Axle spindle scratch/groove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys think?

Were you having problems, or did you find this in routine maintenance?

I don't think that would cause any problems. If it's not leaking, don't replace it.

Aka "ain't broke don't fix".

haven't been having any problems found it while replacing wheel bearings. Do however have some clicking on that side when accelerating up sharp turns in parking garage - preparing to to axle rebuild and swap sides.

I would smooth it off with a piece of emory cloth to make sure it wasn't offsetting my bearings ever so slightly and I would run it.

haven't been having any problems found it while replacing wheel bearings. Do however have some clicking on that side when accelerating up sharp turns in parking garage - preparing to to axle rebuild and swap sides.
Hopefully the bearings clear up the clicking for you. Could just be that one of the rollers in one of the bearings isn't turning as freely as the others.

Hopefully the bearings clear up the clicking for you. Could just be that one of the rollers in one of the bearings isn't turning as freely as the others.

Or the knuckle(s) are dry and the birf(s) are clicking?

Have seen a bunch of abused/destroyed Cruiser spindles and never seen one crack, that is no indicator that it cant happen. Cant tell from the picture, but if it is cracked, would not ignore it, if it's scratched likely not an issue. That spindle has been abused, bearings run loose, it's worn enough that the seal chamfer is gone, replacing would not a bad thing.

the spindle isn't cracked, it is definitely a gouge as a result of something. Like someone took a massive flat head and gouged the crap out of it??

@Tools R Us ...when you say it is worn enough that the seal chamfer is gone, are you referring to at the base of the spindle, the first step (closest to the gouge), or the third step?

Have seen a bunch of abused/destroyed Cruiser spindles and never seen one crack, that is no indicator that it cant happen.

My PO managed; Joey is my witness.

the spindle isn't cracked, it is definitely a gouge as a result of something. Like someone took a massive flat head and gouged the crap out of it??

@Tools R Us ...when you say it is worn enough that the seal chamfer is gone, are you referring to at the base of the spindle, the first step (closest to the gouge), or the third step?
Seriously don’t stress anything. Everything is looking fine. No chamfer looks too worn—Don’t waste any money

The the step closest to the flange, where the seal rides, when new, had a chamfer. When the bearings are run loose, the washer and that face take the beating from the bearings hammering. It's an indication of the amount of beating, but doesn't necessarily indicate that the spindle is unusable. For me the proof is in the pudding, if the bearings are properly setup, and they stay preloaded, good to go, if they continue to come loose, likely needs a new spindle.

Can see the chamfer in this pic.
spindle_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom