Axle shaft questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi,

I picked up a used trail spare axle shaft from another mud member. It only has ~100k miles, but I'd like to freshen it up and need a good way to transport it without making a mess.

Two questions:
1) Does anyone have the part numbers for the inner and outer axle shaft rebuild kits?
2) Does anyone know of a good bag that I could transport a spare axle and axle repair specific tools in?

I've rebuilt axles for other vehicles, and have the tools I need to crimp the band clamps and oetiker clamps.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was searching using the wrong words, I need cv boot kits.

Boot Kit Front Drive S - Toyota (04427-60092)​

2008-2020 Toyota Land Cruiser - 0442760092
MSRP:$64.63

Pic off ebay:
9C2D3E8D-410C-4FCF-9DC7-7916D247CF87.jpeg

FYI that boot kit requires a special crimper. If you don't have access to it LMK and I can send you the McMaster-Carr part #s for the worm drive clamps which have the rounded edges that you can use instead.

As far as bags, how long is the shaft, and are you trying to minimize storage space or best protect the shaft/boots when stored?

FWIW if you clean it up after reassembly there shouldn't really be any mess with the new shaft, but if you had to do a trail repair it would be good to at least have a heavy duty garbage bag to put the old one in.

FYI that boot kit requires a special crimper. If you don't have access to it LMK and I can send you the McMaster-Carr part #s for the worm drive clamps which have the rounded edges that you can use instead.

As far as bags, how long is the shaft, and are you trying to minimize storage space or best protect the shaft/boots when stored?

FWIW if you clean it up after reassembly there shouldn't really be any mess with the new shaft, but if you had to do a trail repair it would be good to at least have a heavy duty garbage bag to put the old one in.
Thanks.

I have the specialty tools for the cv clamps from when did this on previous vehicles.

The one I got is messy, and the grease isn't a very nice color.

I like the trash bag idea. I always carry a handful of heavy duty drum liner bags (3mil), and a broken CV is something they'd be perfect for.

The CV is around 28" long and 5" in diameter at the largest point. A rectangular or cylindrical bag around those dimensions would be ideal.

I don't want to take up any more space than necessary, but I'd like it protected.

I had something in mind like a long narrow rubberized fabric zipper duffel that I could line with a layer or two of dense packing foam sheeting.

image.jpg

If the foam gets destroyed or messy, I can swap it out.

In an ideal situation, it'd be nice to have room for the cv prying tools, 39mm socket, 22mm socket, axle nut, nut plate, cotter pin, and a spare c-clip or two. Stuff I don't need for anything other than a CV job. Maybe in smaller loose bags (one for parts, one for tools) inside the larger bag.

I'm looking to keep it out of the way and protected and not making a mess until I need it for myself or someone I'm helping on the trail. I think there is room under the side wings of my drawer system for it (I would strap it down too). If it doesn't fit there, it'd probably go under my second row platform.

I just had an idea triggered by the tool carry bag you posted. It seems like the bags cheap folding lawn chairs come in might be a similar size, and I probably have a few in the garage.

Last edited:
Not sure how goo proof an old lawn chair bag would be. I'm really liking the PVC tube idea!

Pallet wrap or seran wrap it, and get a soft tool bag like posted above. You can usually find them on sale at Lowes or most bags power tools come in nowadays work well. Since my drills hang from peg board in the garage I use the bags to store ratchet straps and stuff in the arb drawers.

61BE6CEB-AE6B-47E2-96A6-6FA91F81CA42.png

My spare travels in a blue ikea bag. Not the fanciest, but these bags are strong and won’t leak grease or oil.

I've been trying to find a piece of 5" PVC to try that idea, but the largest I've found is 4". I may need to try a plumbing supply place. In the meantime, for my next trip, I'll wrap it in a trash bin liner bag and some duct tape and toss it in whatever I can find (hopefully my wife won't notice if one of her Ikea bags disappears...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom