Back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Please feel free to roll your eyes, I am back in a Cruiser and will be re-upping my ONSC membership promptly. Life's been interesting in good and bad ways the past coupla years, and I am quite likely retiring Mar 29 - so even more fun.

Flew up to Philadelphia Friday, drove this home. It's in great condition all around, very few needs (shocks!). While the KZJ-73 was my dream, my wife kept reminding me - ABS, airbags as this will be my only ride. To say I'm obsessed and thrilled with this is the understatement of this new year so far...

1707746904617.jpeg

Very cool Joe! Congrats.

I would love to see this truck in-person. You'll have to bring it to the monthly meeting one month so you can show it off.

What are the plans for it?

I would love to see this truck in-person. You'll have to bring it to the monthly meeting one month so you can show it off.

What are the plans for it?
I'll definitely be coming to events in it, Alex!

Plans are very modest. As noted, it is in very good condition all around, so I am going to do full baseline (PO already took care of some of it), some preventative maintenance, cleanup; will do new glow plugs and an injector service as well. No plans to lift it. It has brand new tires, new head unit; PO included a new trailer hitch that'll have to be modified to fit so I can mount my bike rack. There's also a lot of leftover Japanese wiring (TV system, toll card reader) that I want to yank out.

Immediate needs are headlights ('96 halogen headlights are weak!), shocks; then I'll attend to the brakes which are ok now but could use an update, tie rod ends and lower ball joints. Aux wiring for the fridge and a distribution block. Add a 2nd battery.

I intend to drive it across country this year to the Southwest, and do other trips in it, so I just want it to be solid. No hardcore wheeling (should I get a BUNYTRLZ plate?) - e.g. no D trails at URE, interested in exploring again...

A lot depends on this pending retirement thing and selling my 3.6 Outback. I wasn't planning to retire in my 50's, but it seems it's happening and I am absolutely thrilled (and a bit scared). If things work out well, an ARB Sahara bumper, sliders, and possibly a winch would be on tap.

I will say, that entire trip home, I was smiling - this thing is awesome, actually moves pretty damn well!

O, and it included all service records, in Japanese! They are religious about their maintenance, which is a huge relief to me.

That's really cool. It's nice to have a truck you can just enjoy and have fun with.

If you are planning to head out to the Southwest this coming year, we should talk. I've been thinking about taking the family out to do the Color Cruise in CO. It's not serious wheeling, it's more to take in the Fall vistas in CO. Think Hurricane Creek, but for a slightly more extended period.

If you need any of the service records translated, I can take a look at them. I'm not volunteering her, but @Fort Knox wife also knows Japanese and can probably translate just about anything. If you are in desperate need to find something in particular, in the service info you've been given, I bet she would be able to help if you asked nicely :)

We will definitely talk, Alex! I hoped to ride out there late April/early May, but it really depends on having the coin available to address some of the needs first. If there's other stuff going on, I will definitely consider it. Wife will fly out as we need to go to PHX to spend time with her niece; I was targeting Northern NM, Utah, some stuff in AZ.

I really appreciate the offer to translate! I have a childhood friend who is very fluent as well, if she declines I will definitely ask for help! (unless the AI on my phone can do it now)

Welcome back Joe.
Look forward to seeing you back on the trails and at more onsc events.
Congrats on the new ride. Look forward to checking out in person. Can’t wait to see how you end up building it out.

That thing is sweet, Joe

And I just discovered this evening the rear axle has the factory LSD!

Thanks guys, I'm excited to get back into ONSC!

Congrats, Joe!!

There was a guy selling one similar in Raleigh not too long ago. He had a ton of info and experience with it. I will try to find it, I don't think he was active in the club, though.

Congrats, Joe!!

There was a guy selling one similar in Raleigh not too long ago. He had a ton of info and experience with it. I will try to find it, I don't think he was active in the club, though.
Yeah, I was in touch with him. He did a lot of work... then sold it.

Congratulations on retirement Joe! Milestone.

Enjoy it and your new toy. Looking forward to seeing the stubby cruiser soon and what your plans are for it.

Welcome back Joe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom