are 3B's a thing of the past or is there still a demand for them ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
After 2 years of no international traveling I am getting ready to go back to Europe to fill my next container . Supply is a lot lower as in the past but for some reason I got offered several 3B's and already bought 2 just because they are available and came from a reputable seller . Are there still people looking for 3B's and should I bring a few more or are these going to be heavy paperweights on the shop floor ?

FWIW I always liked my 3B's especially with a turbo them , they don't break the bank and give you a lot of fun and great mpg's .

My opinion.. unless someone was restoring a BJ-something to original show-room condition, a person would be tad silly to every buy and swap/install a 3B, even a turbo'd one, into anything. Now that the Cummins R2.8 exists, and is actually really affordable in the grand scheme of things, and out performs a 3B in every possible way, I would challenge one's thinking if they chose a 3B for a swap. There might still be a market for people with a broken engine and just want to replace it to get going again without the hassle of a swap, but I that would be about.

Would a 15bft be a logical choice for next step? The 3b is good motor but dam they are old now.

My opinion.. unless someone was restoring a BJ-something to original show-room condition, a person would be tad silly to every buy and swap/install a 3B, even a turbo'd one, into anything. Now that the Cummins R2.8 exists, and is actually really affordable in the grand scheme of things, and out performs a 3B in every possible way, I would challenge one's thinking if they chose a 3B for a swap. There might still be a market for people with a broken engine and just want to replace it to get going again without the hassle of a swap, but I that would be about.
If you have a cruiser that cane with a 3B that needs replacement getting a used 3B costs around 2k give or take a few and you are good to go for several 100k’s.
Swapping a R2.8 is a complete different ballgame and I would go for a 1HDT or 12HT then to keep it yota , if I wouldn’t care about that I would just slap a used LS in it.

Would a 15bft be a logical choice for next step? The 3b is good motor but dam they are old now.
3B’s are everywhere and mostly unabused since they are to underpowered to be abused , finding 15BT’s will be a lot harder and way more expensive but it is a badass engine.

I'd have a 3B over an R2.8 any day of the week. (and I'd have neither if 12HT/1HD-# etc was an option) - the R2.8 is a poorly built POS IMHO.

In this day and age, an N/A 3B isn't fun in traffic but tolerable with a turbo, but you can't get around the issues a Turbo IDI will always have with heat.

I agree. So far I’m not impressed with the R2.8.

you can’t rebuild a 3b for $2kish so a spare to swap in or replace at that price is quite the deal. I would think you would be able to sell those.

I personally wouldn’t swap one in if I were going from gas to diesel, but I do think people will pick them up for that price range.

I would think the only market is those who have B/2B 40 series that need a quick replacement.

My person belief is ONLY post 1990 6 cylinder units for US transplants in 6x, 7x, and 8x series.

and only idiots like H/2H.

I would think the only market is those who have B/2B 40 series that need a quick replacement.

My person belief is ONLY post 1990 6 cylinder units for US transplants in 6x, 7x, and 8x series.

and only idiots like H/2H.
Don’t discount the 12HT , if you ever driven a 12HT / H55 cruiser you know why

definitely a demand here in NZ, especially with all the young guys buying up short wheel base landcruisers and thrashing the living death out of them, ive seen them go for anything from $1500 to $4000 NZD which is right up there , the last job my brother did was swap out a blown 3B ( young guy cooked it ) for a 15BT that owed the young fella $5,500 NZD
Shesh! thats alot of coin

I am currently rebuilding one right now, well worth the money since they can easily run well if maintained for half a million miles or more. One rig came into the shop back in the day with 1 million kilometers.

I have looked at swapping a SBC 383 into my 78 FJ40 but did not like they adapters that were available at the time and they just break components with a heavy foot.
I considered a Cummins 4BT but seems that you are on your own coming up with the necessary adapters. There are heavy and can be tuned to generate too much torque.

I am going to go with the Cummins R2.8 with a H55F transmission and split transfer case and keep my 2F bellhousing.

I liked the 2F but living at the altitudes I do it was alway lacking when I had to get from point A to point B and the milage was poor. Living in Wyoming and surrounding states, towns can be few and far in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom