AWD to Part time 4x4 with TJM Diff Lock's. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Its been a while so thought I would post up the current shenanigan's that are going on with my old girl. (the 80... not the wife)

What started out to be a leaking pinion seal on the front diff has turned out to be an accumulation of a number of "to do" projects in one hit. With mine being an AWD, a front diff rebuild would have been the simple solution, however, with the usual driveline slop the AWD 80's end up with, the fresh front diff would soon be in the same sorry state as it would be the only fresh, tight item in the complete driveline.

Looking into the future... Diff locks, front and rear, was to be one of those future "to do" jobs... but due to pulling the front diff out, I may as well do the lockers now. I decided to go with the TJM ProLockers.

20211102_110358[1].jpg

So the other Conundrum I had was weather to go with a Part Time 4x4 system. I wanted to freshen the transfer anyway while doing the diff's and having a 60 and 70 series with the part time and also having a HZJ80 for a short time, I ended up deciding to go that route. However, I didn't want to do the part time kit offered by Marks Adaptors. Instead, I managed to get hold of some bits which one was a transfer case from a VDJ Landcruiser. I knew the HF1A would fit right up to the auto box so was an easy choice.

20211102_111332[1].jpg

I test fitted everything and took the car for a drive and all was sweet!! So, time to strip it down and send the diffs and transfer to my gearbox guy to check out the transfer and fit the Lockers.

However, that's not everything. For those keen to go this route, you will need to make sure you have the correct front CV's to fit the Asin Free Wheeling Hubs. There is a difference in shaft length for the FWH with the early 80's. The Marks Kit supplies you with what you need but if you want to go more of a factory look, it will cost you a bit more.

Another thing to factor in is your tail shaft. Mine is an Auto so the standard shaft was too short, and a Manual shaft is too long. So I had the shaft cut to size and new uni's and balance done on both shafts.

Make sure you replace the output shaft seal on your gearbox also while you are there. Some of the other "smalls" will also include a new shift knob, some adjustment with the shift lever rod and be aware that the shift lever will NOT have the indent ring for the transition from 2WD to 4WD, N and 4L. If you can find a shifter from a pov pack/DX, grab that as they are becoming very hard to find... well here in Australia they are anyway. That will be something I will be keeping an eye out for.

20211102_113705[1].jpg

20211102_113737[1].jpg

The speedo drive was a simple plug and play as the VDJ has all the magic inside... so just unplug the wire from the 80 external speedo drive and plug it straight into the VDJ plug.

Im sure I missed a few things but this is a very doable conversion for those a little handy on the spanners.

Will keep you posted as it goes back together.

Cheers.

There is progress...

Transfer case has been rebuilt and ready to go.

20211121_172258[1].jpg

Diffs have been rebuilt and lockers fitted... Im just waiting on the actuators to come back after their little mod.

20211121_172250[1].jpg

Some fresh Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs...

20211113_162814[1].jpg

New Short CV's... from HDK Japan.

20211115_103608[1].jpg

Both Tail shafts had a freshen up... uni joints, rear shaft had to be lengthened, and both balanced.

20211120_180704[1].jpg

Looking forward to getting this all buttoned up!

Cheers.

We buttoned up the 80 today... so happy how it all went together.

Using Toyota parts made it easy... everything bolted up perfect! The only real modification was lengthening the rear tailshaft.

The diff actuators came back after their mod and the throw was perfect.

20211215_160651[1].jpg

The CV's and FWH all went on without a drama and the diff wiring and air lines went on pretty easy.

20211215_160530[1].jpg

It all looks nice and fresh under there now. Only thing left now is to put some miles on it and see how everything goes.

20211215_160421[1].jpg

I guess if you know.... you know... when you look at it and see something a little different.

20211215_160455[1].jpg

The car drives amazing!! so much smoother. Very happy with the outcome. Is it worth it? Oh hell yes!!

Cheers.

That's a sweet set up! Thanks for posting up all the photos and details. I don't think there is a single part on my rig that looks as clean as your TC and drive shafts. LOL.

Cheers for the feedback...
I dont like oil leaks so I try to keep on top of it all... Very happy with the result... We have been putting some miles on it and it drives AMAZING!! I cant explain the difference in how it drives... I know we are talking fresh drive train but wow!!
Just a pic on how I set up my switches...
Thanks.

20211221_100832[1].jpg

Nice work! Question on changing out to Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs. Is this a pretty straight forward switch out? I am going to be rebuilding my knuckles and if its as simple as removing the full time hub and adding these I might consider it. Also, what was your source for the hubs?

Nice work! Question on changing out to Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs. Is this a pretty straight forward switch out? I am going to be rebuilding my knuckles and if its as simple as removing the full time hub and adding these I might consider it. Also, what was your source for the hubs?
Hi there and sorry for the late reply...

Well... it can be as easy as changing them out... However, it depends on which CV's you have fitted. Dont quote me on the exact year... but Im pretty sure from mid 94 they changed the size of the CV shafts and went to the longer CV shafts... so, if you have short CV shafts fitted, then yes, as simple as bolt on. If you have longs, as I did in mine, (mine is a Oct94 build) then you need to replace them with the shorts.

People have done other things like grind new groves and the like but thats your choice... this is how I did it.

I got my FWH through NAPA

And just to update how its all going so far... its absolutely AWESOME!! :)

The TJM Lockers work so well and the car drives so smooth... I was always a... "Mr Toyota did it that way so leave it" kinda guy... and not saying that he was wrong at all... They made the DX poverty packs part time 4x4... so why not change mine.

Was a great move anyway and I certainly recommend it if anyone is on the fence with doing it. :cheers:

Nice job and nice write up. Some parts might be different in the states here. But you can also save few dollars and cut a grove relocating the c clip in the shafts under the hub. But if you need to replace the "CV shafts" you might as well put the right size in like you did.

The simple jobs always turn into large projects. I went part time becouse i had my T case out to install high and low gears. Figured "while i had it open". I like the part time fine and the truck is very smooth, less wear on the Birfields and stuff, but kind of wish i had the AWD in the snow.

Nice job and nice write up. Some parts might be different in the states here. But you can also save few dollars and cut a grove relocating the c clip in the shafts under the hub. But if you need to replace the "CV shafts" you might as well put the right size in like you did.

The simple jobs always turn into large projects. I went part time becouse i had my T case out to install high and low gears. Figured "while i had it open". I like the part time fine and the truck is very smooth, less wear on the Birfields and stuff, but kind of wish i had the AWD in the snow.
Cheers for your reply... :)

Yep... for sure... certainly cutting another groove has been done before... for me... the Birfields (CV's) were due so it made sense... You are right... we dont think about the small stuff till you are doing it and it always turns into a bigger job that planned. Saying that... I didnt get any major surprises during this project but it did take longer than expected due to waiting on other trades to get stuff done...
Definitely smoother to drive and less wear on the drivetrain... I can see that snow driving would benefit more with a AWD for sure... but i certainly have not come across any regrets at the moment.

On with the next project... a 1HZ swap into a 3F FJ73. :clap:

Hi all.
Just thought I'd give a bit of an update on the AWD to Part time 4x4 conversion... Its been running for over 2 years now without an issue... still love how it drives and having the choice to run only rear wheel drive while normal road driving...
Off road, the lockers are AMAZING!!! I have since done some suspension tweak's, but all been running beautifully.
Cheers.
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom