Attn: midnight black owners. Help requested. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to purchase a new 200 series. I have stayed away from the black ones, but there are as many black ones as there are others combined. I don’t mind it looking dirty, but I do mind scratches and swirls.

Any regret purchasing black? Any suggestions for keeping the exterior looking good?

I’m looking to purchase a new 200 series. I have stayed away from the black ones, but there are as many black ones as there are others combined. I don’t mind it looking dirty, but I do mind scratches and swirls.

Any regret purchasing black? Any suggestions for keeping the exterior looking good?
Other than the fact that it isn’t red or green, the black is great. Plenty of offroading, shrubs, car washes, etc. and, after 8 years of always sitting outside, paint still looks like new. I clay bar and ceramic coat it twice year. Perfect. Land Cruiser paint is good quality and doesn’t get swirls if taken care of.

Last edited:

Based on your member name and photo, I'll guess you go into some backroads where you'll pick up pin stripes. Those will show on black, but the light ones can be erased with simple products like NuFinish Scratch Doctor. Or, since you don't mind dirty, just keep it dirty and pin stripes will be just part of the patina ;)

2013. I have waxed at once in 2016. And clay barred it as spray waxed it after LCDC 7 in 2021 (got most of the pinstripes out). I had it professionally detailed and ceramic coated last year after LCDC8. Pics below re before and after. My point here is the paint is tough and minor scratches/pinstripes come out with effort or money even after years of neglect.

B9DBD8D3-06B3-487C-9EC3-EB3D4E8CE8CC.jpeg
3B3EAA72-6D6F-481F-A2BC-DB17C086B04E.jpeg
18F69AC0-AEF3-4B55-AE34-296734C70776.jpeg

65ED8A4C-C3C6-481D-8DE2-698AC76D381E.jpeg
D3A294BF-3823-4169-B2D7-4EE5D499CCFA.jpeg
F6D4CFE8-DF4F-4C7A-89CA-C85257FE7966.jpeg

In hindsight I would have vinyl wrapped the truck at the beginning and avoided the damage already done, but now that I'm this deep, I just try to avoid doing any more.

I have found on black or very dark blue cars that a black marker pen works great for touching up scratches. Makes them hardly visible from most angles and real easy to do.

Last edited:
I drive it and don't baby it - I just live with the pinstripes. Vinyl wrap would be great, but is just too costly to justify.

I'd drive to Arizona to pay $1250 for a LC wrap - it'd be 4 times that in SoCal

I have some pinstripes that are thru the clear and black. And plenty of hood rock dings which are down to metal.

I think a wrap would also have been penetrated by the trees that created the deepest pinstripes, fwiw. Most of them came from the last 1/4 mile of a completely overgrown trail.

Otherwise the black cleans up nice, and if you’re willing to sacrifice some clear, you can get it back to mirror shiny.

But I’m in the pinstripe lifestyle, and long ago stopped worrying about minor stuff like that.

I personally only wanted a black Land Cruiser and wouldn't have even considered one if it wasn't black.

That said, the paint gets clayed, polished, and sealed (syn wax) on mine every 12 months. It's garage kept and rarely gets driven.

Last edited:

I've given up on detailing, swirl removing, waxing, etc.

I got myself a membership at a local carwash and run the LX through it every time I'm passing through (which is often); sometimes the LX goes through once per day. The car wash does leave micro scratches/swirls in the paint, but it keeps the LX clean. Keeping the paint pristine while actively using the LX is simply impossible. If this bugs you, don't get black.

Just a note guys, PPF and wraps can destroy your paint.
I will personally advise against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom