are all doors alike? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i got my 72 hard top from trading my soft top. however, the driver door is in seriously bad condition.

will any of the hard top doors for the 40's fit? or do i have to get the one to match my top's year?

my top is the one with the swing up style rear door.

Get a 75 or later door. The earlier ones (like mine and yours) blow. The later ones have better/modern handle/lock mechanisms, don't rattle nearly as badly, and look better. IMHO

there are 2(not including the soft doors) styles of early -74 doors, early fj40 corragated top doors(to 64/65) will not fit a normal top.....they look the same but the upper frame is not curved inward to the body, the fit but stick out at the top as well as leaving a gap between the window frame door. Kinda wierd really, I took a set off my 65 fj40 and put them on my 67 fj45.....then stared at em for a while till I figured it out. Whats wierd is a 63-67 fj45 lwb door is the same as a 66-74 fj40 door, so Toyota made 2 different hard doors during those years. The bottoms will fit, so you can take the early bottoms and use the latter top frame and make a set fit

short version
early to 64/65 corragated top doors don't fit the "normal" hard top.
65/66-74 doors are all the same(except the vent windows, 2-3 version of windows) a will fit your top
74-85 doors are the same, except the few latter doors that have a vent window, like someone said above they will fit your body with some minor mods.

Thanks John, you've cured a lot of my nightmares!!!
You can throw a cat between my doors and top. The rig is a '66 but it does not have the old style top. It is a real FRANKEN rig. Fit is OK but not great, and the doors tilt outboard. OK, I'm not crazy...THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
Ed Long

ok, now i need a driver side door to fit... anyone have?

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=4289;start=0#msg31896 date=1060745285]
Thanks John, you've cured a lot of my nightmares!!!
You can throw a cat between my doors and top. The rig is a '66 but it does not have the old style top. It is a real FRANKEN rig. Fit is OK but not great, and the doors tilt outboard. OK, I'm not crazy...THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
Ed Long
[/quote]

fit kinda like this?
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1150077/31671945.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1150077/31671931.jpg

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom