Bad Carfax or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D

Docmallory

How fast should I run away from this one? ???

1996 LC80. I have not seen it in person. It has low miles, lockers, "never in an accident", right color, supposedly runs perfect, interior is very nice, everything works, no leaks, etc. Asking $15700 , negotiable (in an area where Cruisers, much less locked ones, are rare) KBB says I should pay $13K in "good condition", $14K in "excellent condition". Sounds like the guy would probably do $14K, just from talking to him on the phone.

Guy selling it (supposedly a private seller) says it is a "two owner". He mentioned that he has a friend with a dealership in Lawrenceburg, KY. I haven't yet asked about why it is listed as "dealer inventory".

What really spooks me is the number of Michigan titles. It isn't clear to me what is going on there in 1998 (note the dates on the different titles are about 20 days apart). I'm guessing car was registered as a demo, then sold as a lease, the lessee moved, then?, then car ended up in KY, then guy asks his bud to consign it on his lot... Just a guess.

The rest of the Carfax looks good. Vehicle is in Lexington, KY. I am wondering if it is worth the effort to blow a Saturday, drive 3.5 hours to see it, and/or get it checked out by a mechanic.

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

02/11/1996 NICB
Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original
dealer

03/01/1996 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Stevensville, MI
Registered as
commercial vehicle

03/22/1996 3 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Stevensville, MI
Title #209G0820211
Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Registered as lease vehicle

07/01/1998 21,278 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Joseph, MI
Title #209J1820175

07/21/1998 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Joseph, MI
Title #209J2020009

07/20/2001 52,401 Kentucky
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lexington, KY
Title #012011030056
Loan or lien reported

09/25/2003 86,001 Dealer Inventory
Lawrenceburg, KY
Vehicle offered for sale

Docmallory,

I wouldn't worry about multiple entries like the first 2 and second 2. It probably was leased (many were) then someone else picked up the lease a couple of years later; maybe it was re-leased by the first owner. It was probably sent to auction by Toyota (also very common) and picked up by a dealer that sold it to the 2nd owner in Kentucky.

The thing that I would be most concerned about would be the 5 years it spent in Michigan. If it was well cared for then there may be no rust and corrosion. If not .... then you need to run.

Ask some very pointed questions of the seller and ask him to shoot some digital pics of the underside. Then decide if the trip would be worthwhile. Price sounds reasonable to me.

-B-

I would never buy a vehicle without seeing it, or at least having someone I trusted see it for me.

See if you can find someone closer to go check it out. 7 hours round trip would suck if it was wasted.

With so many nice ones around from private owners, why mess with one that spent most of its life in the rust belt and is now owned by a dealer. You'll pay more through a dealer, or a guy with a dealer buddy as they're more apt to wait for a better offer than a private owner would be. Just my two Euros.

DougM

Doc:

I live in Lexington. I can help you if you like. Since it is not my money, I would be extremely critical/impartial. Let me know. By the way, Lawrenceburg is very rural. I really cannot see that car being sold in that county/city i.e. you barely see the LC's in Lexington and Louisville.

first 5.5 years in Mi = 9500 miles/year. Since it went to Ky. it did over 34,000 miles in 2 years. That is fairly heavy usage.

Dealer has had it for sale since September. If it was a nice low mileage vehicle, I'd expect it to be sold by now by the dealer. Since this guy hasn't raised a new title, he may be trying to flip it.

I would not drive to see it without a good inspection first. If you want to cut a deal, negotiate a price subject to inspection by a Toyota dealer and body shop.

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=10062;start=msg89806#msg89806 date=1074024676]
Since this guy hasn't raised a new title, he may be trying to flip it.
[/quote]

I don't follow what you mean by "flip it". I haven't run across that phrase before.

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10062;start=msg89685#msg89685 date=1074010473]
I live in Lexington. I can help you if you like. Since it is not my money, I would be extremely critical/impartial. Let me know.
[/quote]

You've been PM'd.

[glow=red,2,300]FIRST OWNER..had it for 21K[/glow]
03/22/1996 3 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Stevensville, MI
Title #209G0820211
First owner reported

[glow=red,2,300]
SECOND OWNER ..had it for 31K [/glow]
07/01/1998 21,278 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Joseph, MI
Title #209J1820175

[glow=red,2,300]THIRD OWNER...had it for 34K [/glow]
07/20/2001 52,401 Kentucky
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lexington, KY
Title #012011030056
Loan or lien reported

[glow=red,2,300]THIRD OWNER SOLD IT TO A DEALER.[/glow]
09/25/2003 86,001 Dealer Inventory
Lawrenceburg, KY
Vehicle offered for sale

[glow=red,2,300]You would be the fourth owner.[/glow]

"flip it" just means he bought it to sell it or maybe just "optioned" it from the dealer for a certain price so you will actually end up getting the title from the dealer.

Ah, I see... Thanks for the explanation.

I'm going to pass on this vehicle. Looks like the potential rust issue (which is BIG with me) and the dubious title history make it a gamble I'm not interested in pursuing.

Thanks everyone for their advice!!! Great forum!

[quote author=Docmallory link=board=2;threadid=10062;start=msg90120#msg90120 date=1074057006]
Ah, I see... Thanks for the explanation.

I'm going to pass on this vehicle. Looks like the potential rust issue (which is BIG with me) and the dubious title history make it a gamble I'm not interested in pursuing.

Thanks everyone for their advice!!! Great forum!

[/quote]

Just look for another one. There are many nice rigs outside. Be patient. :cheers:

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom