Back door unlock issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JayhawkFZJ80

95 Landcruiser, 206k miles, slowly baselining
Threads
OK. So.... Maybe a year or two ago the power unlock button stopped working for the back door. It would stay locked.

No problem. Use the key to unlock it right? OK so I move to my back up plan and have used my key to unlock the back door. Except, for the last few months the keys has works sporadically.

And today it doesn't work at all. I'm forcing almost to the point that I'll break the key and it just isn't budging.

There is a mechanism on the inside that unlocks the door very easily but mine appears to be missing something. Can anyone confirm? Is there a part I can purchase that would screw right in and allow me to unlock from the inside until I figure out what to do next?

20220117_235848.jpg

Hmm my motor in the back gave out and that was the source of my issues. I could not unlock via anything but the key. If you take of the handle and pop off the cover you can see how it all actuates. Other than that maybe your key cylinder is gunked up. That’s where I’d start!

Yesterday I opened my rear hatch up and found there was a plastic piece inside the electric door lock motor mechanism that was cracked where it wrapped around the shaft that actuates the linkage. The motor was still spinning in there when you pressed the door lock buttons but this piece wouldn’t turn the shaft because it didn’t have enough grip on it (because it was cracked). I cleaned it up and put a little bit of epoxy on the shaft and slid the cracked plastic piece back on and now it works again (for now). I also cleaned and used white lithium grease on all the linkage while I was in there.

mine appears to be missing something. Can anyone confirm? Is there a part I can purchase that would screw right in and allow me to unlock from the inside
I think it's:

69741-28010-C1 Knob, Back Door Lock Control (Black)

Hmm my motor in the back gave out and that was the source of my issues. I could not unlock via anything but the key. If you take of the handle and pop off the cover you can see how it all actuates. Other than that maybe your key cylinder is gunked up. That’s where I’d start!
ill take off the handle and cover eventually. gotta clear out the junk in the back first. I'll look more info on the key cylinder and see if i can find a way to ungunk it. was hoping for a cheap and easy fix. thanks again

Yesterday I opened my rear hatch up and found there was a plastic piece inside the electric door lock motor mechanism that was cracked where it wrapped around the shaft that actuates the linkage. The motor was still spinning in there when you pressed the door lock buttons but this piece wouldn’t turn the shaft because it didn’t have enough grip on it (because it was cracked). I cleaned it up and put a little bit of epoxy on the shaft and slid the cracked plastic piece back on and now it works again (for now). I also cleaned and used white lithium grease on all the linkage while I was in there.
was the plastic piece yellow? i've seen photos and read this is an issue. i might try and track this piece down. can't be too expensive. thanks

I think it's:

69741-28010-C1 Knob, Back Door Lock Control (Black)

thank you! some of the other parts databases i looked at didn't show this. I'll see if this is an option.

If it’s a clip on the end of a rod I believe this guy will do the trick (10 Door Lock Rod Clips 5mm Rod Size (Left) Compatible with Toyota 69293-12040 Amazon product ASIN B0040D0L02).

All my clips were fine, my issue was actuator motor was done. I tried to replace just the motor but coundn’t get the right shaft with out waiting weeks for shipping, so I just went with this replacement (AISIN DLT-088 Door Lock Actuator Motor Amazon product ASIN B01M16FGBE) for the whole actuator unit which includes the motor.

If it’s a clip on the end of a rod I believe this guy will do the trick (10 Door Lock Rod Clips 5mm Rod Size (Left) Compatible with Toyota 69293-12040 Amazon product ASIN B0040D0L02).

All my clips were fine, my issue was actuator motor was done. I tried to replace just the motor but coundn’t get the right shaft with out waiting weeks for shipping, so I just went with this replacement (AISIN DLT-088 Door Lock Actuator Motor Amazon product ASIN B01M16FGBE) for the whole actuator unit which includes the motor.
Thanks. I'll put this on my spring list to buy and install once the weather gets warmer.

Just curious if you installed this?

Just curious if you installed this?
I did not order the yellow part. The electrical issue of opening the back door via the front door unlock button continues.(very low on my list currently, )

I order a new key from Toyota. After a couple of failed attempts, they finally got it right. So I can open the back door with the use of a key.

The issue was the key had years of use that grinded? ground? the teeth to the point that the back door no longer opened. new key fixed this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom