ARB locker front and rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had an installer tell me he recommended not doing front and rear lockers on my HZJ77. Anyone here ever heard of this? WHY?

I had an installer tell me he recommended not doing front and rear lockers on my HZJ77. Anyone here ever heard of this? WHY?
Did he say why he didn’t recommend it?

harder to steer

Gee, if only there were some way to turn it off when you didn't need it... :lol:

Tell him you'll take your chances or find a different installer.

Well, it is, I suppose, when it is locked in. What he is saying still does not make sense, though.

Only lock them in when you have some particularly tough section to get through. You will have an even tougher time getting unstuck.

I have both front and rear diff locks from factory, and they can be a life saver. I love them. Used in the right way, at the right time, they can actually help you get gently through some areas that you would normally have to flog your machine to get past, possibly breaking something along the way.

Just don't drive around with it locked in all the time.

Last edited:
Only when they are engaged, selectable lockers like ARBs are the best option, turn them on when you need them, leave them off when you don't. The "lunch box" types are the ones to avoid especially in the front.

You have to be conscience of the additional strain it puts on the drive train and use them when appropriate, especially the front, using them improperly can cause more harm then good. Just like anything in life, I guess that's why there are shows out there like "Winning the lottery ruined my life" I may have seen your installer on that show.

harder to steer
Its like having a first aid kit in your glovebox. Most of the time it just takes up useful space but on that one occasion when you need it, you’re glad it’s there. 😊

I was just curious if things had changed since the 90's. I am still a fan of both front and rear lockers. Just insurance for me I guess.
Thanks for the response/s.

Front locker engaged at the wrong time can be dangerous. Watched a Jeep rubicon try to navigate a off camber wet rock with the front locked and he started spinning the front lost any traction and steering he had and the jeep then pivoted down off the rock and down the hill to it's demise.
It can be an amazing addition to your arsenal but it has to be used appropriately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom