BACON (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ Lardo is eaten sliced paper thin and thus it spreads like butter. Insane on good Italian bread or toast.

Bacon is still the #1 profile flavor for this southern boy.

Pulled pork sandwiches today and making collard greens. MUST HAVE BACON!

J

IMG_20200209_100601915.jpg
IMG_20200209_100606774_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200209_100729789.jpg

^ speaking of collard greens: Surely you like beet greens too? No pics to prove otherwise LOL but sautéed beet greens (steamed, then EVO'd + sliced garlic, a little nutmeg and S&P) were the star for my Eggs Benedict this morning. English muffin + the beet greens + medium rendered bacon + poached egg + Hollandaise sauce (d'oh :D). First time for this EB variant and won't be the last time!

^ speaking of collard greens: Surely you like beet greens too? No pics to prove otherwise LOL but sautéed beet greens (steamed, then EVO'd + sliced garlic, a little nutmeg and S&P) were the star for my Eggs Benedict this morning. English muffin + the beet greens + medium rendered bacon + poached egg + Hollandaise sauce (d'oh :D). First time for this EB variant and won't be the last time!

We usually get rainbow chard when we can't get true collards. Collards are a bit more leathery and thick and take about 4-5 hours to get to the proper southern texture. Chard takes about a quarter of the time and don't absorb the flavor nearly as much.

J

Love all things chard too! They go on pizza, cannelloni stuffing, on their own as a side dish, etc. And NO to instant grits, instant polenta, instant risotto, instant coffee (ahem!) and just about anything else "instant".

Bacon is still the #1 profile flavor for this southern boy.

Pulled pork sandwiches today and making collard greens. MUST HAVE BACON!

J

View attachment 2206394View attachment 2206395View attachment 2206396

This reminds me of a simple dish my mum used to make.
I've added to it and my son loves it.

I fry some chunky bacon pieces and chopped onion. Add chopped cabbage and cook it enough for it to wilt, but still have a bit of crispness.
Chuck in some steamed potato cubes and cook it for a few minutes.
Add salt and cracked pepper, squeeze in half a lime and serve it up

If I've got fresh baby chard in the garden, I'll throw in some of that.
I makes this with white or red cabbage.
Another thing that works well is thinly sliced fenel.

It's a tasty, salty, sticky treat that only takes minutes to prep.

I've cooked bacon on a rack in a cookie sheet in the oven for years. I put a layer of aluminum foil on the cookie sheet to help with the grease cleanup. Problem has always been cleaning the rack that the bacon sits on, it's a mess. I've recently discovered that parchment paper is much easier to clean up and the bacon cooks in its own grease, taste better too.

I bought a Blackstone grill last year, it's how I cook bacon now.

@mudgudgeon , I was re-reading this thread (looking for ideas) and realized that your mix with cabbage and bacon and potatoes would make a good stuffing in a doughy roll. Kinda like a german Bier Roch, or simply a beer rock.
Those things a Effin' awsome. Sit down to two of those and a cold beer in the morning, Brekki of Champions.

@mudgudgeon , I was re-reading this thread (looking for ideas) and realized that your mix with cabbage and bacon and potatoes would make a good stuffing in a doughy roll. Kinda like a german Bier Roch, or simply a beer rock.
Those things a Effin' awsome. Sit down to two of those and a cold beer in the morning, Brekki of Champions.

Dang, sounds good to me! Might have to give that a go !

Dave

Recently made some Jaeger Schnitzel. I cut up 3 pieces of bacon to use as lardons. Combined bread,saltine crackers and stuffing mix for the breading. Also made potatoes au gratin gruyere to go with it. Great meal.

BD19DEFA-4032-4884-B39B-7D6B0D792568.jpeg

8DAC41AB-CA31-48CE-8D11-0F78190925AC.jpeg

70E80CB7-C662-4136-B603-FDF1D9F73E28.jpeg

I bought way too much meat this last grocery store trip and need to use up the bacon. I knew this thread wouldn't disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom