Bad Noise. Sounds belt related (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just started motor after 30 min drive and it’s making a bad noise. Sounds like a pulley is making noise or belt related

Thoughts?

Take the belt off, start the engine, see if the noise goes away, if it does, turn off the engine, spin pulleys until you find one acting strangely or reluctantly. Or if that's too much work buy a stethoscope at Harbor Freight and try to find the noise with the engine running, while protecting your fingers, clothes, hair, etc.

check the fan clutch and the fan bracket, don't drive if bad and replace both

Sounds like a bearing: Probably fan bracket.

Just hope it's not the timing belt tensioner pully, they have been known to make noise and eventually seize if not changed at the same time as the timing belt.

Not sure if the Petrol version is an 'interference' engine or not, I know that the Diesel version is, think I'd get my engineer's stethoscope out if I were you.

It was the fan bracket pulley. Thanks for the advice. Maybe my video will help someone in the future although it's not really a good video!

It was the fan bracket pulley. Thanks for the advice. Maybe my video will help someone in the future although it's not really a good video!
Well done 👍🏻 glad you found it, at least now no one can blame it on ‘climate change’ 🤣😂

That's a pretty in depth repair but it's also pretty common on these rigs with 200k+ miles . Good find, if that let go it would do some damage.

Now is the time to consider doing timing belt and anything else you can throw money at "while your in there"

Timing belt was done about 20K miles ago (should have done the fan pulley then, I know). I'm at 286K. In Nov I had to do the belt tensioner pulley. Just the joy of a high mileage vehicle.

Timing belt was done about 20K miles ago (should have done the fan pulley then, I know). I'm at 286K. In Nov I had to do the belt tensioner pulley. Just the joy of a high mileage vehicle.
Install OEM parts for another 200K miles. Also replace the belt tensioner bracket, bealt tensioner pulley and idler along with a new OEM drive belt.

Got it back today. Highly recommend Mayo Automotive if you’re in the DFW area. Also had them throw on the King springs in the rear. Made a big difference in ride quality. Will check pressures tomorrow.

F9BB9008-EEC1-4F68-AB23-39342DB1553C.jpeg

4990CF9D-95E4-4A93-BE49-28CEDAF73724.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom