Lexus tear out of town, up and going.

We later heard that the Lexus had been loaded on the trailer and after being there.. it started. I also understand he took first place in his class.

Very cool pics.
I was there pitting for the DA at El Crucero and chasing to La Paz. Saw this Toyota 2UZ-FE powered class 1 buggy. 4WD mid engine A-arms all the way around. Pretty cool.

Nice find on the Class 1 Buggy.

So you guys were just North East of us. I am guessing you were in the area where the race course came close to Hwy 1.
That is a big commitment to chase all the way down to La Paz, it was way more relaxing fishing and site seeing for 2 days then getting across the border by noon on Sunday. :flipoff2:

Nice find on the Class 1 Buggy.

So you guys were just North East of us. I am guessing you were in the area where the race course came close to Hwy 1.
That is a big commitment to chase all the way down to La Paz, it was way more relaxing fishing and site seeing for 2 days then getting across the border by noon on Sunday. :flipoff2:
We were at the turn right by HWY 1 in the Yokohama trailer, race mile 334. Chased the class 6 from there to La Paz. Race truck got stuck a few times and had some mechanical issues, but finished in third and second in points for the year. We stayed in La Paz till Sunday then started home, at a nice relaxing slow pace. Maybe next time I'll get to fish.
Baja 1000 2010 072.jpg
Baja 1000 2010 072.jpg

Nice write up videos and pictures Mark! Thanks for taking the time to post for us to drool over.

Awesome! The Lexus is very nice.

I pitted for a team in 2000 for the "Baja 2000" race. Tons of fun. I really enjoyed it.

Heidi Steele

We were at the turn right by HWY 1 in the Yokohama trailer, race mile 334. Chased the class 6 from there to La Paz. Race truck got stuck a few times and had some mechanical issues, but finished in third and second in points for the year. We stayed in La Paz till Sunday then started home, at a nice relaxing slow pace. Maybe next time I'll get to fish.
View attachment 470515
Hello SD_rdcruzer, Very nice picture of Heidi! I am working on a project with Heidi and we are looking for pictures from this event. Do you have others you could email me?
Thanks, Janet@Racewater.com

Had another great trip with a chase crew for MasterCraft/Rock Star/Impact!
Rob Mac took the win and moved within 6 points of the points lead in the Trophy Truck Class so it will come down to the 1,000 for a chance to win overall.
The 30 truck piloted by Pierce was about to take second for a possible 1-2 finish for the team but broke down at RM 192.
More to come about our chase crew getting the 30 truck out and back to camp later..........

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD App

Story Continued........
So my boss and I were in the last chase pit to see the trophy trucks as they passed us at RM 176. And as we were making our way to try and catch them at RM 198 we heard on the radio that Gus Vildosala who was in the lead had broken down at RM 194 and knew that we now had a shot at a 1-2 finish. But shortly after that we then heard that our truck had broken down at RM 192. We were the closest chase vehicle to help, but knowing that the 'A' arm was ripped from the frame we knew we could do nothing without a welder and we were carrying the two transmissions along with other parts while our welder was in a box van at the other end of the race course. So we proceeded to hit up our friends Bad Apple Racing and borrowed a welder but there generator was bolted to the box truck and was too big anyway. But next to Bad Apple, Vildosala's crew was generous enough to loan us a generator to power the welder. Now it was our duty to travel 16 miles into one of the worst washes on the course with a F250 crew cab with a box bed and now (4) 39" race tires, (2) transmissions, generator, welder and (4) guys.
It took almost two hours for us to go the 16 miles trying to stay off the race course and out of the racers way in a tight wash. Meanwhile finding a few diff busting rocks, but the Ford Tough 250 took the hits and kept us going. We were able to get the Truck welded up and back together in a little over an hour and a half. and on our way out of the wash we came across another team in need of welding and since they were wearing IMPACT racing suits and helmets we were happy to help them out and I think they were able to finish the race. We finally got back to the hotel with the welds on the truck holding up the entire way around 5:30 in the evening after a 4:15 AM start to the day.

On a Cruiser note we saw Joe Bacal in his LX570 pass us while we were welding in the wash. He ended up finishing the race in second place out of three starts in his class.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom