Are headers worth it???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help! I'm a fairly new 1976 FJ40 owner and I am spending money here and there, cleaning it up and adding/changing stuff. I will never do serious off-roading, but I will use it on trail and camping and so on. My question is whether headers are worth the trouble of installing them. My cruiser already has a Holley Carb, so I'm thinking of headers then maybe a D.U.I. ignition. If anyone has any thoughts on the header subject I'd appreciate it. Also, what are the best headers out there? thanks so much! Here's my email address if you would rather send an answer there

joerunci@msn.com

I would go with the DUI first. You will be amazed with the difference. If your stock manifolds are not giving you any problems, I would not mess with them, but that is just me. The only reason that I installed headers on my 69 Land Cruiser in 1988 was because of a bad intake/exaust manifold. But, if you have the cash, and love to spend it, get the headers, and the DUI!! Merry Christmas to me!

Good luck!

-Steve

thanks for the advice steve...after reading about all the exhaust leaks, i think the DUI will be my first choice. I have been thinking about rewiring the whole truck, so I could combine the two projects. Do you have any more advice about the DUI? Any experiences to share?

Here's another unrelated question. My cruiser has an aluminum tub. I have been thinking of putting in aftermarket guages in an aftermarket guage panel (which would require cutting). Do you think this is a worthwhile investment? It would require some cutting on the dash.

Headers can result in more power, and up to 1-2 mpg gain. The more power is moderate. I must say that from my experience, the 1-2 mpg gain is definite. Whether this is worth the expense in the long run is another question. A stock exhaust won't require as much maintenance, and will outlast headers for the most part, and leakage is much less likely. But, if the heatriser you need is malfunctioning, like mine was, and you can't get the parts to fix it, like I couldn't, then a header may be your best option. Don't forget, too, that virtually all headers will not fit with a PTO winch.

My '78 has electronic ignition but if it wasn't the case, it would be my first mod.
Second, I would go with headers if and only I need low-end torque and I had to remove the manifold exhaust.
But ... where are you living? Is it cold, very cold or very hot?

Love your avetar!

If you're going to do headers, based on what I've heard I would definitely stick with the ceramic/tuned headers from SOR. Among other things, they keep underhood temps down.

Chris

I have to agree with Steve. Ignition upgrade, skip the headers. Keep the air the carb is breathing cool.

y'all are goofy. The stock manifold is SUPER restrictive, and yes, while electronic ignition is key, headers do alot to free up power and mileage. The air the carb breathes is hot no matter what, unless you've retained the stock air horn.

plus, you can't really make that much more power if you can get that exhaust out of the way fast enough. Skip the DUI, by the way, i've heard nothing but complaints about the quality of the unit. Many failures. I got the Mel's ignition kit for $99 from JTO - cheap and easy to install. He also sells a header for $150. not a bad combo if you ask me.

I went with the Specter 2 piece header, only casue I've had good luck with it in the past(got it on both the 40 and the 60). The ceramic coating is pricey though, i bailed on that.

rob

Just looked at my exhaust manifold the other day and noticed it is cracked so another one (header) goes on the -want but have no money for- list. How exactly does a ignition kit give you more power? I am assuming it sends more power to the spark plug but I wouldn’t think that this would create that much better of a combustion. ??

[quote author=bernefj60 link=board=1;threadid=8866;start=msg76886#msg76886 date=1071677830]
y'all are goofy. The stock manifold is SUPER restrictive, and yes, while electronic ignition is key, headers do alot to free up power and mileage. The air the carb breathes is hot no matter what, unless you've retained the stock air horn.

plus, you can't really make that much more power if you can get that exhaust out of the way fast enough. Skip the DUI, by the way, i've heard nothing but complaints about the quality of the unit. Many failures. I got the Mel's ignition kit for $99 from JTO - cheap and easy to install. He also sells a header for $150. not a bad combo if you ask me.

I went with the Specter 2 piece header, only casue I've had good luck with it in the past(got it on both the 40 and the 60). The ceramic coating is pricey though, i bailed on that.

rob
[/quote]

Getting rid of the stock air filter arrangement does not mean relagating an engine to breathing hot air. Simply putting an open filter on the carb does. The folks who know better spend a little time piping in air from outside the engine bay rather than lose HP with a less dense charge.

Of course the stock manifold is restrictive. We didn't say is wasn't. Still, on an engine with no internal mods and running out of air by 4000 RPM a person might gain 5 HP and about the same amount of torque.

Am Correct that all this is assuming the guy has a 2F? How different would you treat a sbc?

Weeeeee! I'm a regular now :D

Take your lactulose every day and be a regular guy.... :D

Haha...one more post toward addict:) How did you know about my constipation?

Dan, the physics for a SBC would naturally be the same, however, the difference is:

1. With enough looking you can find chevy exhaust manifolds that are less restrictive than others (i.e. they were not all created the same)
2. Because chevy engines came in so many different combinations (small vs. large valves, 4 brl carb vs 2 brl, closed chamber heads/open heads, and cam differences) the addition of a header has the ability to add more benefit. In addition, because an engine is nothing more than an air pump and V8's pump much more air it's more eager to get better breathing.
So someone putting internal mods into a SBC (heads, valves, intake, cam, carb) is not realizing the potential of those additions if they don't run headers ... in that case you can find it costing more than 30 or 40 HP (i.e. ~10%) for the average street engine. For an engine such as a F/2F the gains are much smaller.

The hot air condition is still the same. Sucking hot air into an engine will cost both torque and HP. Always find a way to pull air from outside. Otherwise the addition of a nice carb can be undermined by where the air comes from.

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=8866;start=msg76915#msg76915 date=1071684246]
Haha...one more post toward addict:) How did you know about my constipation?
[/quote]

You don't drive an Excursion, so you must be a tight-assed resident.... :flipoff2:

Does anyone actually know how much headers raise the underhood temp (vs. the stock manifold)? I mean the usual non-ceramic ones. Is it enough to counterbalance the benefits of the change in restriction?

Rob Blumel:

Please provide multiple specific examples and information pertaining to DUI issues/failures.

Thanks!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom