Are any model years more/less prone to rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I was watching some video from The Fast Lane Truck Youtube channel and they mentioned Tacoma has certain model years prone to rust and there was a major recall to replace many frames. Then I watched one of Scotty Kilmer's vids and he mentioned his Toyota Celica/Corolla doesn't have any rust because Toyota made those cars with the right materials to prevent rust. Are any models years of 100 series more/less prone to rust/corrosion? And how does Hundy compare to other Toyota models and other makes of offroad-worthy SUVs in terms of rust prevention?
Thanks!

Tacoma + 4Runner got junk frames during the late 90s to mid-00s. To my knowledge, the 100 did not.

In my observation, all body-on-frame vehicles (regardless of manufacturer) seem more rust-prone than unibody vehicles produced in the last 15 or 20 years. Look at any domestic 1/2 ton pickup or pickup-based SUV... It seems like anything I see that is 10 to 15 years or older has rotting rocker panels, lower rear quarters, and hem flanges (i.e. Silverados, F150s, Suburbans, etc.). I'm not sure if it is a characteristic of the design, manufacturing, etc.

It is also my observation that the newer the Toyota, the better in terms of rustproofing/corrosion resistance. I guess this is part of their Kaizen manufacturing philosophy, but it seems like they actively improve this aspect of their vehicles from year to year.

I've seen really ugly 200s and I've seen uglier 100s. Just as long as its not a Tacoma or Sequoia with the Dana frame, then you're good as the only variable you have control over is the environment (salty or not), and how much the bottom is washed.

"Any model years more/less prone to rust?"

Yep, all those model years that live in the rust belt :D

Seriously - fluid film, krown, etc is a religion up here if you like your rig.

Started Fluid film on my 2015 LX, just coated it this weekend. The truck looks brand new u nderneath. I am i n PA. Fluid film has also helped to slow down the rust on my 2000 lx470.
Great results with this product.

Just moved back to Pa. Had a welder exhaust shop install a new muffler, the original finally cracked after 17 years. He was flabbergasted when he looked underneath-your rig is not from around here. I responded would you believe it spent 4 years in snowbelt of Ohio-fluid film works in preventing slowing rust from salt.

Just move south.. problem solved.. Never have any issues with rust... :)

I have lived in the south, north and in between. I will fluid film my cruiser so I can enjoy the 4 seasons of the north❄️🥶😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom