ARB vs Ironman bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A lot of people have mentioned throwing away the Ironman hardware and replacing with proper grade 8 metric hardware….. but I just got my bumper yesterday and the hardware is already stamped 8.8. Is this hardware just BS stamped with high “ratings” that is weak s*** or did Ironman change their hardware at some point?

edit: I forgot 8.8 is mid strength, I ordered all JIS 10.9 flange hardware from Mcmaster-Carr for $104 shipped. I got the M8 flange in black phosphate coated as well so they blend in for the under skid plates and with the flange head you can omit the silver washers.

Last edited:
The fact that IM includes LED fogs standard now is great. With that said, I already had KC gravity LED amber G4 fog lights which I think are the hands down best performing 4” fog light, and they mount exactly the same as the IM. If it weren’t for the different light color, it wouldn’t have been worth changing.

The KC housing is a little more narrow than IM, by 15mm. So I got some new longer M5 screws, 1/4” long aluminum spacers, and a couple M5 washers to take up the slack. Easy peasy.

If anyone with an older bar wants to upgrade to the IM LED fogs, shoot me a PM with an offer.

Install happens tomorrow.
9DAE936C-CA27-4F31-9ED5-645C8F64C18D.jpeg

DBFFB643-5E0E-4B2F-B67E-46D996500F18.jpeg

Grade 8 hardware won’t help your grade 2 bumper.

I am on year 12 with my Iron Man and was in many of your research photos in this thread. Still holding up just fine.

20220715_193109249_iOS.jpg

They're all spec's for prado, so mods for GX fitment.

I found an ARB in 4th gen 4r and hand measured..from grill it sets forward 7".
AFAICT, This is to account for a winch to mount on the bumper tray, in front of bumper beam, not replacing bumper beam.
View attachment 2570237View attachment 2570238
I saw a GX with an ARB bumper that doesn't appear to require fender trimming. It was on a Craig List at Miramar Motorsports in San Diego.
1707282578020.png

1707282645437.png

1707282700480.png

1707282775868.png

Does anybody have an idea what this bumper was originally for?
I was think in it might be for a Tacoma or 4Runner.

I saw a GX with an ARB bumper that doesn't appear to require fender trimming. It was on a Craig List at Miramar Motorsports in San Diego.
View attachment 3552390
View attachment 3552391
View attachment 3552393
View attachment 3552395

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. You can shimmy it all sorts of ways for different fitment. This one appears to be mounted lower, not as much fender cuts, but more gap under the headlights which they covered.

View attachment 3552390
View attachment 3552391
View attachment 3552393
View attachment 3552395

I would be nervous with such tight clearance between the body panels and the bull bar. The bull bar is mounted to the frame, but the body is mounted on isolators which are mounted to the frame, and therefore the body can move a bit by itself compared to the frame. Going down a hard road may cause the bull bar and panels to get in a fight.

Somewhere on youtube is a video of an Australian aftermarket company testing a truck on a track with alternating speed bumps, and the video illustrates the effect quite nicely. Unfortunately I can't find it at this moment.

As a matter of note for the ARB bull bar, late last year I found that it was shedding its main mounting bolts, as the nuts were coming off. Luckily I detected the issue before anything happened. I therefore HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you trade the stock nuts for nylocks when installing a bull bar.

You could also use thread lock, but an automotive design engineer once told me long ago that it only takes a couple molecules of that stuff to kill a mass airflow sensor, and so I avoid keeping that stuff in my garage. I don't know if it was true, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

You could also use thread lock, but an automotive design engineer once told me long ago that it only takes a couple molecules of that stuff to kill a mass airflow sensor, and so I avoid keeping that stuff in my garage. I don't know if it was true, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.
I highly doubt dried thread locker on a body fastener would have any impact on a MAF.

I highly doubt dried thread locker on a body fastener would have any impact on a MAF.
The issue is when it is fresh and still in liquid form, as it is emitting a gas at that time.

The Bull bar does not seem to be from the Prado.
The Prado mounts higher and has a notch on the rear edge.

1708388511901.png
1708388824349.png

On the GX this requires trimming the fender and the fender flare.
The one in San Diego sits lower and is only trimming the plastic bumper to fill the gap below the headlights.

1708389016676.png

It could also be mounted slightly lower for more clearance if desired. This just seems to be a cleaner looking install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom