astro steering with 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
whos running this set-up??
you like it?cost?advice?parts list?is it a must to go hysteer with the swap?any body have a write-up on this anywhere?
already have p/s pump bracket,and steering box with the DD joints attached.
for those who wanna tell me to go sag,dont bother id rather have the space up front for a winch.thanx fellas
shawn

Last edited:
I got an Astro box once and looked this over, along with all the online write ups I could find, it appeared to be way more trouble than I wanted to go thru, I ended up going with a Scout, I have also done FJ60 on stock FJ40's and they are nice........all the articles I found they had V8's in them, I don't recall what was in the way but there was something large I did not want to deal with.
Butch

yeah i know,i dont want chevy on my rig.i just wanna do this cost effective.i already have the mini truck p/s stuff,but i think im gonna move on from that.the mini swap just wont suit my needs in a year or so.
i already have the astro box and upon looking at the way it should be set up it seems relatively straight forward.
plus people want like 200 bucks for 60 boxes.
like i said cost effective.

oh and i aint gotta ask ige nothin bout chebby parts.i already know the deal..:)

i searched for the 60 p/s swap and got nothing.is nobody doing writeups about this swap or what?

I just did this. Works like a friggen champ. Running 37's.
(DURING INSTALL, I now have ford shock towers due to a SOA)

soa7.jpg

EASY install - readily available.

soa8.jpg

I can even get the brakets for you - 60 for the entire setup. All you'll need is the box, bolts, pump, and shaft. (lengthened with 3/4" ID).

Ragman

nice!!!
info i can use.
i notice youre in the springs,i may hafta come and take a look at the setup.
did u retain stock column,and what did u do for shaft.you say lengthen with 3/4 id?? how does the angle work.when i held up my box it looked like it would be at a double 45 degree if you know what i mean.steering shaft on outside of frame rail and box on inside framerail.
shawn

Gonna do one on a 55 soon. The PO had a sag box in front of the crossmember, 40 style. It so obviously doesn't fit I can't believe he paid the guy who did it for him.

It can be rather tight to a 350 PS pump. Depends how your conversion fits. Dunno about a 2F. Front motor mount maybe?

2 bones for a 60 box? I usually see em for Grant, try colorado auto parts... 2-3 60 there. I used to have a spare.. If it's in the garage when I get back from elk hunting I'll give you a smokin deal. It may still be in va. though.

fwiw astro, 60, scout box... all the same basic install. Besides when you go to Hatfields to get a dizzy look at his 60 set up :grinpimp:

wesintl said:
fwiw astro, 60, scout box... all the same basic install. Besides when you go to Hatfields to get a dizzy look at his 60 set up :grinpimp:
this is true forgot bout that. :cheers:

did someone say 60 steering swap? heres a not so great photo of mine, major improvement over the mini set-up i had and i thought THAT worked pretty good.

Did an Astro conversion on a 40 with a 2F. Gumby hit the major issue: the driver front motor mount is in the way. I cut it off the frame and the fabbed up a new mount that went up and over the top of the steering box. I notched the radiator mount to tuck the box up as close to the rad as I could. I might have also had to trim a little on the frame near the front crossmember. Needed to ding the header in a couple places to clear the steering shaft (I used a fairly large diameter shaft; a smaller diameter shaft would have fit better). The van pitman arm didn't work real well for me but most of the Saginaw arms fit the splines of the box. The owner is pretty happy with the results so that's what mattered in the end.

Sorry, no pictures...

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom