Back up lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey what is everyone doing to improve the back up lights on your 200? My LX back up lights hardly show where I am going??

I’ve been thinking about getting some from Front Runner to attach to the rear of the rack. Just need to get around to it.

These are the best upgrade bulbs for the reverse lights. No LED will be as nice as the Osrams.

Osram 615905-35W 12V GY6.35​

Amazon product ASIN B001BMUFN8
1670689051701.png

I attached some pod lights to this bracket and ran them off the reverse light wires for the trailer plug…so they automatically turn on when I go into reverse
Nilight 90046B Tow Hitch Bracket... Amazon product ASIN B082W6XBYM
7F3DAC1D-C3E6-47F0-A37D-59A794240AEC.jpeg

I have a rear bumper with an antenna mount built into it. I’ve run a reverse wire and ground out to the mount, and will be putting a 3x3 Pod light on it soon.
I used a trailer wire breakout box which I installed inline (series) with the trailer plug wiring.
@highfructose idea seems way easier and just as good result, probably better.

Are these plug and play? just looked at the back, is the access in the tailgate to the bulbs? Very much a novice here!!
Just some very slight bending of the contacts in the plug may be needed. A little flat head screw driver is all that is needed to do that.

Any reason you are not using the other factory light option rather than adding pods? View attachment 3189899
Those are reflectors. Would be nice if someone offered a reasonably priced insert that one could mount pods in there.

I’ve added an arb bumper that partially occludes the reflector at this point anyway though. The pod light bracket is cheap and easy and made sense given I was already running wires across the Wilco for the license plate I mounted.

D9AFA678-8985-4739-8610-2F82487C22B6.jpeg

Are these plug and play? just looked at the back, is the access in the tailgate to the bulbs? Very much a novice here!!
Getting to those reverse lights isn’t super easy if I remember correctly. I purchased led bulbs and then, once I realized it wasn’t easy to get to them, I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle.

They are definitely a PITA to get to, it’s a shame they don’t come with LED’s already in there as the halogens stand out like a sore thumb against the taillights and they barely illuminate anything.

The LX reverse lights are actually in the lower tailgate, so a bit different (and presumably a bigger PITA) than the LC in the video above.

Getting to the back up bulbs in the LX is easy.

Open tailgate
remove tool kit
Remove 10mm bolts
Then unclip plastic inner tailgate cover, there are clips going around the perimeter of the cover. You will need a plastic trim tool for this.

Last edited:
Any reason you are not using the other factory light option rather than adding pods? View attachment 3189899

Good point and these are fairly easily modded to add a bulb. Either wired for backup, rear fogs, or whatever one would like them setup for.

There was a great thread someone else posted that I can't find for the moment. Here's what mine look like setup to be rear fogs / chase lights.

Was considering scene lights to the rear. Decided to double duty the as delivered passive rear stock fog light elements for rear fogs and rear scene.

Rear fogs as I often traverse the tule fog through the central CA valley where the fog gets thick.

Yes it's red, but that's not a bad thing for nighttime. Separately, was thinking to also double duty the large rear backup lights on the LX for added scene lighting, but I'm getting enough light with just these fog elements.

Adding a socket and bulb to the fully fleshed out except for cut receptacle stock light fixture. 7/8" hole saw. Then dremel for the detail detents.

View attachment 2371688

@CharlieS may have a writeup but he put some small rigid fog pattern lights in the stock reflector location and they are awesome.. tons of light but not absolutely washing out the reverse camera, barely use any power, etc.. I bought them after he changed rigs. Can get some pictures tomorrow.

I have ridged 6-LED mounted on my rear bumper. They really light up the place.

I cut holes in my bumper and then t-tapped into the yellow trailer backup light wire for them to function.

BUT they are wow super bright, but they do not seem much brighter that than those cheep LED 6 light things you get on eBay cheep for $30.

Nice because they flush mount.. not so great the price, but they are from my last vehicle that I sold .. so kind-of-free that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom