August Trail Ride-Argentine Pass (Clear Creek County) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
We have another "northern" trail on our calendar for Saturday, August 26th.

From Trails Offroad: "Argentine Pass is a beautiful journey through stunning scenery, with moderate obstacles, thrilling switchbacks, and shelf roads that excite your adventure. Along the way, you'll even have the chance to explore the historic Waldorf Mine and Santiago Mines, adding a touch of history to your journey. But the real highlight of the trail is the view from the top - at over 13,000 feet you'll see Gray's and Torrey's Peaks and, on clear days, awe-inspiring Colorado Mountain vistas in the distance. So grab your vehicle, buckle up, and get ready for the offroad adventure of a lifetime on the Argentine Pass trail.==============

The trailhead is halfway through Leavenworth Creek Road, which is off of the Guanella Pass Road above Georgetown.

Think about where we should meet--perhaps on the north side of town....Monument Park and Ride, maybe?

Wow. You are meeting at Monument park&Ride? Now I feel guilty I’m so close… I may have to come ….

This is still happening correct?

I like the idea of meeting in Monument at the park-and-ride. The weather in Georgetown is forecasted to have showers and thunderstorms. Argentine Pass and Stephen‘s Gulch overlook are both well above tree line and I suggest that we get an early start. I suggest meeting at the park-and-ride at 7:00 AM. am open for other suggestions as this is a conversation starter.
I will be riding with COS 80. We are going to make a short stop along 470 W to meet up with Krispy Kritter and deliver a Land Cruiser part to him. We will leave earlier than the group and meet up with you in Georgetown. There are two gas stations at the I70 exit at Georgetown.
Vic

Like Vic said, I'll be there with the new 80. Don't forget my new member application!

I'm in for this one. It is a bit of a run to the start of the trail, so an early start is necessary.

I'll bring an application with me.

To confirm, here’s the plan. Meet at the Monument park and ride at 7 AM. From there, drive to the Georgetown exit on I 70. There are two gas stations at the exit and we will gather up there. It’s a short trip to the trail head from there.
Expect inclement weather and lots of time above tree line.
For the trip home, we can drive across Guanella Pass and through Bailey and Deckers, if desired.
COS80 and I will meet up with you in Georgetown. We need to leave early to deliver a part in Golden.

I’ll be there! Looking forward to it. Both Vicki and our exchange student Maria are also coming!

Last edited:
That was an epic day. We got to the meeting place in Georgetown after a 2 hour commute. Got on the trail about 9;30. Our We made it to Argentine Pass. What a view. Then we got to McClellan Mtn. Another great view. All of that was above 13,000 feet. On the way down we saw some moose in a field. About 5 the group split up and COS80 with Goslowc and I headed out and found the Santiago mine and mill. We took the rougher way out an saw 2 more moose, 2 Snowshoe hares, a couple of deer and lots of Pika on the way out. We left the trail and aired up about 9 pm. Then was the 2 hour commute again.
13.jpg
AP 1.jpg
AP 7.jpg
AP 14.jpg
AP 16.jpg

Here are some pics of driving on the historic Waldorf wagon road that night. This is a signed road that runs along the creek and, in some places, serves as the powerline service road.

IMG_9608.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9612.jpeg

IMG_9616.jpeg

IMG_9607.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom