Auxiliary Fuel Tanks - Pro/Cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done homework on Auxiliary Fuel Tanks. The 24 Gallon on my LX570 feels very small combined with the 12mpg.

Pros/Cons for adding one of these? It looks like you can add a 40 gallon which would jump you up to 64 gallons and 700+ mile range on a tank of gas.

I'll be the first a-hole to tell you to use the search button. Tons of threads on here about Aux tanks. The main ins and outs of it, LRA is the most common, anything bigger than 12.5 gallon and you have to move your spare tire from underneath the truck and everyone who has one loves it.

Has anyone done homework on Auxiliary Fuel Tanks. The 24 Gallon on my LX570 feels very small combined with the 12mpg.

Pros/Cons for adding one of these? It looks like you can add a 40 gallon which would jump you up to 64 gallons and 700+ mile range on a tank of gas.
I installed the 40 gallon about 18 months ago. I absolutely love it. I have had zero issues with it. I tend to fill up my main tank and then add around 20 to my aux tank for everyday use.
My LRA tank is the reason I am keeping my 2015, and not trading in for a 2021 model.

I'll be the first a-hole to tell you to use the search button. Tons of threads on here about Aux tanks. The main ins and outs of it, LRA is the most common, anything bigger than 12.5 gallon and you have to move your spare tire from underneath the truck and everyone who has one loves it.
Can you link other conversations? I tried searching first and was surprised I didn't find a convo about them.

I installed the 40 gallon about 18 months ago. I absolutely love it. I have had zero issues with it. I tend to fill up my main tank and then add around 20 to my aux tank for everyday use.
My LRA tank is the reason I am keeping my 2015, and not trading in for a 2021 model.
Is there a reason you don't fill up both to the max? Part of my motivation would be reducing the frequency to the gas station. I don't know much on this topic, so generally curious about all the plus/minuses

I have a 12.5 installed. Best mod ever, but perhaps second to tires. 500 mile range with this size tank.

IMO, unless you're prepared for the slippery slope of mods and weight implications of displacing the spare, the 12.5 is the way to go.

More info in the link in my signature. Including detailed install notes.

Is there a reason you don't fill up both to the max? Part of my motivation would be reducing the frequency to the gas station. I don't know much on this topic, so generally curious about all the plus/minuses
It depends on whether I'm travelling or not.

My commute to my office is 2 miles. So, with running around town and going to work, 45ish gallons will last me close to 2 weeks.
I just drove back up from south Florida on 7-27 with around 55-60 gallons. I am on empty now and need to fill up. I don't mind filling up on a two week frequency.
It's nice that the 64 or so gallon capacity is always available. I just don't always need it.

Can you hear any fuel sloshing around when the aux is half full?

I am itching to add 12.5 but i am also fearful of crash safety. In a rear end (or any other type of collision or rollovers), are these aux tanks safe?? I hate to add something that actually adds risk to me and my family in an accident.

I fill up all the way when I go to the pump - both tanks for the very reason you listed. Time spent going to and from the gas station is life wasted. So is posting on this forum, but you have to do something 🍩. If you see my post in the thread you found you'll see that I discuss spare relocation. There is no shortage of info on LRA on this site.

I am itching to add 12.5 but i am also fearful of crash safety. In a rear end (or any other type of collision or rollovers), are these aux tanks safe?? I hate to add something that actually adds risk to me and my family in an accident.
It's mounted within the safety of the frame. Nothing is under pressure.

Pretty sure the 2mm aluminized steel LRA tanks are more robust than the factory pressed steel tanks we all roll around with. LRA aux tanks are fitted in the back and therefor more susceptible to a MAJOR rear end collision, but they are surrounded by the vehicles frame and tow bar. The force of an impact that would deform the frame of a 6,000 pound Cruiser and then deform the tank to the point of causing a rupture would be more of a concern than the resulting leaking gas. (In the case of the 12.5 gallon unit the spare tire would also act as a further bumper and skid). Gas tanks don't explode like in the movies. And leaking gas does not catch on fire without an ignition source. Leaking gas does burn when ignited though and you don't want to be in a car that's on fire, but it won't blow up like in a Dirty Harry movie. A far greater risk is carrying jerry cans or their alternatives on the roof or on the rear bumper where they really would be much more susceptible to damage in a typical rear end collision or rollover.

Pretty sure the 2mm aluminized steel LRA tanks are more robust than the factory pressed steel tanks we all roll around with. LRA aux tanks are fitted in the back and therefor more susceptible to a MAJOR rear end collision, but they are surrounded by the vehicles frame and tow bar. The force of an impact that would deform the frame of a 6,000 pound Cruiser and then deform the tank to the point of causing a rupture would be more of a concern than the resulting leaking gas. (In the case of the 12.5 gallon unit the spare tire would also act as a further bumper and skid). Gas tanks don't explode like in the movies. And leaking gas does not catch on fire without an ignition source. Leaking gas does burn when ignited though and you don't want to be in a car that's on fire, but it won't blow up like in a Dirty Harry movie. A far greater risk is carrying jerry cans or their alternatives on the roof or on the rear bumper where they really would be much more susceptible to damage in a typical rear end collision or rollover.
Thanks. I am afraid more of the connections and how they handle in a crash. I am sure that the tank itself is robust.

Safety has also been discussed in the various threads on these tanks. "Safe" means different things to different people. I intend to add an LRA and have concluded that for me, its "safe enough" and there is "enough" experience by people adding these to back that up, at least to some extent. That said, there is a reason (Ford Pinto) most (maybe all) OEM vehicles keep the fuel tank between the axles. If your car did catch on fire after an accident due to an LRA tank rupture or leak, I could imagine your insurance company telling you you are not covered. Even so, a LC is a long way away from a Ford Pinto and there is a lot of steel surrounding an LRA tank but even so, the high speed rear end collision is something to think about and consider in your decision.

I agree 100% with the Jerry can comment. The 12.5 LRA would be a lot safer (IMO) than 3 jerry cans.

I have the 24 gal. LRA and love it. I tow a fair amount and it really gives me great freedom to do what I want when I want. There is no sloshing at all. You will notice the pump noise when you first transfer fuel, that is normal and I grew to rely on it as an easy way to make sure they transfer was happening. The pump noise gradually fades as the pump is primed and transferring fuel (you can hear the pump noise greater on a turn when the fuel moves to the side if the tank is low, etc.).

The fuel transfer time for an entire 24 gal. tank takes about 15 minute in my experience, but this is not a drawback as I want a long lasting reliable pump--slow seems better for reliability. I had to remove my spare, but have not had any problems there either. I do now have onboard air and am an expert tire plugger. Barring total delamination or blowout, I should be okay there. I do carry a spare on certain trips and tows.

I felt trapped always having to worry about fuel and that may have been an irrational response, but it really does feel liberating to really not worry about when I have to stop.

There is one drawback that I did not anticipate, but it's minor. Most gas pumps are usually spend limited at $75 or $100. This means if I'm filling both tanks, I have to swipe my card again. Just a nit.

ETA: I would like to see the official testing or crashworthiness data from LRA or other tank manufacturers. I don't think I've ever seen it posted. Also, it would be nice to figure a way to transfer fuel out of the auxiliary tank if really necessary to give fuel to others, etc.

That is pretty cool, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost. I think I'd rather just go with a couple $100 gas cans strapped to the roof rack.

24 g LRA and it's the best mod you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom